Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] It’s not for girls…

Funny & Harmless or misogynistic ?

• Harmless & funny, I don’t feel guilty laughing & why should I, it’s just a laugh.

Votes: 115 69.7%
  • Not funny, it is sexist and I am glad adverts like this have been consigned to the dustbin.

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • It was funny, but I feel guilty and uncomfortable with comedy like this now.

Votes: 31 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That said, what is of that time stays in that time. If it was acceptable then, as was the culture, no-one has the right to issue post-judgement- because if they lived in the time, they would likely have been the same.

So there is nothing wrong with any of the adverts placed above. There is nothing wrong with the posters
or the Yorkie add. It is just not something we do now- because now it is wrong. We have learnt a better way. I don't know why folk are clinging on…

I am categorically not bothered about stereotyping, it’s just unimaginative and limited thinking imo - the Yorkie ad is just boring.

I am also not offended by the 1950 poster ads or ‘clinging on’ to anything - I posted them as an example to show that times and culture have changed -it’s not about issuing ‘post-judgments’ that’s not why I posted the ads - ads that depict women as subservient (eg with men standing on their head or women kneeling at their feet with a tea tray) simply wouldn’t be acceptable now by contemporary western society you can’t possibly think otherwise?

Again - sorry to disagree with your comments with the other two images which are from 2009 and 2020 ( not a different era) The Bacardi ad and Prada display which I placed above were regarded as not acceptable at the time and still aren’t for a lot of people, which was my point. Personally I like the Prada figurines, and aren’t bothered by sexual stereotyping - I’m the least woke person there is! However they still still missed the mark on what is acceptable for many people now and as such were withdrawn. Cultures are constantly changing and often, people aren’t aware that something is offensive until it causes offence.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Certainly don’t think it’s offensive other than being a brain dead, stereotyping, badly made ad (mildly funny in that some ad exec convinced Nestles (or was it Rowntree?) that spending thousands marketing their non-gender specific product as being only suitable for men or butch women was a good idea 🙄)

At least we’ve moved on from this
View attachment 157623
View attachment 157624
Although still missing the mark decades later …

View attachment 157625
View attachment 157627

Ps - there’s no poll option for ‘It’s harmless and it’s not funny’

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Culture wars threads always go the same way and end up in the same place.
Not seen it before and can't be arsed to watch it now.

Also available:

Love Thy Neighbour
The Steptoe film (on TV recently, with the hilarious black babies :facepalm: ).

Etc.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Saw this on FB the other day and it is part of a huge pattern of posts where people willingly pretend that their are a large group of people offended by this stuff. As usual what is missing is the people actually offended by it.

The world has moved on and this and, like so many hundreds of others would be out of place today. That is the way the world works we progress. It is really as simple as that. We don't accept the same things as 20 years ago.

I am becoming more and more convinced that the culture wars are being fought against ghosts. We see vast swathes of people referencing 'woke' and 'snowflakes' complaining and being offended by everything but I simply do not come across those people.

It feels to me like another attempt to divide us and stifle discussion about stuff. And people jump on board so willingly. One has to ask why?

This interaction sums it all up rather well to me. The lad ends up claiming he is being silenced while on national radio spectacularly failing to make a coherent point.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Not in the UK for I suspect over 150 years . Slight difference in the complain about everything culture we have nowadays .
My two daughters aged 21 and 18 both found it funny. But apparently not as funny as the pictures of me wearing flares in the 70's.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Saw this on FB the other day and it is part of a huge pattern of posts where people willingly pretend that their are a large group of people offended by this stuff. As usual what is missing is the people actually offended by it.

The world has moved on and this and, like so many hundreds of others would be out of place today. That is the way the world works we progress. It is really as simple as that. We don't accept the same things as 20 years ago.

I am becoming more and more convinced that the culture wars are being fought against ghosts. We see vast swathes of people referencing 'woke' and 'snowflakes' complaining and being offended by everything but I simply do not come across those people.

It feels to me like another attempt to divide us and stifle discussion about stuff. And people jump on board so willingly. One has to ask why?

This interaction sums it all up rather well to me. The lad ends up claiming he is being silenced while on national radio spectacularly failing to make a coherent point.

I cannot abide O’Brien’s presenting style and delivery. I want to bop him on the nose when he does that pretence of not understanding.

However, he does well at exposing idiots so I can tolerate it for the end result.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The concept is funny. Parts of the execution are crass and sexist, and that’s where it fails.

“Stockings or tights?” Good grief!

Jimmy Grimble

The marketing definitely worked on me as a young child. I can remember buying them fairly regularly whenever I was given money to go the corner shop whilst my Dad was in the pub!

I can also remember thinking that the message was partly true. I say partly because I didn’t think the owner of the shop would be able to refuse to sell one to a girl, but I did think that girls were really not meant to have them.

It’s easy to shrug it off from an adults perspective but young kids are very impressionable, easily influenced and gullible (well, I was anyway).

As a kid, that message could easily have framed my thinking around what boys are allowed to have/do and what girls are. There was still a bit of a culture that girls shouldn’t play football around that sort of time as well as various other gender stereotypes, and that kind of marketing could easily have reinforced that view amongst young boys. It probably did with me for a while!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Yorkie Ad is no more offensive than women poking fun at men for being 'so ill' when they get a cold etc. i.e. not offensive at all, just a bit of fun at the expense of the opposite sex. Anyone that finds either of these things offensive needs to chill.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

In my experience, the biggest "snowflakes" (and I absolutely hate that phrase) are those who spend their time being offended that "you can't say anything these days" etc. Almost every culture war thread is started by someone getting upset that times are changing and they aren't. It's always happened, it's just magnified by internet outrage.

Take it out of the UK for a sec, and look at the US. The dictionary definition of a "snowflake" is "an insulting way of referring to someone who is considered by some people to be too easily upset and offended".

Try asking a MAGA hat wearing, 2nd amendment touting goon to wear a mask or consider the LGBTQIA+ community as an equal and see how quickly they get offended.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm boring even myself with this point again but we've got no veg in the shops, the trains don't ever seem to run, kids today won't ever be able to afford a house or retire and the thing that gets most people going is a culture war (or a Yorkie advert in this case).

Time we stopped looking the wrong way.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The concept is funny. Parts of the execution are crass and sexist, and that’s where it fails.

Are you kidding , this is serious stuff here , stockings are "THE" sexiest item of clothing ever worn by woman , besides it`s no different to a woman judging a bloke by his choice of boxers or briefs ;)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In my experience, the biggest "snowflakes" (and I absolutely hate that phrase) are those who spend their time being offended that "you can't say anything these days" etc. Almost every culture war thread is started by someone getting upset that times are changing and they aren't. It's always happened, it's just magnified by internet outrage.

Take it out of the UK for a sec, and look at the US. The dictionary definition of a "snowflake" is "an insulting way of referring to someone who is considered by some people to be too easily upset and offended".

Try asking a MAGA hat wearing, 2nd amendment touting goon to wear a mask or consider the LGBTQIA+ community as an equal and see how quickly they get offended.

This.

Has anyone ever started a thread on NSC to tell people how offended they are about something? I doubt it. The culture war fires are always stoked by the self-proclaimed anti-woke.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I googled the england women's teams attendances in 2002 when the original advert was (including asking the girl if she knew the offside rule). About 4000 people turning up to games, probably lots of free tickets to schools

The last 2 matches England played were in from of 32k (coventry) and 28k (bristol) fans I believe. Wembley sold out for recent games.

Times move on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

But the butt of all those jokes is actually men, not women. It’s playing on how bloody shallow we can be.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here