Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "It's not VAR, it's the people running it"

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Ref watch, Gallagher has surpassed himself today. Says the Newcastle goal disallowed by VAR should have been a penalty for the push and not just awarded as a goal due to the Newcastle player fouling the keeper after he was pushed. He's mad, how can you foul someone when you have been pushed into them? That's not a foul. Does that mean if you are wiped out and in doing so you collude with another player and injure them you can be sent off? The consequence of the push was he collided with the keeper, tough.

Refs are circling the wagons.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think I watched every match in the Womens Euros. There was very little VAR intervention and certainly nothing that was controversial.

That suggests to me that it is the quality of the officials operating the system, rather than the system itself, that is the problem.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
VAR wallahs should be absolutely verboten from passing the buck back to the ref on the ground, who will be only watching the footage they just watched. Quite ridiculous really. One job, they only had one job...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think I watched every match in the Womens Euros. There was very little VAR intervention and certainly nothing that was controversial.

That suggests to me that it is the quality of the officials operating the system, rather than the system itself, that is the problem.

Think the physicality and pace of the Women's game, plus the players lack of "cheating" makes it easier to get the decisions right.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

The implication there is that the women's officials are much better than the men's. I'm not ruling that out, but seems improbable, especially as a pathway does exist to the top of the men's game.

More likely VAR did intervene but as you had less riding on the outcome you remember it less.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
VAR should be run with an ex-pro in attendance.
A Gary Neville, Jamie carragher type people

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
VAR should be run with an ex-pro in attendance.
A Gary Neville, Jamie carragher type people

They frequently disagree with eachother on refs decisions, and sometimes are not aware of the entire law book, so I don't really see how that is the magical solution. And as said previously, what ex-PL-player would do that for £70k a year?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Argie Mac "foul" on the cheat Maddison which saw Mac booked was a dive. Looked like a foul live. Replay showed no contact and that Maddison took a dive.

"Clear and obvious" error by the ref. Freekick and booking should have been reversed.

Maddison was sent off at the Amex a couple of years ago in the first half, when he picked up a 2nd yellow card for diving in the box. It was a truly delicious moment.

Great player, but he's got it in him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
VAR wallahs should be absolutely verboten from passing the buck back to the ref on the ground, who will be only watching the footage they just watched. Quite ridiculous really. One job, they only had one job...

does seem a massive bottle job, having said there's something to review, dont want to commit a decision.
though really the ref should always be called to review it so the decision remains with him as it does when linesman flags. i thought that was the original intent and how was better applied in tournements.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
The Argie Mac "foul" on the cheat Maddison which saw Mac booked was a dive. Looked like a foul live. Replay showed no contact and that Maddison took a dive.

"Clear and obvious" error by the ref. Freekick and booking should have been reversed.

VAR doesn't intervene with yellow cards unless there is a possibility of a red.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but if VAR is removed SKY and the other providers will have a field day in conducting their own checks, dedicating hours of programmes analysing refereeing mistakes until they quickly conclude that a technical solution is needed. Assistant referees no longer assist the referees, all they do is try and keep the players away when VAR is being checked and take a cursory glance at the sole of the on coming substitute’s boots..

Top level football (as we used to know it) pressed the self destruct button 30 years ago and like most things is now being operated to satisfy the Asian betting markets.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but if VAR is removed SKY and the other providers will have a field day in conducting their own checks, dedicating hours of programmes analysing refereeing mistakes until they quickly conclude that a technical solution is needed. Assistant referees no longer assist the referees, all they do is try and keep the players away when VAR is being checked and take a cursory glance at the sole of the on coming substitute’s boots..

Top level football (as we used to know it) pressed the self destruct button 30 years ago and like most things is now being operated to satisfy the Asian betting markets.

I'm no fan of VAR, never have been. But if you're suggesting VAR is being used / manipulated to satisfy the Asian betting markets, then I'm afraid I'll have to call "Bobbins". Its not corruption. Its just plain old-fashioned rank incompetence.

To suggest the dribbling line-drawing goons at Stockley Park with their crayons are even remotely sophisticated enough to make decisions in accordance with a sinister underground Hong Kong betting syndicate is rather fanciful.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They frequently disagree with eachother on refs decisions, and sometimes are not aware of the entire law book, so I don't really see how that is the magical solution. And as said previously, what ex-PL-player would do that for £70k a year?

Why can’t it be any ex pro?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The irony of a bloke living in a squat full of pizza boxes dismissing a 70k PA salary as a bit rubbish........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here