Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] It's not funny, these guys are Heroes.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That looked like a video from the battlefield with the soldier being taken away on a stretcher, another one laying motionless on the ground!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What a silly way to dress in this weather.
Just finished a book on the Boer War.

The Scots guards fought wearing kilts and most got terrible sunburn out on the battlefield.
May have been one of the last wars where we wore our bright scarlet tunics - not the best of camouflage ...
More died from sickness than in battle

Some things have changed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just finished a book on the Boer War.

The Scots guards fought wearing kilts and most got terrible sunburn out on the battlefield.
May have been one of the last wars where we wore our bright scarlet tunics - not the best of camouflage ...
More died from sickness than in battle

Some things have changed.
Should have applied their Factor 50.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But I dare you not to smile as one soldier plays on having fainted, another can be seen being whisked off on a stretcher behind him.

Maybe just me, but I find it disturbing rather than amusing. These are hard as nails guys. That poor bastid is struggling horribly, and neither he nor the guys either side of him (who are clearly torn between maintaining formation and helping out their mate) have any idea there is a stretcher crew coming to his assistance. To his credit, he struggles to his feet, does his utmost to carry on, and refuses the offer of the stretcher. Total respect to the bloke :bowdown:

Can't be beyond the wit of the military shirley to incorporate some discrete modifications to the uniform - or the parade - to stop some of Britain's finest soldiers essentially boiling in a bag for purely ceremonial reasons. What gives? ???

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Maybe just me, but I find it disturbing rather than amusing. These are hard as nails guys. That poor bastid is struggling horribly, and neither he nor the guys either side of him (who are clearly torn between maintaining formation and helping out their mate) have any idea there is a stretcher crew coming to his assistance. To his credit, he struggles to his feet, does his utmost to carry on, and refuses the offer of the stretcher. Total respect to the bloke :bowdown:

Can't be beyond the wit of the military shirley to incorporate some discrete modifications to the uniform - or the parade - to stop some of Britain's finest soldiers essentially boiling in a bag for purely ceremonial reasons. What gives? ???
Seems like they’re just waiting for someone to die of heatstroke before the army comes to its senses. It’s a ridiculous way to treat our armed forces. In any other occupation they would be taken to the cleaners by the health and safety executive.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

When I first saw this I was split between sadness seeing the soldiers on a stretcher and laughing seeing a soldier being carried off in the distance.
Morning after maybe I should rethink it. These, of course, are men/women who would lay down their life for you and I. They shouldn't be treated this way by some Major sat in his air conditioned office.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

I don’t believe anyone has ever described bandies as being hard as nails. Saying that, it was bad enough in Naval rig so they certainly have my sympathy. It’s bad enough having to march up and down without carrying a load of metalwork as well.
I only ever once came close to passing out on divisions (army, crabs etc are on parade) and that was due to my own stupidity, very dehydrated due to being hungover. Not one of my cleverest moments ….

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just stop playing and help your mate. What are they scared of happening? Upsetting some knob royal. f*** me.
Orders but not from the Royals.
I was told if I felt faint, I was to do a right turn, and fall out of rank. It happened to me twice in my career.

It’s not just the sweltering heat, but your circulation starts slowing up, and blood doesn’t get pumped back up your body.
You are supposed to move your feet within your shoes to help the veins pump the blood back up the legs, but do it very subtly so the public don’t observe you wriggling.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Putting people’s health at risk for what is ultimately a bit of Disney-esque spectacle because we’re pretending it’s someone’s birthday when it isn’t just feels like such a weird thing to do

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Orders but not from the Royals.
I was told if I felt faint, I was to do a right turn, and fall out of rank. It happened to me twice in my career.

It’s not just the sweltering heat, but your circulation starts slowing up, and blood doesn’t get pumped back up your body.
You are supposed to move your feet within your shoes to help the veins pump the blood back up the legs, but do it very subtly so the public don’t observe you wriggling.
What were you advised to do or not do if your mate fainted?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Mad Dogs and Englishmen...........

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps drinking some water would help

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Putting people’s health at risk for what is ultimately a bit of Disney-esque spectacle because we’re pretending it’s someone’s birthday when it isn’t just feels like such a weird thing to do
Division (RN) and parades happen practically every week somewhere.

Trooping the Colour used to occur on the Sovereign’s birthday but wet uniforms were hard to deal with.

The two-birthday tradition began with King George II who made the military parade part of his official birthday celebration in 1748. He was born in October, but June generally can be relied upon for better weather. Any monarch with a birthday in the colder months normally opts to have two birthdays.
Charles III birthday is too close to Armistice Day.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
My dad always tells us of when he was picked to stand guard outside the Quirinale (the President of the Republic's building) at the end of his two years of draft service in Rome, and it was in the summer. They had chosen him because he's a tall man, but the problem with tall men is that they're more prone to fainting and my dad has always been a confirmation to this rule. After a while of standing still in the heat, he started wobbling in place and oscillating dangerously. Thankfully his supervisor (who was a much shorter and smaller man) noticed it and - with some external help - managed to drag him away before he could fall down straight flat on his face in front of the tourists and everyone else :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here