Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jack Hinshelwood [9/4/24: new deal to 2028]

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The lad's 18, come through the academy, is the son of a former Brighton player and is Brighton* born and bred.

If ever there was a player a Brighton fan should want to succeed it's Hinshelwood. I'm genuinely shocked to see him criticised so virulently, especially when playing out of position in only his third premier league appearance. Apart from being way too early in his career to be making such concrete judgements we should be far more respectful of the fact that he's a) still a young kid and b)he's one of our own.

*Yes, I know he's technically from Worthing...but he's Brighton in the footballing sense. And geographically worthin is basically Brighton anyway :eek:
Definitely this. He was thrown in against an experienced three-man Villa midfield and has now been played out of position. Give him a break and remember that excellent forward run just after he had, in fact, given the penalty away.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Harsh given he wasn’t even on the pitch.
👏

Veltman lost his marker & got sucked in to the striker (who was jpvh man) rather than staying with the winger

Jack was only guilty / at fault for the 2nd goal

But in the rest of play. Veltman is clas & Jack is learning

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I hope he proves me wrong I really do. But I can see a mile off he doesn't have the talent to be an epl player. No disrespect to the guy though I'm sure he will still make a lot of money playing in the championship.
No disrespect you say? I think you’re being very disrespectful tbh.

You’re also trolling again, like the weapon you are.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I understand deciding you don't like a player and then looking to put the boot in at every opportunity, but the kid is 18 and playing Premier League football. There aren't many who are doing that and whatever you think of him, he wouldn't be if we weren't ravaged by injuries and chose to leave ourselves short of defensive cover in the summer transfer window. It's not Hinshelwood's fault and he probably wouldn't be playing if it wasn't absolutely necessary. He has my full respect and to me, he looks like a player of real potential.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I understand deciding you don't like a player and then looking to put the boot in at every opportunity, but the kid is 18 and playing Premier League football. There aren't many who are doing that and whatever you think of him, he wouldn't be if we weren't ravaged by injuries and chose to leave ourselves short of defensive cover in the summer transfer window. It's not Hinshelwood's fault and he probably wouldn't be playing if it wasn't absolutely necessary. He has my full respect and to me, he looks like a player of real potential.
Is the right answer. A month ago he was bossing the midfield in the U21, learning his trade before perhaps moving to a L1 club next season. I speculate. Circumstances have resulted in his rapid progression to the toughest league in the world playing in a position he isn’t familiar with.
Give him a chance ffs.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I just don't understand the level of confidence needed for fans to rule out the potential of an Academy player being given his first chances to step up. Particularly when that opinion goes against those of people like De Zerbi and Lallana who've spoken very positively about Hinch. The coaches know him, see him daily in training, presumably assess his progress against expectation, have data on him and have watched him play more football than any of us will ever do, so who would feel in a good position to argue?

Is it the Dunning Kruger effect? If you don't know what you don't know then you don't know that you don't know it and can think that you know what you need to know. I don't know, but I do know that I'm not in the know, so what do I know?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I just don't understand the level of confidence needed for fans to rule out the potential of an Academy player being given his first chances to step up. Particularly when that opinion goes against those of people like De Zerbi and Lallana who've spoken very positively about Hinch. The coaches know him, see him daily in training, presumably assess his progress against expectation, have data on him and have watched him play more football than any of us will ever do, so who would feel in a good position to argue?

Is it the Dunning Kruger effect? If you don't know what you don't know then you don't know that you don't know it and can think that you know what you need to know. I don't know, but I do know that I'm not in the know, so what do I know?
You‘ve been watching Sir Humphrey?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
To be fair to the OP I never rated Caskey yet others thought he was going to be an amazing talent. He’s making a living from football fair play to him for that.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Far to early to make a judgement and first few games are such a learnig curve. However nothing wrong with people on here giving a view on his performance like they would on any 1st team game. Villa game was hard to judge because of result and Forest game tough because was out of position. I have seen him play for U21s several times In midfield and feel he needs to add a little flair to his game and be more creative. Reminds me of Foster-Caskey at the moment who has made a good living out of game but not at top level because so often just played easy balls for half way line.
Very young and every chance with coaching he will make it. However think he could do with a loan to a lower league club to get used to adult game. Do think we would have been better to have Moran as a squad player who was outstanding for U21s

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Same with Buonanotte. Our injury crisis means that players like Buonanotte, Hinshelwood, Duffus and Jackson are getting more game time at an earlier stage than the club would like in a team that's being cobbled together each week on account of injuries.

In all likelihood, they may not be ready yet but judging Hinshelwood based on 65 minutes, out of position, against good wingers and in a back four that has your skipper sent off is bordering on willful idiocy.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Same with Buonanotte. Our injury crisis means that players like Buonanotte, Hinshelwood, Duffus and Jackson are getting more game time at an earlier stage than the club would like in a team that's being cobbled together each week on account of injuries.

In all likelihood, they may not be ready yet but judging Hinshelwood based on 65 minutes, out of position, against good wingers and in a back four that has your skipper sent off is bordering on willful idiocy.
Plus lets not forget it wasn't that long ago people were saying JPVH wasn't good enough & shouldn't play, now he's seen as one of our best CH.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think people judge our academy players against players like Bassouma and Cacedo who came here at a similer age

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think people judge our academy players against players like Bassouma and Cacedo who came here at a similer age

Bissouma was 21 when we signed him and already had played ~50 games in Ligue 1.

Caciedo was 19 when we signed him, at which point he was already a full international for Ecuador, had played ~25 games in the Ecuadorian Serie A and a bunch of games in the Copa Libertadores. He then played 12 games in the Belgian First Division before breaking into our first team.

Nobody should be comparing them to Hinshelwood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here