Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] It’s not for girls…

Funny & Harmless or misogynistic ?

• Harmless & funny, I don’t feel guilty laughing & why should I, it’s just a laugh.

Votes: 115 69.7%
  • Not funny, it is sexist and I am glad adverts like this have been consigned to the dustbin.

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • It was funny, but I feel guilty and uncomfortable with comedy like this now.

Votes: 31 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
By the way, getting back to the original direction of the thread, I read recently that, at a recent appearance at the Slapstick comedy festival, Robin Ince pointed out that the likes of Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr are viewed by a lot of younger comedians in the same way as 80s alternative comedians viewed Bernard Manning and that they, understandably don't like being viewed like this.

The OP just stated that a twelve year old was surprised at what was considered acceptable in terms of sexist humour as recently as 2003. Nobody has expressed outrage at the hackneyed ad campaign, yet there have been loads of posts from people saying 'Well if you're outraged by that..... etc.'

I'd go further than Robin Ince and suggest that a lot of my generation don't like that the shifting sands of cultural acceptability has now labelled them the equivalent of Bernard Manning's audience, and they feel the need to argue that the world shouldn't have changed and there is nothing wrong with 'just having a laugh'. The underlying thought is sadly 'The world has changed and I don't like that I'm not young anymore.' Understand please that I'm not having a go at anyone, because I definitely feel this way sometimes myself and I would be surprised to hear that anybody approaching middle age hasn't. Its natural. Its not our world anymore.

I find that the best approach for my blood pressure is to try to accept this with grace. I can stil listen to the original version of 'Fairytale of New York' or watch unedited episodes of 'Fawlty Towers'. I'd probably still watch 'It Ain't 'alf Hot Mum' if they showed it anywhere. - That theme song alone brings back warming waves of nostalgia for a simpler world. However, I can hold two conflicting thoughts in my head and I can at the same time understand that a piece of art's meaning to me is not the same as it's meaning to anybody else and that it doesn't need to be. My understanding and acceptance of the intent of MacGowan's lyrics does not have to trump someone else's dislike of the public use of a problematic word. Arguing that I should be able to sing it in their face because they are wrong to be upset gets nobody anywhere.

Every generation rebels against it's predecessor. It's their world now - let them get on with it rather than waste your time shouting into the void. I console myself with the knowledge that, although they get to control what is acceptable to write on the internet, they'll never know the joy of smoking in pubs.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Abe warned us.

Middle-aged men shouting at clouds.jpg

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Interesting, I'll be honest though, this post has a number of red flags that indicate we may be venturing into conspiracy theory territory

How would you know if there are red flags if you claim you know nothing about it? Who are "they"? Those on the receiving end of cancel culture etc by definition.
You are whats called a stage 1, denial, "it doesn't exist" stage 2 is yes it exists but its a good thing. I am not getting into playing games with you, you asked, " Would you post your best example of wokism and it's negative effect on society?" you got it and now we are finished as I dont care how informed you are or what your view is as you are not posting in good faith.

Crawley Dingo

Mar 31, 2022
In a sense, maybe Yorkie was NOT for girls, because in my experience most women have a discerning palate when it comes to chocolate.

Yorkie was extremely poor quality, I'm guessing because of its low cocoa content but maybe it was to do with something else.

I only had a Yorkie once when I was in my milk chocolate phase and found it horrible(Same for Galaxy chocolate), I suppose the machismo advertising reflects the desperation of pushing a sub standard product.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I love how this thread has gone from a choccie bar advert to “they” are trying to start a race war.

There’s only one word for that, Keith; magic darts.
it's the natural flow of conversation , when Rasmussen polls start getting mentioned on a thread about an item of confectionary you know that outrage cannot be far off.....shirley.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How would you know if there are red flags if you claim you know nothing about it? Who are "they"? Those on the receiving end of cancel culture etc by definition.
You are whats called a stage 1, denial, "it doesn't exist" stage 2 is yes it exists but its a good thing. I am not getting into playing games with you, you asked, " Would you post your best example of wokism and it's negative effect on society?" you got it and now we are finished as I dont care how informed you are or what your view is as you are not posting in good faith.
26FB68ED-AEF8-41B4-9A3F-28977779FA55.jpeg

Crawley Dingo

Mar 31, 2022
this is true ....this is what they are dealing with in America , we have been discussing this since the BLM riots ....America is a f***ing nut house.
18% of white americans say black lives don't matter, nut house is friggin right!

What they need is more divisive identity politics.:ffsparr:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
i still have not used the word "outrage" :lolol: ffs.....:lolol:
Perhaps next time you'll be good enough to tag my name if you want to suggest that I'm somehow feeling sensitive about something. That would seem the best thing to do.

