Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've just got a record player for my birthday.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Couple of things wrong here. Was the stylus solid gold?

Nothing is wrong here. Seeing as you doubt it. Yes it was Gold. It was an Empire, which if you care to check, the Stylus was very expensive in the late 80's. It was brought and fitted at Phase Three Hi Fi in Worthing. The owners there play in the band Big Red Taxi, they offered me a lot of money for the deck as it was very rare.
Anyway, as you do not seem to believe my post, here are a couple of examples. I still have the stylus case should you wish to take a look, and the deck for that matter, it is similar to the two in the links shown below
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPIRE-2000...AgE-turntable-phonograph-needle-/151111709677
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Empire-2000-E-III-Cartridge-whit-Stylus-2000E-III-NEW-/130935970673

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I've just got a record player for my Birthday

Was it Gareth Bale?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Last edited:

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Bought a copy of quadrophenia at a record fair yesterday. £8 well spent.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
got a re-release version of that classic, book and all, for christmas from my kids - they understand daddy's obsession with rotaing grooved plastic.....

My kids just stare at mine with there mouths open. They don't get it at all, i have also purchased a copy of Def Leppards best album 'Pyromania' it is heavily warped and so trying the old 2 sheets of glass and an oven trick. That gets even starnger looks from those that dont understand.

Aug 21, 2011
I still have my Denon record player in the loft. Brought in 1983, it was my pride and joy and in 1989 i paid £130 for a new stylus. Unfortunately my ex sabotaged it when we split, so it remains as a keepsake.
It is strange but some of the music that i liked was badly produced on vinyl, mainly Soul and Motown and the Arista label was crap, which ruled out Aretha and the like.
Bowie was always well produced, as was Elton (although not a big fan of Elton) and i think that Frankie Goes To Hollywood really shows up a good deck and amp.
I have a box set of Motown Greatest Hits, only been played twice, but the quality is not top notch.
My ex also fried my Audiolab Amp, luckily my cousin worked for Arcam (now Mission) and he got me a decent amp at cost price.
Mission speakers in the bedroom, Arcam CD player and Amp, with a Denon Tuner.
A decent record player with decent back up, and vinyl is brilliant.
Even Aspinall sounds ok on my tuner on BHA away games.. :facepalm:

Take it to Monkey Musc Emporium, in Baker Street. Mark fixes up turntables all the time and does not charge a fortune for it. He has had mine in a couple of times over the last year.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
After playing bits of the standard stuff, Beatles, Stones, Led Zep I'm listening this morning to the wonderful Jazz by Ry Cooder.

I don't recall it being acclaimed when it came out in '78, but it's got such a wonderful Sunday morning lazy feel to it.

Anyone else heard it and what would you play if you had a record player and could dig out your old vinyl (whether you kept them or not)?

Having been a Ry Cooder fan for years, I bought Jazz on the strength of this and one or two of the other comments on here. Great Stuff. Thank you for mentioning it.

And having just read the sleeve notes, it's all the more interesting. I didn't realise that Mr Cooder was in to "different" things back then. Apart from being a great guitarist, he is just so genuinely interesting.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Going to our Price during lunch when I was at Crawley college in the 80s is a very fond memory.
Still got all my vinyl in the loft but have nothing to play it on.might have to get on EBay!

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
There is a pub in Lewes called The Swan & they have Vinyl Thursdays.
8pm-Midnight. Take along some records, stick 'em on, share the love.
I'm planning on going next week :rock:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have a wind up gramophone that only plays 78s, the needles are more like little nails. My favourite of quite few 78s it came with is Love and Marriage sung by a very young Frank Sinatra. the sound is remarkably good too surprisingly but the needle need replacing every few records.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just as a footnote, as a result of this thread a couple of weeks ago I purchased Jazz by Ry Cooder, the subject of the original post. I have to say I love it.

Have always had an enormous respect for Ry Cooder and really rate his music. This just adds to it.

Edit - PS - I forgot I had already posted something similar above...... Sorry.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
.....anyone else remember the listening posts at the first virgin shop on the site of Boot clocktower.:rave:
Ry is okay.....JJ beat his arse, though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
.....anyone else remember the listening posts at the first virgin shop on the site of Boot clocktower.:rave:
Ry is okay.....JJ beat his arse, though.

I really like both. I have lent my JJ Cale greatest hits CD to any number of people since his recent demise.

And talking of listening posts, I still remember the old listening booths in a record shop in Worthing - can't remember what it was called, but round by the baxk entrance of Bentalls and opposite whatever Cinema it used to be there - by Montague Terrace just off Montague Street. One abiding memory of the place was it being decked out in advertising material for "In the Land of Grey and Pink" by Caravan, something I still happily listen to today, albeit on CD.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I have 30 or so LPs and 30 more singles - all original vinyl. Are they worth much?

I also have a stack with speakers and turntable sitting in my garage unused for 3-4 years - where is best to flog this? eBay?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here