Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've been told that I'm spending the weekend in Rye....

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not been to Rye for years nice place to visit.
Rather than go to Camber I prefer Dungeness (strangely) if its still open the fish and chips in the pub was always something else ( and a pint or 2)
I like the remoteness of the place and a trip on the RH&D Railway is pleasant enough.
A friend of mine lives in one of those railway carriages on the beach.
Is that pub on the point still open and serving huge, fresh off the boat fish?

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
Agree with the Mermaid Inn comments. Not a massive eating area in the bar, but the place is full of history, and haunted allegedly. Plus Johnny Depp has stayed there, which might impress your wife!
My wife booked a weekend at the Mermaid Inn for my birthday some years ago. No Johnny Depp, but the Cheeky Girls were staying for some reason. I wanted to see if they had their hot pants on, but the wife wouldn't let me😢
The room we stayed in was complete with its own secret passage to the celler (no access unfortunately...).

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Visited Rye last year and visited Camber Sands, it has a beautiful beach best appreciated on a pleasant day.
Gives the Dunes Bar a try, lovely seafood at a reasonable price.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Well worth a short drive to Dungeness. It's an eerie place, but strangely beautiful on a sunny day.

Good shout. Love that place. You can go up the lighthouse to see the continung decommissioning of the power station, visit Jarman's gaff, catch a steam train and the RSPB is there too.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Once again, NSC comes up trumps. Gotta love it. Thank you all very much.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
The seven seas?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
When they say it is open. It just means there is someone there to talk to you about the place. We went a few years ago and a lovely old couple gave us a potted history.

Yeah but if they are not there you cannot get inside (what is left of) the castle...well that was the case last time I was there.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Keep it up guys. Taking Mrs Earle there for a day in Mapp and Lucia country after a night in Bexhill(!) following the Mary Chapin Carpenter gig at the de La Warr. Then back to Bexhill for another night, but I won't ask about things to do in Bexhill. P.S. Thanks again whoever tipped me off on NSC about the gig.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Mapp and Lucia tour will take 5 minutes. The idiots on bikes with scant regard for anyone will piss you off. Camber sands will be horrible in the rain. The mermaid is normally full of fat badly dressed yanks.

Apart from that you'll have a good time and might even meet me. I'm the one with a face like a slapped kipper.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Stayed in The George earlier this year, nice Hotel, with excellent restaurant and bar

Stayed at The George too...you can get a lovely lunch here with a courtyard out the back making a nice and quiet setting.
You also get the best breakfast here...

Keep it up guys. Taking Mrs Earle there for a day in Mapp and Lucia country after a night in Bexhill(!) following the Mary Chapin Carpenter gig at the de La Warr. Then back to Bexhill for another night, but I won't ask about things to do in Bexhill. P.S. Thanks again whoever tipped me off on NSC about the gig.

...Didn't know she was playing there but do now - may be tempted to go. Proper Rocl'n'Roll lifestyle you lead there Mr.SSE!

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
The Queens Head at nearyby Icklesham (suggest bus) is hopefully still a damn fine pub with a splendid ale selection, nice views and nice food.

Fully agree with that, although a train to Winchelsea then around an hours walk to the Queens head can be really nice, always good good and such nice views on a sunny day. Webbes is also very nice in the town for another meal so a good choice there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here