Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Its Tony Blooms Blue & White Army

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm team Bloom too plus I wanted the managerial change, still felt it wasn't handled too well and the timing unless they have someone lined up was poor. However, it is done now and raking over it will do no one any good. It's all about the future now and in particular the coming transfer window which along with the new manager will be pivotal to the next 5 years IMO.

I admire Bloom's courage in making the decision which was hard and he cannot be 100% sure it'll be the right one but for us to progress I think it needed to be done and if he gets it right could lead to mid table security, a lowering of the age of the team, more exciting football and maybe a shot at building something really exciting...

The timing was unfortunate in as much as he was only interviewed a few hours before on Sky talking about next season!
What's worse is that everyone knows we want Potter. If Swansea refuse permission whatever the offer or he decides to stay, everyone knows that the next appointment is our 2nd choice!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I will support Tony Bloom through thick and thin ..... Its this Guy who's family have supported this club and he has what it takes to keep us in this league and take us into Europe ..... Without Tony forget it .........

I have 'liked' your post; I'm not sure why the thread was necessary though - Albion supporters would all agree with your comments surely?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
In fairness, Dick Knight admits (in his rather well-written book) that TB had put as much as he had into the club before he became chairman, and mentions a figure of £2m, which grew even before he took over as chairman. That's not exactly 'standing by'

Tis indeed a brilliant book, though a pedant in the know would suggest the circs in the last couple of sentences of page 253 are largely incorrect. Thanks for the name check and photo though. One of my proudest moments!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I suggest if anyone is even questioning Mr Bloom or his motives then they go and watch Four Year Plan on Amazon Prime (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Four-Year-Plan-Amit-Bhatia/dp/B0778NJDQK) to see what it is like to have a complete barmpot in charge of a football club. Bratori probably would have sacked Hughton at the press conference announcing him.

That is brilliant TV if you didnt know the club and people involved you would think it was a spoof.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The timing was unfortunate in as much as he was only interviewed a few hours before on Sky talking about next season!
What's worse is that everyone knows we want Potter. If Swansea refuse permission whatever the offer or he decides to stay, everyone knows that the next appointment is our 2nd choice!

I wouldn't have thought that was unusual. managers have turned down clubs before. That's life.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

It doesn't really. I've read that before.

Not deliberately mischief making, I genuinely don't know. There was talk about him selling an online betting company at some point, but I genuinely haven't ever seen what that was, or when it was sold. Always feels like he was suddenly rich about the time we got planning permission for Falmer, which would have been a stroke of immaculate timing. But I always have this nagging worry that I'd love to lose, that he was sat on a pretty serious pile of cash when all Brighton fans were getting written to by Martin Perry about needing a donation or the club may not make it to the end of the season.

It's not so great to think that he only stepped up when there was something he felt was worthy of an investment. Makes sense of a businessman, but conflicts with the idea of being this big Brighton fan throwing money at the club he's always loved.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Wasn't his uncle Ray on the board supporting Archer and Bellotti?

Also asking for a friend.

Reality at the time was that football clubs were a collection of reasonably wealthy men, and if the wealthiest of them wanted more control, he would seem the best person to be in control, because he was the wealthiest. In fairness to ray, who could have imagined what Archer had in mind? It hadn't been done before, so it was more of an innocent age in terms of what shenaneghans may take place.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
In fairness, Dick Knight admits (in his rather well-written book) that TB had put as much as he had into the club before he became chairman, and mentions a figure of £2m, which grew even before he took over as chairman. That's not exactly 'standing by'

Was this when we were writing cheques of £100 and £250 to save the club? I doubt it, as the reason we didn't get the "names on seats at Falmer" as we were promised at the time was because Bloom wasn't party to that decision. That £2m must have come much later, I'd have thought.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Bloom is looking to the future and the bigger picture.

Has the club developed each year under his chairmanship?

Well, there is your answer.

My signature for years had Blooming marvellous scenes for a reason.

Your hibernation during the Hyypia season was very wise.

I'm being churlish, of course. That blip aside, it has been a truly astonishing rise under his stewardship. The club, and everything about it (apart from the name and kit) is barely recognisable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here