Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ITV4 Brighton V Palace 9.50 Today

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Those were the days. Or were they? I didn't see a single black face at the Golstone, either on the pitch, on the bench or in the crowd in that transmission. You had Venables interviewed later sneering at players who can't 'take it' (meaning abuse and intimidation from other players). In a later game we saw disgusting tackling (from Southampton on Fulham players) that should have resulted in red cards, yet Bobby Moore was penalised for a foul that never was and Southampton took the kick quickly and scored, then George Best was sent off for Fulam for dissent. You could see from Alec Stock's interview later that there was an elephant in the room - the referee was a cheat. Meanwhile the lazy Brian Moore just whipped up a fake angle about Best's sending off. Oh, we did eventually see a black player, subbed on for Fulham, and you can hear someone monkey chanting a few seconds later. No comment about that, of course. Generally the standard of football was poor, with the final game (Leeds versus ManUre) redolent with unfit players standing and watching, lunging tackles, crappy passing....and we actually thought England was the greatest footballing nation in the world, and were outraged when we couldn't qualify for the world cups?

Very disappointed by that. I used to love Big Match replayed, but it seems very dated and shitty now. As Danny Baker often said, never shine daylight on magic. It was magical then, but now....:shrug:

As always, I agree with your recollections about the 'good old days' in sport and general UK life. It wasn't.

On a very recent (C4 I think it was) documentary they interviewed blacks who'd attended games in the 70's and 80's. Not hooligans, typically just a lad and his dad. They used to leave games at half time covered in gob from n*gger haters.

We have actually truly progressed.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Just regarding the football in the main video, how did Southampton manage to get MacDougall, Osgood and Channon into the same team? Awesome!

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
try this game H

an Everton team with 6 players under the age of 22 putting Best,Charlton & Law to the sword

opening game of the season,don't know who was the current Everton manager was then,but very brave

65,000 packed into Goodison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be2wP2JCdQg

The Everton manager would have been Harry Catterick and the club known as the 'School of Science' in those days. The year before Catterick had been assaulted by some of his own fans when he had dropped their idol, the 'Golden Vision' (Alec Young) for some unknown kid called Joe Royle.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
The Everton manager would have been Harry Catterick and the club known as the 'School of Science' in those days. The year before Catterick had been assaulted by some of his own fans when he had dropped their idol, the 'Golden Vision' (Alec Young) for some unknown kid called Joe Royle.

Thanks very much for that info,just before my time.what a great manager he was,winning the 2nd division with Wednesday,then finishing 2nd to the Spurs double winning side.then going on to win 2 league titles with Everton.sadly he died at Goodison after a match,what an Everton legend he must be

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just watched it on ITV Hub.

A month before my first attendance at The Goldstone.

Peter Ward was magic. Could have been “mercurial” but not such a good chant for the North Stand.

Palace fans were underneath the TV gantry scaffolding and the only crowd noise microphone.

The pitch was still excellent in October.

Some of the Albion’s play was entertaining and with good skill levels. 11 HGPs and I’d very happily watch that type of football again.

Venables and Mullery clearly didn’t like each other. Venables had to be a bit of a tit with his comments on the match.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Venables and Mullery clearly didn’t like each other. Venables had to be a bit of a tit with his comments on the match.

Funny, I watched it thought the oposite, thinking that there didn't seem to be a lot of bad blood there.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
As always, I agree with your recollections about the 'good old days' in sport and general UK life. It wasn't.

On a very recent (C4 I think it was) documentary they interviewed blacks who'd attended games in the 70's and 80's. Not hooligans, typically just a lad and his dad. They used to leave games at half time covered in gob from n*gger haters.

We have actually truly progressed.

Too true, despicable. I also remember walking out of German disco in the 80’s with some locals spit on me, they noticed I was foreign

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I loved it, was at the match with my Father in Law stood at the top of the North East terrace. What I liked was that it confirmed that my (often confused) memory wasn't wrong, we were bloody good. Wardy nearly scoring after less than a minute and the free flowing football we played was a joy to watch and not a bad foul from either team. Considering the other teams on the program (Man U, Leeds, Fulham and Southampton) I thought we looked as good if not better than them, and we were 3rd Division.
:albion2::albion2:

Jan 30, 2008
Those were the days. Or were they? I didn't see a single black face at the Golstone, either on the pitch, on the bench or in the crowd in that transmission. You had Venables interviewed later sneering at players who can't 'take it' (meaning abuse and intimidation from other players). In a later game we saw disgusting tackling (from Southampton on Fulham players) that should have resulted in red cards, yet Bobby Moore was penalised for a foul that never was and Southampton took the kick quickly and scored, then George Best was sent off for Fulam for dissent. You could see from Alec Stock's interview later that there was an elephant in the room - the referee was a cheat. Meanwhile the lazy Brian Moore just whipped up a fake angle about Best's sending off. Oh, we did eventually see a black player, subbed on for Fulham, and you can hear someone monkey chanting a few seconds later. No comment about that, of course. Generally the standard of football was poor, with the final game (Leeds versus ManUre) redolent with unfit players standing and watching, lunging tackles, crappy passing....and we actually thought England was the greatest footballing nation in the world, and were outraged when we couldn't qualify for the world cups?

Very disappointed by that. I used to love Big Match replayed, but it seems very dated and shitty now. As Danny Baker often said, never shine daylight on magic. It was magical then, but now....:shrug:

You wont see many black faces at the Amex either H :rolleyes:
Regards
DF

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

A month before my first attendance at The Goldstone.

Peter Ward was magic. Could have been “mercurial” but not such a good chant for the North Stand.

Palace fans were underneath the TV gantry scaffolding and the only crowd noise microphone.

The pitch was still excellent in October.

Some of the Albion’s play was entertaining and with good skill levels. 11 HGPs and I’d very happily watch that type of football again.

You remind me of another TV appearance some years later where the two managers are snarling at each other. In the one the other day I thought that Mullers clearly didn't like Venables, but Venables seemed friendly enough. Did they have a history? Edit: just looked them up and Venables was Spurs team mate off Mullers from 66-69. Venables did not have an illustrious career at Spurs and maybe Mullers thought he was a bit of a self-regarding nob?

I was just to the right of the Palace fans (I seem to recall them up on the East terrace on more than one ccasion in the 70s, no segregation, no trouble).

You remind me of another TV appearance some years later where the two managers are snarling at each other. In the one the other day I thought that Mullers clearly didn't like Venables, but Venables seemed friendly enough. Did they have a history? Edit: just looked them up and Venables was Spurs team mate off Mullers from 66-69. Venables did not have an illustrious career at Spurs and maybe Mullers thought he was a bit of a self-regarding nob?

I was just to the right of the Palace fans (I seem to recall them up on the East terrace on more than one ccasion in the 70s, no segregation, no trouble).

Supposedly they fell out 1n 1968 when the then Manager Bill Nicholson had to decide between them who should take over the captaincy from Dave Mackay. Mullery got the job. Venables was arguably the more skilled footballer but Mullery was probably the right choice for captain. Although I doubt Venables agreed.

But I still think they looked friendly enough at the Palace game a few years later.

Just to add to Mullery's backstory, Mike Bamber explained why he decided why he would be the right manager for us when Peter Taylor left to rejoin Brian Clough. Evidently Mullery thumped one of his own players who wasn't doing his job in the middle of a game Bamber was watching and decided there and then to offer him the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here