Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Its not easy with the budget to do this job'

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I suggest that you read the comment in context. He is discussing the fact he is normally just a coach and others deal with finance and transfers. It is nothing like Poyet's constant moans about the lack of a massive budget for him to spunk.

I can see no indication of Oscar being unhappy at the size of his budget.

Yes of course the quote has been taken out of context but so were many of GP's. It's very amusing that there is a group of people ready to interpret every Poyet quote in a negative way and every Oscar quote in a positive way.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Gus didn't like the transfer window either, hardly any manager does.

All managers play down the budget.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
So? it was clearly a ploy to downplay expectations.

You don't go into a transfer window declaring "We are so RICH". Teams will automatically double the price of their players once approached and fans expectations would go through the roof.

I still can't understand how some people don't get this.

You want to sell a player and you value him at £1m. West Brom come in. You will accept £1m. Man Utd come in? You ask for £2m based on their financial ability.

It's just common sense. I don't CARE that fans got annoyed by it. I don't care what his interviews said. I only cared about the team on the pitch before my eyes and, on the whole, Gus got a VERY good team together for a reasonable price. All fine by me.

Exactly this. Especially the last bit, which is more or less fact.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
To be clear, I think most people know Oscar isn't moaning about the budgets.

The inference is that Gus, making EXACTLY the same words, would have been received differently.

Either way, it's not really much of an issue as it's all downplaying budget/expectations/likelyhood of signings which is pretty standard.

Fingers crossed we can maybe get a loan striker in to help the shortfall.
Missing Gus are we?
Poyet was always moaning about budgets and his 'ceiling' outburst after his ill-prepared side rolled over in the playoff semi final, at home, to our fiercest rivals was his crowning glory of cheapshots at the club.
The point is that Poyet used EVERY opportunity to whine about what was one of the highest budgets in the division-certainly top 10, if not higher. If he had turned up for the playoff semi final and got the team prepared properly we probably wouldn't be having these discussions now.
Keep defending him though, despite the fact that in the end, he was found wanting and the club lost out on a huge payday.

The man now in charge appears to have way more class than Poyet and doesn't appear to be continually marketing himself for a more glamorous job.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If Gus had said this, NSC meltdown.........

Christ on a bike, let it go. This is sooooo boring now.

You, Westedene Wonder, Glasfryn.... all the others who want Gus canonised really need to get over it. He's gone, not coming back. Adieu. Farewell. Move on, the rest of us have.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The inference is that Gus, making EXACTLY the same words, would have been received differently.

No, Gus regularly mentioned that other clubs in the division had much larger budget and were difficult to compete against on and off the pitch, it wasn't a figment of my imagination.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Seen now.

Just looks like he is slightly complaining about additional duties he has. He wants NO input with transfers by the looks of things.

I don't think he is saying that. I think he is just saying he has not done it before.

And if it were to be or become a problem, it is something that could be dealt with, presumably. If he proves himself as our coach, which I don't think there is much doubt that he will, it would be worth finding other ways of dealing with that side of his duties or supporting him in it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Keep defending him though, despite the fact that in the end, he was found wanting

I agree. I did enjoy the lower end of League One.

Clearly we won't agree on the "moaning about budgets" topic. It never bothered me as it didn't effect our progress as a team. I think the only time Gus said anything in an interview which irked me was the Suarez thing and even then I thought it was just misjudged rather than horrendous.

I suppose I've always had the viewpoint that a manager is hired because the chairman feels they can progress the football club. The manager is, nowadays, seemingly expected to be a pr guru. To me, I couldn't really care what a manager says in an interview. Maybe I'm alone in that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Christ on a bike, let it go. This is sooooo boring now.

You, Westedene Wonder, Glasfryn.... all the others who want Gus canonised really need to get over it. He's gone, not coming back. Adieu. Farewell. Move on, the rest of us have.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be recognised as a bloody superb manager. He's recent history, so it's all relevant. And it's true, "fans" on here would be calling Gus every single name under the sun if he'd said that.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Oscar is not complaining about anything. He is saying when in other countries people managed the budget for him and brought players and sorted it all out he just trained the players. He is saying this is new for him to have such control and therefore he is learning something new

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I agree. I did enjoy the lower end of League One.

Clearly we won't agree on the "moaning about budgets" topic. It never bothered me as it didn't effect our progress as a team. I think the only time Gus said anything in an interview which irked me was the Suarez thing and even then I thought it was just misjudged rather than horrendous.

I suppose I've always had the viewpoint that a manager is hired because the chairman feels they can progress the football club. The manager is, nowadays, seemingly expected to be a pr guru. To me, I couldn't really care what a manager says in an interview. Maybe I'm alone in that.

And to prove you're not alone ..... THIS. I really couldn't give a monkeys arse what the manager says in interviews just as long as the team progresses. The team progressed significantly under Gus. Hopefully it will under Oscar.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No, Gus regularly mentioned that other clubs in the division had much larger budget and were difficult to compete against on and off the pitch, it wasn't a figment of my imagination.

I don't disagree with you in any way. That wasn't the point I was making. I think you've misundestood me.

What I was saying was that IF Gus had said those EXACT words that Oscar just has(hypothetically), then they would have been taken differently.

Again, it's really just a hypothetical musing rather than comparing what Oscar and what Gus has said on budgets.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Doesn't mean he shouldn't be recognised as a bloody superb manager. He's recent history, so it's all relevant. And it's true, "fans" on here would be calling Gus every single name under the sun if he'd said that.

He was a good manager and developed us to our current level. He had his limitations which he will learn in time to change if he wants to get right to the top. You are misreading the quote and therefore i don't think we would complain if Gus said that as all Oscar is saying he has never managed a budget before as it was all done for him. Nothing article really yet it becomes a circus on here.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I don't disagree with you in any way. That wasn't the point I was making. I think you've misundestood me.

What I was saying was that IF Gus had said those EXACT words that Oscar just has(hypothetically), then they would have been taken differently.

Again, it's really just a hypothetical musing rather than comparing what Oscar and what Gus has said on budgets.

Only because Gus moaned about it week in, week out. It's as simple as that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here