Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV - Roy Keane good / Southgate crap

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I agree that Ferdinand and other United players are lucky not to have been booked for their conduct after the final whistle.

See, even before the incident I was saying how sensibly the ref was controlling the match. He was talking to the players, understanding the situation, and very quick to deal with any issues/fouls.

I/m happy to see Uefa come out and defend him to an extent thus far and hopefully he won't be demoted or anything. What drove me made was Alan Green on Five Live just contantly refering to him as "The Turkish referee". Why keep mentioning his nationality or not even his name? Maybe I read too much into these things but I felt it was instantly alienating him. An English ref has a name and you would say it. Why not "The turkish one"?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
See, even before the incident I was saying how sensibly the ref was controlling the match. He was talking to the players, understanding the situation, and very quick to deal with any issues/fouls.

I/m happy to see Uefa come out and defend him to an extent thus far and hopefully he won't be demoted or anything. What drove me made was Alan Green on Five Live just contantly refering to him as "The Turkish referee". Why keep mentioning his nationality or not even his name? Maybe I read too much into these things but I felt it was instantly alienating him. An English ref has a name and you would say it. Why not "The turkish one"?

Best bet is to try to ignore The Irish Commentator, I used to think he was good but now he bores me with his criticisms on refs/players mistakes etc, he is there to commentate on what happens and keep moving. He also seems to have a love/hate thing with Fergie which he keeps trawling up to such an extent that he is fast becoming the Fergie of the Airwaves.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
To kick a player in the high chest when he is standing up, is surely violent conduct. The ref can issue a red card - that is the rule. If it was the other way, people would be saying different.

Keane was right and had the guts to say so

I agree that Ferdinand and other United players are lucky not to have been booked for their conduct after the final whistle.

I have discussed this incident with a load of other football fans and the conclusion was if you hate Man U you have this opinion, if you don't you think its not a red.

So why do you hate Man U so much. What Premiership team do you support before Brighton?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Agreed.
So often you get an incident like this where its simply never going to be a black and white case as to whether the ref made the right call or not. It boils down to opinion and interpretation. The ref could've spent 2-3 minutes looking at a replay of that incident last night before deciding what to do, and there would STILL be people vehemently disagreeing with whatever decision he eventually arrived at.

You've got to accept that the ref gets ONE look at it, and has to make an honest call off the back of that. He has linesmen to consult if he wants another opinion on it, but ultimately he's got to go with his interpretation. I'm simply not having this "bring technology in for the big decisions" argument, it would just make things many times worse.
Agreed. It was probably slightly harsh but I've seen harsher. Agree also about replays (although there may be a case for goal-line technology - but I'm not going to make it for the sake of half-a-dozen or so incidents a season). You can see it on penalties when they analyse it time and time again from myriad different camera angles. It still ends up with the defenders back in the studio saying it wasn't a pen and the attackers saying it was. Just let the ref make a decision and stick with it.

Anyway, Man U wouldn't have stopped those two Madrid goals if they'd had twelve players on the pitch. Great skill.

EDIT: Just to say I watched the game and I was supporting Man U in case anyone thinks that last statement is anti-Man U prejudice.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The offence is serious foul play and deemed "excessive force" when trying to control a ball. "excessive" is often interpreted as dangerous, regardless of intent. At the time I was surprised but it's a pretty understandable call, if you raise your leg you have to make sure someone isn't going to be on the end of it.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
People need to forget and drop the word, intent. This word does not come into the rules of football.

Nani had his studs showing 4 foot off the floor towards another player. That is dangerous. Harsh or not the ref upheld the laws of the game.

TWO TRIBES

Jul 15, 2012
HERSTMONCEUX
Nani does have his eyes on the ball as he goes in but as he makes contact with the player he leaves his foot in and then extends his leg towards the player rather than contracting it , that's what the ref sees and that's why he sends him off.
It all looks so clear cut to me and I cant understand why the media seem so blind to it.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
I dont know why they bother asking Keane to be a pundit. He's has to go down as one of the all-time thugs of football.
It doesn't matter how influential he was as a player, he was an animal and should have been banned for life for his tackle on Alfie Inge Haalland.

He just likes to be in the spotlight and as a totally failed manager is worried he will be forgotten, so he gets on TV and spouts crap to draw attention.
Thick as a brick, he should be confined to history and never appear on TV again.

Oct 25, 2003
Southgate: "I still don't think he intended to harm the opponent"
Keane: "Whether he intended to or not is irrelevant"
Southgate: "....I know it's irrelevant"

well, thanks for that thrilling input Gareth

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
Nani does have his eyes on the ball as he goes in but as he makes contact with the player he leaves his foot in and then extends his leg towards the player rather than contracting it , that's what the ref sees and that's why he sends him off.
It all looks so clear cut to me and I cant understand why the media seem so blind to it.

That is exactly what I thought, Nani only had eyes for the ball as it was coming over his shoulder, but to me it didn't look like he attempted to pull his leg back at all when the player came into his view..

Jimmy Grimble

Southgate: "I still don't think he intended to harm the opponent"
Keane: "Whether he intended to or not is irrelevant"
Southgate: "....I know it's irrelevant"

well, thanks for that thrilling input Gareth

:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed. It was probably slightly harsh but I've seen harsher. Agree also about replays (although there may be a case for goal-line technology - but I'm not going to make it for the sake of half-a-dozen or so incidents a season). You can see it on penalties when they analyse it time and time again from myriad different camera angles. It still ends up with the defenders back in the studio saying it wasn't a pen and the attackers saying it was. Just let the ref make a decision and stick with it.

Anyway, Man U wouldn't have stopped those two Madrid goals if they'd had twelve players on the pitch. Great skill.

EDIT: Just to say I watched the game and I was supporting Man U in case anyone thinks that last statement is anti-Man U prejudice.

Amen to that Brovion, I couldn't agree more.

On the whole I'm in favour of goal-line technology, as long as thats the *only* technology introduced to the game. Something that gives an instant indicator when the ball has crossed the line. I dread that being just the start of it though, you see it all the time with people calling for replays to decide penalties, offsides, fouls, dirty looks, naughty words. It'd never end.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Spot on.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I dont know why they bother asking Keane to be a pundit. He's has to go down as one of the all-time thugs of football.
It doesn't matter how influential he was as a player, he was an animal and should have been banned for life for his tackle on Alfie Inge Haalland.

He just likes to be in the spotlight and as a totally failed manager is worried he will be forgotten, so he gets on TV and spouts crap to draw attention.
Thick as a brick, he should be confined to history and never appear on TV again.

Excellent post although I think you're rather generous in your evaluation of Keane's attributes..... :)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
2daf803.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here