Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ivan toney going to be in trouble - BANNED for 8 months to 17th Jan 2024

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Very good news for our chances of Europe this season? (via 7th).

"Brentford striker Ivan Toney has accepted breaking Football Association betting rules ahead of his appearance before a disciplinary panel.

It means the 26-year-old is potentially facing a lengthy ban"

They have him bang to rights on some I’m guessing, and naturally is contesting the most serious ones. It all depends whether they want to make an example out of him.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
They have him bang to rights on some I’m guessing, and naturally is contesting the most serious ones. It all depends whether they want to make an example out of him.
Trippier (10 weeks, 2020) and Barton (13 months, 2017) recent examples, so not sure they really need to make an example? Perhaps a summer move abroad upcoming though :lol:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Trippier (10 weeks, 2020) and Barton (13 months, 2017) recent examples, so not sure they really need to make an example? Perhaps a summer move abroad upcoming though :lol:
Does anyone know if such bans are recognised by UEFA, I.e can he actually go abroad and continue playing when banned?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Does anyone know if such bans are recognised by UEFA, I.e can he actually go abroad and continue playing when banned?
I think Trippier was unable to play for Atletico when he was banned, so I'm guessing it is international (Europe anyway)

Jimmy Grimble

Why is it taking so long?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Gambling bans are worldwide, FIFA originally suspended Trippiers ban while he appealed but once the appeal was rejected by CAS the ban came into effect. In Trippier’s case the ban was actually issued by the FA a few months after he’d joined Atletico.

Isn't that where Joey got his Allo Allo accent from?

Could be right, I try to spend as little of my life thinking about Joey “René” Barton as possible…
Barton was banned by the FA for 12 games for violent conduct in 2012. The ban was upheld by Ligue de Football Professionnel when he joined Marseille and for the first 3 months of the season he could only play in Europa League games.

Barton’s ban for gambling was issued in April 2017, it was 18 months (later reduced to 13 on appeal) but effectively ended his playing career as he was released from Burnley at the end of the 16-17 season.

In April 2018 it was announced that Barton would become Fleetwood manager when his ban ended in June.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Gambling bans are worldwide, FIFA originally suspended Trippiers ban while he appealed but once the appeal was rejected by CAS the ban came into effect. In Trippier’s case it was actually issued by the FA a few months after he’d joined Atletico.

Barton was banned by the FA for 12 games for violent conduct in 2012. The ban was upheld by Ligue de Football Professionnel when he joined Marseille and for the first 3 months of the season he could only play in Europa League games.

Barton’s ban for gambling was issued in April 2017, it was 18 months (later reduced to 13 on appeal) but effectively ended his playing career as he was released from Burnley at the end of the 16-17 season.

In April 2018 it was announced that Barton would become Fleetwood manager when his ban ended in June.
Thank you

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's an absolute farce he's been able to play this long with this number of charges.
This. If he gets less than a 6 month ban he’s very lucky. Must be some kind of complete moron to be betting on football over such a long period when the FA and clubs are so diligent on making sure all staff are aware of the rules.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If Toney’s case is dealt with swiftly he could miss the chance of a return to the England squad when Gareth Southgate’s team play Italy and Ukraine in March. A quick outcome could also suit Brentford in the long run given much of any ban would probably stretch over the summer, minimising his potential absence next season.

Surely this cannot happen.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This. If he gets less than a 6 month ban he’s very lucky. Must be some kind of complete moron to be betting on football over such a long period when the FA and clubs are so diligent on making sure all staff are aware of the rules.
It's not exactly hard to get around it either if he really wanted to is it?

I assume partners can bet?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Ok so when is this disciplinary hearing actually happening? (asking as he's in my FPL team).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here