Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV and Robert Preston.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Agree with you on Mason, but not on Peston. Mason is an anti-capitalist, by the way.

'post capitalist' not anti-capitalist
I don't necessarily agree with him on everything but he is prepared to stick his neck out and say interesting and provacative things. Which I respect.
And on many issues i'd trust his sources way ahead of the mainstream boys and girls at BBC, ITV, Sky etc
Sadly he has yet to tell us whether Glenn Murray is returning.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Paul Mason (Channel 4) is a cut above in my opinion. He really doesn't follow the herd, he has his own contacts (so doesn't just rely on repeating the line being fed by the bankers PR machines) and does his own thinking.

He also did a fantastic documentary on Northern Soul a couple of years ago.

[yt]JMtaEASd2LI[/yt]

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Peston on news at 10 last night looked like a farmer on a night out, even Julia Summerville was taking the piss out of him.
Kussenburg is 'orrible, she needs to get her face straightened out.

PS its Sophie Rayworth? That I am desperate to do some thing appalling to.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
When the presenter becomes bigger than the story it's the time to ignore them. When they become the story then its even worse. Plenty of better political/financial journo's about anyway.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Disagree with earlier posts about Peston and the financial crisis.

The awards he won were from other journalists, just back slapping. Getting a scoop in that situation wasn't helpful to anyone but him.

I doubt anyone affected by the collapse of Northern Rock would give him an award. He also wrote misleading stuff later about the causes of the crisis to justify his part in the run on that bank.

Lots of people still seem to think that NR giving people in the UK 125% mortgages was a major cause of the collapse of the financial system instead of a symptom. It wasn't, and the symptom could have been treated far better had there not been so much scaremongering.

On my phone so can't be bothered to find the data but the fact is that home repossessions in the UK were actually barely affected considering the situation and therefore the "toxic" assets taken over by the government (as NRAM) have proved to be mostly just assets rather than the rubbish people were lead (particularly by Peston) to believe they were. I did research on this as the figures just didn't add up.

We did not have a subprime mortgage problem like America.

He built his part very well though I'll give him that.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I like Peston, mainly because he reminds me of a mate. Love his laid back attitude. maybe not right for the news and must be a nightmare when trying to keep a story to time.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
'post capitalist' not anti-capitalist
I don't necessarily agree with him on everything but he is prepared to stick his neck out and say interesting and provacative things. Which I respect.
And on many issues i'd trust his sources way ahead of the mainstream boys and girls at BBC, ITV, Sky etc
Sadly he has yet to tell us whether Glenn Murray is returning.

I still agree with you on Mason. I just think that he's none too fond of capitalism, and is (perhaps prematurely) predicting its demise (he was doing it on Start the Week yesterday, for instance). This might be another way of saying that he's both anti-capitalist and post-capitalist, although the latter is the theory he's articulated.
Yes, he says interesting stuff, but what stands out is that he's a relatively mainstream journalist that says something different (whereas just about everyone else doesn't veer too far off the script). This says more about the lack of diversity in mainstream economics/politics journalism, than anything else. It's also worth noting that he got constant abuse in the press when working at the BBC (whereas those of a different political persuasion get off scot-free).

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I quite like Kuenssburg, and I'm very very glad Peston has moved to a channel I rarely watch.

Paul Mason (Channel 4) is a cut above in my opinion. He really doesn't follow the herd, he has his own contacts (so doesn't just rely on repeating the line being fed by the bankers PR machines) and does his own thinking.

Many of those in the 'financial world' need to stop being so arrogant and if they think they are being misrepresented by journalists start to think about how they might communicate with a little more clarity and a lot more humility. It's become pretty clear most of them have no idea what is going on most of the time either.

But it's a vicious circle. If those in the markets thought there would be accurate reporting they would talk to these people - problem is that journos are more interested in headline news rather than what's really going on.

If they knew anything they'd be in the market - not reporting on it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here