Many thanks.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
it's the natural flow of conversation , when Rasmussen polls start getting mentioned on a thread about an item of confectionary you know that outrage cannot be far off.....shirley.
If you think this thread was created to discuss confectionary then I'd suggest you are naive in the extreme

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
By the way, getting back to the original direction of the thread, I read recently that, at a recent appearance at the Slapstick comedy festival, Robin Ince pointed out that the likes of Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr are viewed by a lot of younger comedians in the same way as 80s alternative comedians viewed Bernard Manning and that they, understandably don't like being viewed like this.

The OP just stated that a twelve year old was surprised at what was considered acceptable in terms of sexist humour as recently as 2003. Nobody has expressed outrage at the hackneyed ad campaign, yet there have been loads of posts from people saying 'Well if you're outraged by that..... etc.'

I'd go further than Robin Ince and suggest that a lot of my generation don't like that the shifting sands of cultural acceptability has now labelled them the equivalent of Bernard Manning's audience, and they feel the need to argue that the world shouldn't have changed and there is nothing wrong with 'just having a laugh'. The underlying thought is sadly 'The world has changed and I don't like that I'm not young anymore.' Understand please that I'm not having a go at anyone, because I definitely feel this way sometimes myself and I would be surprised to hear that anybody approaching middle age hasn't. Its natural. Its not our world anymore.

I find that the best approach for my blood pressure is to try to accept this with grace. I can stil listen to the original version of 'Fairytale of New York' or watch unedited episodes of 'Fawlty Towers'. I'd probably still watch 'It Ain't 'alf Hot Mum' if they showed it anywhere. - That theme song alone brings back warming waves of nostalgia for a simpler world. However, I can hold two conflicting thoughts in my head and I can at the same time understand that a piece of art's meaning to me is not the same as it's meaning to anybody else and that it doesn't need to be. My understanding and acceptance of the intent of MacGowan's lyrics does not have to trump someone else's dislike of the public use of a problematic word. Arguing that I should be able to sing it in their face because they are wrong to be upset gets nobody anywhere.

Every generation rebels against it's predecessor. It's their world now - let them get on with it rather than waste your time shouting into the void. I console myself with the knowledge that, although they get to control what is acceptable to write on the internet, they'll never know the joy of smoking in pubs.
This is probably one of the most sensible posts I've ever seen on this site. Six month ban?

In all seriousness, I think you're mostly spot on (I'm very glad never to have experienced pubs before the smoking ban). In regards to the OP, I cannot believe that 70% of NSC think that such a flagrantly problematic (both in terms of its misogyny and reinforcing tired tropes of masculinity) national ad campaign that went on for years was, in hindsight, harmless, BUT I remember thinking it was hilarious and "cool" at the time as a ten year old kid. As you say in the above, what is culturally acceptable has shifted dramatically in that sense. An ad campaign designed to be somewhat controversial in 2002, probably shouldn't be the hill people die on in 2023 though.

Yorkies were absolutely rank as well.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This is probably one of the most sensible posts I've ever seen on this site. Six month ban?

In all seriousness, I think you're mostly spot on (I'm very glad never to have experienced pubs before the smoking ban). In regards to the OP, I cannot believe that 70% of NSC think that such a flagrantly problematic (both in terms of its misogyny and reinforcing tired tropes of masculinity) national ad campaign that went on for years was, in hindsight, harmless, BUT I remember thinking it was hilarious and "cool" at the time as a ten year old kid. As you say in the above, what is culturally acceptable has shifted dramatically in that sense. An ad campaign designed to be somewhat controversial in 2002, probably shouldn't be the hill people die on in 2023 though.

Yorkies were absolutely rank as well.

Agree. Except I love Yorkies.

I’d love to go forward 40 years to listen to what today’s youth are weaponising as outrage on social media channels. No doubt it will be a similar minority hijacking a debate while the majority stand on the sidelines asking, “hey, who’s getting hurt by all this?”

That last line should invite a debate on the rights of women or something similar. It’s a highly nuanced world we live in. Nothing is ever black and white.

What I would say is that the level of discussion on this board is much more reasonable that other football chat rooms.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The red flags are in your posts.

I am in neither 'stage', I am asking the question about its existence and am yet to make a conclusion. I would also add here that your take is a huge oversimplification of my question and current position (another red flag). I can't be arsed to restate it as my questions are pretty clearly written over this thread. Happy to confirm if you require though.

I did ask for your best example and you have not provided me with one at all. Your post was basically one of those 'do your own research' posts that provides no evidence or examples of what you are talking about (one of the red flags I mentioned).

I am totally posting in good faith as I am still waiting for my requested example. It is clear that I am not going to get it from you though so I am happy to finish there.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Ha you mentioned outrage

Gotcha!! 🤣🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here