Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've just got rid of ALL my CDs

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
The older I am getting my taste in music is getting broader, at the moment loving the old skiffle bands and the street bands of america such as 13 strings and a 2 dollar bill. Weird tastes I know, but I am always watching these bands on you tube.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Be wary of expecting old VHS tapes to play the same way today as the did 10/15/20/25 years ago - magnetic tape degrades over time, esp dependent on where / how they are stored.
If they are truly valuable to you - kids growing up, parents now dead, etc. get them digitised ASAP - lots of places will do this for you at quite reasonable prices.
I had some old cine film from the 60's and 70's converted to digital - great investment as you can then take back-up copies, cut and edit and share with others, all very easily.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Put all of my music onto iPod a few years back after selling all my CDs to music magpie too.
Just take my iPod to work, in the car etc
Its not the same as using CD or putting a record on.
But hayho I am older now, so it not that important to me:)

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Still have plenty of CDs but these will gradually be dispensed with. All downloads and vinyl these days. And most of my vinyl buys are second hand: eBay, charity shops, boot sales, record shops. Though I feel a significant cull coming on this year ...:rock:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Just ripped my vinyl and sold it (heretic) but I now listen to the music in the car and on I pod that I haven't heard in years. I buy rip and sell CDs, generally old rock / blues cannot abide most radio stuff and am firmly and happily in a rut.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A few years ago we got rid of all CD and DVD cases and keep the discs alone in big binders.

Interesting. I've, kind of, gone the other way as I buy vinyl because (amongst a few things) I like the packaging.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Got walls and walls of CDs and Vinyl, never listen to anything other than digitally now apart from 1 annual a Jungle DJ called Uncle Dugs brings out on CD once a year and that stays in the car but most of the time I am using SD/USB in there so the CD is played when the weather and the journey is perfect and I am on my own.

I have really changed my listening recently and have moved away from music most of the time on to podcasts. I listen to Joe Rogan who brings out 2/3/4 a week and each is generally 3 hours so that fills most of my time on the A27 and then some chilled evenings in bed.

For films etc its all about streaming now, got Amazon Prime, Netflix and a Plex account and for music Spotify and Google Music (I find Google music very good for new breakbeat artists albums)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am also CD and DVD free. Good. I was forever dragging those things around when I rented. I sometimes whack on Spotify on my phone but I'm mainly a radio 4 or radio 6 man. I like just popping the radio on and letting it decide, saves all the faffing. Films and series come from Netflix, Prime and various other sources. I'll occasionally buy a dvd off the chinaman who wonders around the pubs but very rarely.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Most of my music is either on CD or record and pretty proud of my collection. (Even though all my vinyl was stolen in a burglary in the 90s I have managed to rebuild it very gradually)
Sorry for repeating a post I made on the album thread but my aim is to purchase all my music on vinyl this year and give CD a bit of a break. I usually buy 4 or 5 new albums a month and a further 5 second hand. I try to get to the vinyl fair at the Brighton Centre each month and will be there this time next week. It's great for picking up cheap stuff and I usually splash out on what I call a special purchase of something rare.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The older I am getting my taste in music is getting broader, at the moment loving the old skiffle bands and the street bands of america such as 13 strings and a 2 dollar bill. Weird tastes I know, but I am always watching these bands on you tube.

They're brilliant. Thanks for the tip!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I sold most of my vinyl a couple of years back; it had been sat in boxes since the early 90's so I figured I could do without.
Buying music, I tend to buy 4/5 CDs a month (although sometimes a trawl round the charity shops can net a few goodies), and rip them straight to the computer.
I don't think I could get rid of my CDs though, I like to have something tangible.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Converted from Vinyl to CD in 1989 gave about a third of my albums away at the time which I would regret when I purchased a record player in 2003. Tried out itunes around 2004 but never liked the unwieldy database it was kept on whilst the return to vinyl spluttered out around 2005. My listening habits changed around 2011 when I went over to streaming; first Spotify then Soundcloud, Bandcamp and Mixcloud. Returned to vinyl again and this time stayed as production improved immensely and also came with downloads which enabled me to start using itunes again. CDs are only purchased if there is something I want which hasn't come out in vinyl or I've always purchased music by that group in a particular way (Belle & Sebastian LP last year as I have all their others on CD).

I still have a 12 year old CD recorder where I record mixes for my car from a number of different sources, these often form the basis of Mixcloud uploads which I'll listen to at work (many schools don't have Spotify).

Lush

Mods' Pet
Seems to me that there are three groups here.

1) People who still listen - really listen - to their music and like to own it
2) People who don't listen to their music but still like to own it
3) People who don't have their own music and just tap into whatever they fancy or let the radio decide

Interesting thread to start Ms L.

Got rid of my CD's, save a small handful of ones of sentimental value, a few years. My very first CD, a classic rock compilation from 97GTR FM (A Miami "rawk" FM station) was purchased on a Florida holiday in 1987, before I actually had a CD player, and is front of me as I type this.

All were "ripped " to iTunes before disposal via Music Magpie which seemed the easiest way of doing so with minimum of effort and I now listen exculsively via PC and speakers, via Bluetooth headphones in bed (from tablet), or via Bluetooth speaker (from phone) when cooking tea for the hungry Young Pottings. Have never been a "sound snob", the tune is the thing not how hi tech the kit you listen on. I echo the sentiments of the Berry Gordy (I think) who claimed that Motown discs were cut to sound great on a cheap AM car radio in an area of poor reception, probably whilst engaged in "other activities" in the back seat!

Spotify in my view is the greatest thing since sliced bread, for the cost of around a CD a month I can listen to pretty much whatever I want and must average 5 hours listening a day as I WFH mostly. This also means that I can get to listen to artists that I would probably never have considered or even heard of. It is great that you half hear something on the radio which takes your fancy, you can then usually look up and explore - recent expamples of this are Rag'n' Bone Man (A Brighton boy I believe - is he on NSC???) and Natalie Williams. Also enables you to listen on a "no cost no risk" basis to stuff you see reviewed which you either find interesting and worthy of further investigation or unlistenable and overated (Bejamin Clementine).

And I have "pop up" to remind that coffee time coincides with Ken Bruce's popmaster at around 10:30!

Just popped up on Spotify random - one of the great white soul singers, Dusty Springfield,singing one of the great white soul songs "To Love Somebody" written by the Bee Gees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here