Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's never his fault...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"There are players who need the famous 'confidence' word for them to be better and when the stadium is not happy, the players don't express themselves and that makes kick and rush very easy"?

Yep. He's saying it's not the players' fault, it's the fans.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
That photo is ripe for a caption competition type thing.

Poyet (in the voice of Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth in Schindler's List): It's ****ing freezing!
Tanno: It's ****ing Sunderland boss.
Poyet: Who's idea was it to leave the South?
Tanno: Yours boss.
Poyet: Who's that bloke sitting behind us?
Tanno: Buckley.
Poyet: Who?
Tanno: William Buckley

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"I think the fans want Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips back but they are not playing anymore," the 47-year-old said.

Obviously not. But the highest Sunderland finished with those two was 7th. So is Gus really seems to be suggesting that it is unrealistic for the fans to want to be in and around 7th spot?

Sunderland don't seem to be kicking on from last season's 14th place and a Wembley final.. This is an important window for Gus.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Yep. He's saying it's not the players' fault, it's the fans.

Isn't he just stating what most on here have claimed - that when the fans create an atmosphere the team play better - maybe you don't subscribe to the theory that fan behaviour can influence players in which case fair enough.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Perhaps they'd hoped that GP would have helped their side claw their way up the league; maybe with the judicious use of pincer movements in midfield? Still, GP should have a hard enough shell to deflect any criticism these days.

Perhaps Poyet wants the strikers to go deeper and be a bit more shellfish?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hughton is only the fourth manager appointed by TB.
First he appointed GP, an eager ex pro with very limited experience who talked a good game. Good appointment.
Then OG. Some pedigree as a coach plus success for a season in Israel. Again an appointment outside of the usual pool, and reasonably successful.
Third up, SH. Eager ex pro limited experience, mixed results in an appointment to a top league, talked a good game. Bad appointment, but given his success appointing managers previously you can see why he was still making what could be termed "unconventional" appointments. Hughton probably had the disadvantage at that time of being a staid conventional appointment, TB still felt like having another shot at managing to appoint a successful maverick.
Lesson learned, and at £200m capital investment plus £10m pa I am more than prepared to forgive him the odd failed punt in his career as an owner.

Fair comment, but doesn't it worry you just a tad that Bloom didn't want to accept Hyypia's resignation whilst Barber was trying to mug us off with comments about how we could have won every game this season under Hyypia?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's the end game for Gus.

2 home league losses against Burnley and QPR, and it won't look good for him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hughton is only the fourth manager appointed by TB.
First he appointed GP, an eager ex pro with very limited experience who talked a good game. Good appointment.
Then OG. Some pedigree as a coach plus success for a season in Israel. Again an appointment outside of the usual pool, and reasonably successful.
Third up, SH. Eager ex pro limited experience, mixed results in an appointment to a top league, talked a good game. Bad appointment, but given his success appointing managers previously you can see why he was still making what could be termed "unconventional" appointments. Hughton probably had the disadvantage at that time of being a staid conventional appointment, TB still felt like having another shot at managing to appoint a successful maverick.
Lesson learned, and at £200m capital investment plus £10m pa I am more than prepared to forgive him the odd failed punt in his career as an owner.

Agree with all that but would also add that, I suspect, Hyypia was cheaper than the experienced CH. Nothing wrong with that, TB had two good appointments behind him so why not follow the same formula. Alas it didn't work.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The best Brighton manager of modern times, get over it people. He was brilliant, he's gone, and he ain't coming back.

Well they may have a point. It went badly when tried in the States.

Attachments

• Winston-giant-crab.png
    Winston-giant-crab.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 60

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Agree with all that but would also add that, I suspect, Hyypia was cheaper than the experienced CH. Nothing wrong with that, TB had two good appointments behind him so why not follow the same formula. Alas it didn't work.

I can't find anything on what sort of wages managers get in the championship, but if its like the prem where top managers are broadly in line with top players, middling with middling etc, I still wouldnt have thought the differences would be enough to have a major bearing on the decision. Though yes Hyppia should have been cheaper. Perhaps Hughtons demands were out of range all those months ago before he had a chance to look at all the other ex managers floating around the periphery of the game telling themselves there's a big job coming with their name on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here