Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

its the end of........................

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think the way forward will be how Chile have played. A pressing game but also paired with excellent teamwork and skill to create the opportunities.

My dark horses for this world cup

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Fantastic stuff, you're moaning about out style of play from listening to it on the radio. Amazing.

where have I said anything about our style of play
only the fact that I could not be there
you are fast becoming my stalker

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Then Guardiola's style creeps further and further from the and rather than the brilliant attacking style played by one of the most exciting squads it becomes an ultradefensive pile of rubbish that somehow gets excused because they have loads of possession. A Spanish team with Alonso, Xavi, Villa, Torres (when he was good), Iniesta etc. start passing the ball back to the keeper rather than try and score a goal and spend the whole World Cup grinding out 1 nil wins.

It was an appalling waste of talent and another form of Mourinho's anti football. This pattern is now happening at Bayern as Guardiola changes them from an incredibly exciting counter attacking team that is now regressing to aimlessly kicking it between eachother rather than trying to score.

What utter nonsense. Yes Spain didn't score that many goals in the WC but their play was hardly passing it back to the keeper. Rubbish. They completely outplayed Germany in that tournament. Made it look easy, against the team everyone was saying were so good, almost like a training ground game. It didn't get the scoreline it deserved, but ultra defensive/passing back to the keeper it most certainly wasn't.

The final they were being kicked to shit, but still tried to play their game and kept their heads.

Not forgetting the masterclass of the Euro 2012 final too.

I love how you describe highly skillful passing of the ball as 'aimlessly kicking it' too. One of the keys to playing good football.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I think the way forward will be how Chile have played. A pressing game but also paired with excellent teamwork and skill to create the opportunities.

My dark horses for this world cup

They were bloody brilliant. I kept wondering during the game though if they could ever keep it up. Which they did. But can they play with that intensity all game every game?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
where have I said anything about our style of play
only the fact that I could not be there
you are fast becoming my stalker

You said how boring tippy-yappy is, didn't you? Then you said it was boring listening to it on the radio.

Your stalker? Erm, no. I'm kevtherev's stalker.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
BqcQuDgIgAEfo4S.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So you honestly can't see that there is a massive difference between how Barca play compared to Real Madrid, or are just sticking to your point out of sheer stubbornness?

Nothing stubborn about my point. Barcelona don't even play like Barcelona did three years ago.

However, the central point is that virtually every team in the World Cup is playing their own version of what Spain did over the past three tournaments, with varying degrees of success. In short, Spain have been caught and overtaken at their own game.

So how can it be a past thing when many others copy it?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Nothing stubborn about my point. Barcelona don't even play like Barcelona did three years ago.

However, the central point is that virtually every team in the World Cup is playing their own version of what Spain did over the past three tournaments, with varying degrees of success. In short, Spain have been caught and overtaken at their own game.

So how can it be a past thing when many others copy it?
When Barcelona and Spain were at the peak of their powers they were playing very similar styles, and had the personnel to do so, when Pep left Camp Nou the style started to change, he's immediately implemented his style at Bayern and it was horrendously exposed against the pace of a ruthless counter attacking Real. The same goes for Spain against Holland and Chile, both teams allowed them slowly advance up the pitch absorbing pressure and then took them out with lightning pace. Obviously passing is key to any teams success but there's certainly a big difference between endless sideways passes and 2-3 quick forward passes to counter the opponent.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
To peak at one major tournament and win it, is a feat in itself. To do it three tournaments running, is one of football's greatest achievements. It is testimony to a group of high class players, knitted together by 3-4 world class players ( and you need those to win tournaments ) fantastic team spirit and an invigorating style of play.
The best teams don't always win...Hungary 1954, Holland 1974, Brazil 1982, Italy 1990. There are so many different factors...injury, luck, the draw, the weather, inspired opponent etc. Spain have overridden all of this and come through and put an underperforming country back on the map. That is their legacy.
Ultimately, it was one tournament too far but a whole generation of young Spaniards will be coming through looking to play with verve and passion. Maybe Del Bosque was too loyal to some but he's not the first to make that mistake and he won't be the last. After three straight tournament wins, he felt they deserved this last hurrah.
Like a great boxer going over the top, there is always going to be a certain amount of sadness/sympathy but eventually, everyone has to move over for the new order.

Excellent summary.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
They were bloody brilliant. I kept wondering during the game though if they could ever keep it up. Which they did. But can they play with that intensity all game every game?

Not forgetting Jara Reyes (ex on-loan at BHA).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here