Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Harper

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't go with all this, 'He hasn't played a proper senior game so he's not going to be good enough for us for ages' stuff. He was highly rated at Real Madrid - that's got to be worth something - and if he's good enough, he's old enough.
He may or may not be the new Messi (probably not - he'd have probably had a run with the Real Madrid first team by now if he was) but Hughton seemed pretty enthusiastic about getting him on board - wasn't there something said about pushing for a first team place around Christmas?
If that's what CH reckons, OK, I'm happy to see how that pans out!

I'm sure he's a talented lad, but the step-up from the amateur noddy leagues in Spain to the Championship will be massive. He's not kicked a ball in a proper match in his life yet. People get dazzled as soon as they see the words "Real Madrid", but the truth is, they are a club who chew up multiple youngsters and spit them out LONG before they get anywhere near pulling on a proper white shirt in anger. Just like Chelsea.

He's a prospect, a cheap punt that may or may not pan out. We've had them before (Bergkamp, Agdestein) and we'll have them again. I really hope that this kids the real deal, but the huge expectation that's being lumped on his young shoulders based on little more than the fact he was on Real Madrids books is a bit OTT in my opinion. Not helped by the club baudily announcing "Albion sign Real Madrid Striker". I mean wow. Give him a season or two to bed in at least, before we start expecting him to lead the line and carve up this league.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I cant wait to see if this lad is going to be any good. Seems

If March's performances continue to be similar to last night then there may be a space on that bench sooner rather than later.

My only question really is where does he fit into a 442 formation? Second striker replacing baldock or will he be able to fill in on the wing?

Was just thinking about Jack Harper, having noticed that he was not included in the squad on the website or the latest program.

Many who undoubtedly know more about promising talent than me seem to rate him very highly. However, as the quoted post illustrates, promise can fail to materialise.

Whilst it is too early to aim this accusation at March, I would agree that I was disappointed last night. He seems to have lost the confidence to go past people and he wasted a couple of good chances. Especially the free shot created by murphy's fantastic run across the box in the second half.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong about March and that Harper is worthy of the hype. What feels fantastic is that we're not relying on either scenario. The team are looking like real contenders regardless.

Felt good to type that last paragraph!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm sure he's a talented lad, but the step-up from the amateur noddy leagues in Spain to the Championship will be massive. He's not kicked a ball in a proper match in his life yet.
Yes, and those two sentences exactly sum up what I'm arguing against. Oh, he's talented I'm sure (a bit condescending, what?) - noddy league - massive move to the championship (the mighty mighty second division, that is) - never kicked a ball in a proper match.........
Alright, NSC has spoken, he's going to be carp. CH is bound to get it wrong sometimes.
Let's just see what he does, shall we?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
If we had signed him from any team other than Real Madrid then his development & recovery from injury would have been insignificant.
Why don't we just let the management team do theirs jobs.When he is ready we will find out.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Alright, NSC has spoken, he's going to be carp. CH is bound to get it wrong sometimes.

So, because a handful of people are saying "let's wait and see before bigging him up", that translates in your mind into "he's going to be carp" and "CH is bound to get it wrong"? :rolleyes:

Now, THAT is exactly what a handful of people ARE saying on this thread. Total agreement at last.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So, because a handful of people are saying "let's wait and see before bigging him up", that translates in your mind into "he's going to be carp" and "CH is bound to get it wrong"? :rolleyes:

Now, THAT is exactly what a handful of people ARE saying on this thread. Total agreement at last.
Lol some people are hard work

waterhouse

Feb 22, 2009
somerset
I don't go with all this, 'He hasn't played a proper senior game so he's not going to be good enough for us for ages' stuff. He was highly rated at Real Madrid - that's got to be worth something - and if he's good enough, he's old enough.
He may or may not be the new Messi (probably not - he'd have probably had a run with the Real Madrid first team by now if he was) but Hughton seemed pretty enthusiastic about getting him on board - wasn't there something said about pushing for a first team place around Christmas?
If that's what CH reckons, OK, I'm happy to see how that pans out!

This

waterhouse

Feb 22, 2009
somerset
What people seem to be forgetting is that he is already being considered for Scotland under 21's when he's fit and he's only 18! If he was any more highly rated then we would of had no chance of getting him and a prem team would of snapped him up.

Yes, and those two sentences exactly sum up what I'm arguing against. Oh, he's talented I'm sure (a bit condescending, what?) - noddy league - massive move to the championship (the mighty mighty second division, that is) - never kicked a ball in a proper match.........

Please watch your spelling or you will set off another round of monotonous fish puns.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If he's watching our matches thinking 'I'll have to up my game by a lot to get anywhere near the first team', he'd be about right

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What people seem to be forgetting is that he is already being considered for Scotland under 21's when he's fit and he's only 18! If he was any more highly rated then we would of had no chance of getting him and a prem team would of snapped him up.

If he was being considered for their first team squad I'd see your point, but I don't think you can read a lot into an 18 year old playing for the under 21's particularly Scotland.

At the equivalent stages of their careers Norman Whiteside was a full international with World Cup experience as was Michael Owen.

This signing could well prove to be inspired business but he's had no first team experience. if we had signed him from Chelsea a'la Ince & Bridcutt there would have been very little mentioned. The Real Madrid link has got everyone excited but the major European clubs stock pile talent from across the globe, so it's not a forgone conclusion he will be a success.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Actually he's 19 and a half.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Sorry, where exactly did I say he's going to be crap ?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Is anyone else chomping at the bit to see Jack Harper pull on the blue and white stripes for the first time?
I know he won't be fit till sometime in October, but I first read up on this guy way before we signed him and saw how highly rated he is. This season is gonna be amazing! :bhasign:
Very excited to see this kid in action.
You don't spend years at Real Madrid if you can't play.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He is one of a group of young development players, all of similar talent and non can demand a first team squad place at present, so each player have a similar precarious journey up the professional ladder, who knows who will come through.

There will be the usual 'engineering' with squirting one or two into the dressing room for experience and just to show Bloom that the academy coaches and their staff are worthy of employment and the significant outlay is paying dividends.

There will be a player or two, maybe even Harper who will hit a bit of form at the right time, in front of the right people at a time when our first team squad might be decimated with injury's especially in his position with the loanee market dried up and maybe even an administrative error that allows an otherwise unknown youngster be catapulted into the first team and then who knows, he might even play well.

Club's will try and tell you its far more measured than that, players, ex players and unemployed coaches will tell you differently.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Strange, that he's only on a 1 year contract. If he turns out to be great in the last 6 months of that contract, he will be snapped up by the Premier league vultures for next to nothing:shrug:

Unless I'm missing something from his contract.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Strange, that he's only on a 1 year contract. If he turns out to be great in the last 6 months of that contract, he will be snapped up by the Premier league vultures for next to nothing:shrug:

Unless I'm missing something from his contract.
I thought he is on a 2 year contract ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here