Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IT'S OFFICIAL: Ashley Barnes is "a good player".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why should I listen to the opinion of two professional coaches who have wide experience of English and Continental and international football between them and have been in close proximity to the player, watched him, talked to him, listened to him and seen him do what they want - why should I take their views and believe them in preference to the opinions of somebody who just happens to sit behind someone else in WSL, or wherever it was, most home games and shout abuse.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
In football, everyone has opinions!!

I don't rate Barnes as highly as some,but he's certainly not a poor player.

I can't ever see him being 'Premiership class' though. If I'm proved incorrect then it's good news for Barnes and money in the bank for us. Win.Win. :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Quote from Oscar in today's Arsegas: “He can play in different positions and offers mobility to our attack. He's a good player."

Not that I ever doubted our Ash, but some might care to remember this instead of verbally abusing our own players. Yes, including you, the bloke who sits behind me in WSL!

Good is right. As I've always said; Good NOT great. And then there's his petulance...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Says the person who just used the term "hater"...

Some people don't rate Ash as highly as others for perfectly valid reasons but that doesn't mean they are "haters" or ridiculous it just means they see something you dont.

No, they're mostly not valid reasons. Mostly based on making a judgment on him YEARS ago and being too proud and stubborn to admit they were massively wrong, even though they've been proved wrong time and time and time again.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
No, they're mostly not valid reasons. Mostly based on making a judgment on him YEARS ago and being too proud and stubborn to admit they were massively wrong, even though they've been proved wrong time and time and time again.

They're wrong? What because you say so? and you and people who rate him have a superior football knowledge to those that don't? Barnes is a good player. Not terrible. Not brilliant. But on NSC if you so much as criticise the lad suddenly your opinon is invalid? Sorry but that's utter tripe. Most of the "Barnes bashing" I've seen is based on his ill temperament, a perfectly valid criticism.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why should I listen to the opinion of two professional coaches who have wide experience of English and Continental and international football between them and have been in close proximity to the player, watched him, talked to him, listened to him and seen him do what they want - why should I take their views and believe them in preference to the opinions of somebody who just happens to sit behind someone else in WSL, or wherever it was, most home games and shout abuse.

:lol:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Clearly made up to suit your agenda.
I thought he showed promise when he was on loan and was delighted when he signed. My opinion is not personal, I just think he has struggled to make the step up to the championship. I.e. I find a lot of our moves break down when the ball gets to Ash. I could be wrong.:shrug:
I also think that his fervent supporters make themselves look a bit silly with their, "we're right, you're wrong" attitude.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I fear he may be off..reading between the lines on Oscar's comments

I fear he may be off..reading between the lines on Oscar's comments

My fear would be that, if we genuinely don't have the capacity to replace Barnes with an equal or better player, we really have no business contending to be a Premier League team

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I couldn't agree more but there are "fans" who shout dogs abuse at him every time he gets the ball. It's extremely tiresome.

The problem is that the players hear it. I can never understand the mentality of fans who think that buying a ticket gives them the right to abuse their own team loudly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My fear would be that, if we genuinely don't have the capacity to replace Barnes with an equal or better player, we really have no business contending to be a Premier League team

Should Ashley want out it leaves the club between a rock and hard place, I can't believe that they will be happy to see him leave but if we can't compete on wages and he wants out what can they do? His contract has a year to run so he holds the aces. Hope I am being overly negative and he does decide to sign. Not sure we can hold this against the club and we will struggle to replace him.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
We've seen him be awesome (v Chelsea & arsenal for instance) and we've seen him be utter pony: lazy and petulant.

If we got awesome Ash every week there'd be no problem, sadly we didn't last season.
Maybe it was the 451/433, maybe it was the boss, maybe it was left wing? Maybe he's a bit nuts?

Fingers crossed he gets the opportunity and motivation (and inclination) to put in 100% and play where he can to score as many as we know he can this season.

A 442 would suit him, Leo and Will nicely but might leave us too short in middle of the field.

Hopefully our Oscar's way will give us all what we want, including Barnesy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here