Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "It's not VAR, it's the people running it"

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
AWFUL AWFUL addition to football. Get ****ing rid of it. Would much rather have the spontaneity of human error than the joy-sucking shitshow that is re-refereeing the game.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Because he doesn’t need to stop him making a clearance, just impact on his ability. And the argument would be that he could make a better clearance with clear unobstructed sight of the ball.

James Justin gets a clean head on it and clears the ball past the D. If he has a better clearance than that in his locker, he should be starting for England against Italy.

His movement towards the ball to head it does not change in any way as it is swung in. He is not impacted by Mwepu’s action at all.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
AWFUL AWFUL addition to football. Get ****ing rid of it. Would much rather have the spontaneity of human error than the joy-sucking shitshow that is re-refereeing the game.

Yes, yes, yes! :thumbsup:

If our "third" had stood people would have been talking about the strike and the joy in the crowd for days and it might have made the Goal of the Season final. No one would have said "but what if the guy who didn't touch it was a toenail offside". Now, instead, they're talking about a 4 minute decision, some technology that can't (it turns out) decide "matters of fact" or "clear and obvious errors" and a referee that's out of his depth.

PGMOL you owe me a celebration.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Are you not losing sight of what (ultimately) the offside law is all about ? It was brought in to prevent goalhanging. It was brought in to stop an attacker gaining an unfair advantage through being behind the last defender when the ball is played forward.

Did Mwepu achieve any of that before the defender cleared the ball, 2 seconds before Argie Mac larrupped it into the top corner from 25 yards ? Is THIS what we're paying to watch ?

I agree he doesn’t gain an advantage from coming back from a marginal offside in that situation and the laws should probably be changed

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
James Justin gets a clean head on it and clears the ball past the D. If he has a better clearance than that in his locker, he should be starting from England against Italy.

His movement towards the ball to head it does not change in any way as it is swung in. He is not impacted by Mwepu’s action at all.

And if we are SERIOUSLY getting down to this level of minutiae to determine a "clear and obvious error", then....well.

Its indefensible.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've just seen one of the best goals I have seen in my life (and that's a f***ing longtime) disallowed because of some complete and utter f***ing ******** with their lines and freeze frames.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons I have enjoyed watching and playing football for many many years.

It's a complete and utter f***ing joke :rant:

....and relax

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
"Brighton were tremendous today and I was sort of glad Macallister scored that free kick because the decision to overrule his first goal was an absolute farce"

- A Leicester fan

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/130034-brighton-a-post-match-thread/page/7/#comments

The one thing I'll say is that I think it galvanised us into the absolute dry humping Leicester got in the second half. We raised our game even further after that and Ali Mac clearly wanted to score again. The free kick, sadly, is a goal of the month, rather than goal of the season, but instead of sulk (as I was doing in the stands) we used the decision to get a massively impressive kick on.

Since we now use about 10 match balls a game I hope someone nicked one to give to Mac at training.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Gutted for Alexis, who will struggle to score as good a goal again in his career.

I can only rationalise the outcome by reminding myself that the free kick that led to the "goal" was given following a dive by Webster.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The one thing I'll say is that I think it galvanised us into the absolute dry humping Leicester got in the second half. We raised our game even further after that and Ali Mac clearly wanted to score again. The free kick, sadly, is a goal of the month, rather than goal of the season, but instead of sulk (as I was doing in the stands) we used the decision to get a massively impressive kick on.

Since we now use about 10 match balls a game I hope someone nicked one to give to Mac at training.

[tweet]1566445228298420224[/tweet]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

It did indeed. But it could easily have gone the other way - heads dropping, "not our day" syndrome. Thankfully LCFC were so inept, and rather than getting spurred on by their fortunate escape, they still caved. Thats more down to us than them, but no thanks to the pricks in charge of the game. They made it much harder, but we still won, despite their pathetic "interpretations".

I've always said it from day 1, I would bin VAR tomorrow. Yes it sometimes rights some wrongs, but it causes just as much controversy as it was brought in to supposedly solve, and the trade-off to the overall spectacle is not, and will not, ever be worth it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One of the main reasons refereeing standards (in my view) have declined in the last few years is because of VAR. They know they don't have to get everything right as VAR will pick them up on anything they miss.

Won't go on about VAR as it's been done to death. I always have been against VAR from the outset and still am today. I know it's not going to change but I'd like to see it's removal - the length of time to rule out Big Mac's goal today was a case in point - just over 4 mins to make that decision which ruins the continuity of any match and the curtailed celebrations of the supporters.

Oh, I just have!

So why were refereeing standards in decline before VAR was introduced? We had no officials at the 2018 World Cup which was a first in my lifetime.

I'm for VAR because our refs are and were crap but there is a lot that can be done to make it much better. My concern is that I believe the PGMOL are the sol arbiters of what is and what isn't acceptable. They decide where the bar is set in respect of acceptable physical contact whereas surely it should be the FA and the EPL that set the standards that the refs should adhere to!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It did indeed. But it could easily have gone the other way - heads dropping, "not our day" syndrome. Thankfully LCFC were so inept, and rather than getting spurred on by their fortunate escape, they still caved. Thats more down to us than them, but no thanks to the pricks in charge of the game. They made it much harder, but we still won, despite their pathetic "interpretations".

I've always said it from day 1, I would bin VAR tomorrow. Yes it sometimes rights some wrongs, but it causes just as much controversy as it was brought in to supposedly solve, and the trade-off to the overall spectacle is not, and will not, ever be worth it.

I think the only question is "has it improved the game?".

It has not improved the game. 100% not improved it.

I'm not against change or technology. I sell change and technology for a living. And every time I have a customer whose life isn't improved by change and technology I have some VERY difficult questions to answer. Not so referees and football authorities it would seem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So why were refereeing standards in decline before VAR was introduced? We had no officials at the 2018 World Cup which was a first in my lifetime.

I'm for VAR because our refs are and were crap but there is a lot that can be done to make it much better. My concern is that I believe the PGMOL are the sol arbiters of what is and what isn't acceptable. They decide where the bar is set in respect of acceptable physical contact whereas surely it should be the FA and the EPL that set the standards that the refs should adhere to!

Marking their own homework. Again....

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Just got to this thread and not going to read all through it, but it absolutely is VAR as a system to blame. Any system which routinely takes forever to pour through the minutiae is just totally incompatible with football fan culture. They've had years to tweak it or make it better and if they haven't by now they never will. As it stands it's intolerable.

It should be removed from our game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here