Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ivan toney going to be in trouble - BANNED for 8 months to 17th Jan 2024

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You could be right (and indeed arrogance could well be a factor), but if he still felt the need to bet despite the wide publicity across the game that you must not gamble on football, that suggests he may well have a problem. We know how many football bets he has had but not how many bets on sports that don't carry an embargo.

Hopefully the investigation will reveal if any of the bets were on games where he could influence the result of his bet (eg if he bet on himself or one of his team to get a red card when he got a red card). If he did, he should never be allowed to play again. If his bets were on Scottish first division correct score accumulators, his penalty should be minimal.

I would suggest that there is far wider publicity of gambling firms within football, than there is that Footballers shouldn't bet.
With the number of bets placed and the period covered, it looks like he may have been having a solitary bet a week in the most part.
This is neither problem gambling or indicative of any corruption. IMO

If it turns out that his friends and family all backed him to get sent off, every time he did, then yeah, he's in a lot of trouble.
However, I think it's more likely that he just isn't that bright and assumes that betting on himself to score is ok.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Which it absolutely isn’t. Let’s say Brentford have an attack, Toney is through on goal wide right, Wissa is completely unmarked in the middle with an open goal.

Toney shoots, having backed himself to score, when he should’ve passed. The public scratch their heads thinking “why didn’t he pass”?

It makes you wonder how many “what the hell was that?” mistakes in football are match fixing/spot betting. I suspect a lot more than people would care to admit.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The players all know. I am good friends with an assistant manager for national league north side and go with the team ti Cheltenham every year. All their players know they are not allowed to bet on football. In fact one of them had a panic when he opened a betting account for a day at the races and another player immediately said he was going to be sacked because not allowed to gamble on anything. It was very funny seeing a grown man in a panic like that. Until he realised it was a wind up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would make absolute sense that a bookmaker alerted the FA, Bookmakers ban people all the time when they win excessively and think they have an unfair, corruption or insider information.

Fool if he set it up an account in his own name and placed bets on games he was involved in, surprising this was not brought to the attention of the FA sooner actually.

IF guilty deserves minimum the rest of the season out.
Bookies get electronic files of all people with contracts with professional football clubs and regularly screen them against their client lists (not just looking for name matches, but also addresses to pick up people using another name for example). When potentially matching data is identified it is investigated.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would suggest that there is far wider publicity of gambling firms within football, than there is that Footballers shouldn't bet.
With the number of bets placed and the period covered, it looks like he may have been having a solitary bet a week in the most part.

If it turns out that his friends and family all backed him to get sent off, every time he did, then yeah, he's in a lot of trouble.
However, I think it's more likely that he just isn't that bright and assumes that betting on himself to score is ok.
Not within the game. Junior has had it absolutely drilled into him along with all other employees (he’s not a player), it’s in their contracts, there are posters up etc etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Almost laughable that the betting companies do this when it suits them, when I was in Rehab I palled up with a gent who had lost £900,000 to gambling in a 12 month period, and with it his business, his home and his family. When things were going well the betting company, a household name, used to take him to all the major race meetings, sometimes by helicopter, effectively feeding his addiction.
Imagine Smirnoff putting PR girls outside AA meetings handing out miniatures?
The gambling industry causes as much grief and heartache as both drugs and drink.

Thankfully 28 months on my friend, is building bridges with his wife and family, hasn’t had a bet and is part of the local Gamblers Anonymous community.
Don’t disagree but this is down to the FA’s presuasion rather than the betting company’s moral standards…….

My pal who worked for one of the major sports betting companies left at the end of his contract as he couldn’t stand the way they prey on people.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He is not currently suspended or anything as I understand it, he might make it through the season without punishment

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

He's always invoking god in conversation so, yes, I agree.

Curiously Dan Sturridge is also a fevered god-botherer and....on 18 July 2019, Sturridge was banned from football for six weeks, four of which were suspended, for breaching betting rules after instructing his brother to bet on a possible move to Sevilla

Praise the lord.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Very good news for our chances of Europe this season? (via 7th).

"Brentford striker Ivan Toney has accepted breaking Football Association betting rules ahead of his appearance before a disciplinary panel.

It means the 26-year-old is potentially facing a lengthy ban"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here