Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's time to start living like free people.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I appreciate your point of view and the reasons for it. My own feelings are not a miĺlion mikes away. I just find it difficult to take seriously anything that is handed down precisely because they were so ineffectual right at the start when it probably mattered.

And the Cummings County Durham Bernard Castle eye test factor does not help either - and they is an understatement. Do as I say, not as I do.

Bernard Castle did SO much damage to the government’s credibility and has now resulted in just 18% of people following self isolation rules.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The aveage number of deaths in the UK each year attributed to seasonal flu are 10,000 so far Covid19 has killed in excess of 40,000 and it's not seasonal to the same extent as flu and remember we are still five months away from a full years data, if this current surge is not contained quickly 40,000 could very quickly become 80,000.

The extra hospital ICU beds and equipment are a welcome addition but we are still short of suitably qualified staff and will be so for the next four years.

Flu has a vaccine and treatments including antiviral drugs designed to target the condition while Covid we have no vaccine and no anti viral drugs designed to treat paitents.

It was far to early to ease lockdown and then far to quickly open up the various levels giving false comfort that the worst was behind us and life can return to normal.

It cannot and we are being led by donkeys who oftern refer to this being the greatest financial cost to the UK since WW2 and that the deaths are outweighed by the cost,.

So far we have accounted for more deaths due to Covid than deaths from the blitz.

Stay safe

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well there is a chance that will never happen. What then? Vaccine could only be 50% effective.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...effective-is-that-good-enough?t=1601545064418

I appreciate that, but at the moment the inconsiderate minority are making things difficult.

Everyone may have their own opinion on where the various governments of the world are going wrong, but respect for your fellow human being and their health shouldn’t be too big an ask.

To be honest, my shopping analogy was probably a poor one, as I don’t think we have any intention of going anywhere near a shop any time, let alone now!

PS - just reread that article and you have done it again with your figures, haven’t you - you really are a glass half empty character aren’t you!

You neglect to mention that 50% efficacy doesn’t mean 50% effective coverage, that some others will get the virus, but not as virulent a strain, the vaccine creating some protection. The report also says they would hope for 75% efficacy, but that clearly doesn’t fit your more and more obvious herd immunity agenda...

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Here, mind you it is a mainstream newspaper so clearly can’t be trusted to be accurate...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-self-isolation-uk-rules-symptoms-police-fines-b594240.html

Interesting bit from it

Our results suggest that financial constraints and caring responsibilities impeded adherence to self-isolation,” said the behavioural experts.

Also they quote 18% with symptoms..but 70% without would....hmm...I’d be interested to see how they phrased the questions

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Interesting bit from it

Our results suggest that financial constraints and caring responsibilities impeded adherence to self-isolation,” said the behavioural experts.

Also they quote 18% with symptoms..but 70% without would....hmm...I’d be interested to see how they phrased the questions

This was touched upon on the TV this morning that people, in particular those on low-income, need to be financially insentivised to self isolate.

Many can't afford to take 2 weeks off work, unpaid or on SSP, or are being pressurised by bosses to go to work!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Looks like we are going back to State of emergency after coming out of the restrictions too early, that has caused a spike in Prague. Going to a webcast link for my mothers funeral at Woodvale next Friday. Anybody had experience of this?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Well there is a chance that will never happen. What then? Vaccine could only be 50% effective.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...effective-is-that-good-enough?t=1601545064418

I can guarantee not having a Vaccine will be 0% effective. Even if the first one doesn't offer near universal immunity they will keep going until they find one that will. If one isn't ready to go by next Spring then it might be time to review the restrictions in places but even then we will have developments in testing and treatment.

I get the impression you have lost the ability to process anything resembling positive news.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looks like we are going back to State of emergency after coming out of the restrictions too early, that has caused a spike in Prague. Going to a webcast link for my mothers funeral at Woodvale next Friday. Anybody had experience of this?

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I remember that amazing photo you showed us of family on Hove seafront (I think it was), back in the day.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I remember that amazing photo you showed us of family on Hove seafront (I think it was), back in the day.

Thank you. She kept telling us she could go any day for the last couple of years, so she prepared us. Thankfully, passed in her sleep. Just struggling to get my head round the idea of her funeral via a webcast

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1601560814113.jpg
    FB_IMG_1601560814113.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Czech govt was quite strict about the virus and still came out of restrictions too early. Hope the UK govt has some balls to resist the bleatings of people who are making their own decisions, mostly based on information they have gleaned from their social media platforms

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Czech govt was quite strict about the virus and still came out of restrictions too early. Hope the UK govt has some balls to resist the bleatings of people who are making their own decisions, mostly based on information they have gleaned from their social media platforms

We all get sucked into party politics, but taking a step back, imho Sturgeon, Johnson, Macron and all the others in western Europe generally follow the advice of scientists and public health experts. Opposition politicians too such as Starmer.

The selective Libertarians who frantically search Facebook and Twatter for confirmation bias of baloney, seem irate, so they've not won the debate.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Sorry for your loss Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here