Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ivan toney going to be in trouble - BANNED for 8 months to 17th Jan 2024

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
12 month ban and a slap on the wrist - thats all.
A 12 month ban is more than a slap on the wrist though, but I can't see it being that long seeing as Barton's ban was reduced to 13 months on appeal. It's likely to be 6-9 months although as there is an approx 2.5 month close season coming up that takes a chunk of any ban away so we can hope the FA do the right thing and make an example of him. With the proposed ban on betting advertisements/sponsorship in football it wouldn't be a bad thing to make an example of him

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I thought it was a joke about any ban could be used up out of season, but no, apparently it's true.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
A 12 month ban is more than a slap on the wrist though, but I can't see it being that long seeing as Barton's ban was reduced to 13 months on appeal. It's likely to be 6-9 months although as there is an approx 2.5 month close season coming up that takes a chunk of any ban away so we can hope the FA do the right thing and make an example of him. With the proposed ban on betting advertisements/sponsorship in football it wouldn't be a bad thing to make an example of him
I think consistency will need to be applied here otherwise the mantra that more is at play here will be banded around by the extremes.

Barton getting a longer ban for being French being the obvious example

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
and now he gets to play the victim card due to leaks and speculation around the hearing.
Yep - deflection tactics in the hope of some sort of reprieve. They can’t afford to keep using precedents for punishment, unless they go back to the Peter Swan case in the 60s. The FA have got to take a stand on this and make sure players don’t do this ever again.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Meanwhile Brentford fans have all be afflicted with a touch of the Violet Krays - "Reggie and Ronnie are lovely boys and they wouldn't harm a fly"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is anyone having the conversation about betting sponsors? Just the irony of having Hollywood Bets plastered on him with headlines saying he's guilty of breaking betting rules seems to be lost.
According to someone on the radio this morning that makes Toney a victim, and ‘quite probably’ has caused him mental health issues.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Is anyone having the conversation about betting sponsors? Just the irony of having Hollywood Bets plastered on him with headlines saying he's guilty of breaking betting rules seems to be lost.
Premier League are seeking the backing of clubs to ban sponsorship by betting companies. However the vote keeps being delayed.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd be interested to see what he's done. I hate Joey Barton but his ban was incredibly harsh. He was betting 10's and 20 quid on events he wasn't involved with. It was clearly about the mental side of betting and backing his opinions rather than fixing which would be a completely different story. I appreciate he's broken the rules but if he's just pissing his money away (as opposed to fixing which is a completely different story) a years ban or whatever is OTT in my opinion.

It's also a bit rich given the amount of gambling adverts in the PL to go all moral on the subject.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here