Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It’s amazing how well results have gone our way

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Looking at their fixtures, I really can't see how Villa are going to get the seven points they need to overhal us - even if we don't pick up a single point from now until the end of the season.

el punal

It might change, particularly in the final run of games

I commented in an earlier post about about false optimism, in other words see how it all pans out after three or four of these “restart” fixtures. So far, so good. To pick up four points after two games is encouraging particularly as those in the bottom five have failed to register a win at all.

Realistically, I think Norwich are down - the gap is too great for them to overcome. Villa’s defeat to Wolves today must have been a hammer blow. That’s just two points from four games since the break, I would imagine their confidence is draining away because of that. Bournemouth are another team that also have not adjusted well, Eddie Howe looked absolutely spent after they lost to Wolves - has his magic touch gone?

So then you have West Ham and Watford. West Ham are definitely struggling, and that was a bad home defeat to Wolves (them again!) and I don’t think Moyes is the one that can lift them. The final game against Villa is going to be crucial. Watford will probably be ballsy enough to scrape enough points to escape the drop, not bad considering how they were red hot favourites for relegation for most of the season.

Which leaves us. Personally I was dreading this restart. I felt that the 2019/20 season would be cancelled and we would have our get out of jail card. Two highly competent performances against Arsenal and Leicester have boosted my Albion mojo considerably. If we can get something out of our next two matches then I think we will be able to breathe more easily. We certainly have a nice cushion of six points, let’s hope that we don’t have to rely on that in the coming weeks.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I commented in an earlier post about about false optimism, in other words see how it all pans out after three or four of these “restart” fixtures. So far, so good. To pick up four points after two games is encouraging particularly as those in the bottom five have failed to register a win at all.

Realistically, I think Norwich are down - the gap is too great for them to overcome. Villa’s defeat to Wolves today must have been a hammer blow. That’s just two points from four games since the break, I would imagine their confidence is draining away because of that. Bournemouth are another team that also have not adjusted well, Eddie Howe looked absolutely spent after they lost to Wolves - has his magic touch gone?

So then you have West Ham and Watford. West Ham are definitely struggling, and that was a bad home defeat to Wolves (them again!) and I don’t think Moyes is the one that can lift them. The final game against Villa is going to be crucial. Watford will probably be ballsy enough to scrape enough points to escape the drop, not bad considering how they were red hot favourites for relegation for most of the season.

Which leaves us. Personally I was dreading this restart. I felt that the 2019/20 season would be cancelled and we would have our get out of jail card. Two highly competent performances against Arsenal and Leicester have boosted my Albion mojo considerably. If we can get something out of our next two matches then I think we will be able to breathe more easily. We certainly have a nice cushion of six points, let’s hope that we don’t have to rely on that in the coming weeks.

Just mentioning all those teams is why I'm a bit more confident than I was pre-Covid. There are five teams below us and realistically, three of them now have to go on good runs to put us in the relegation zone. I can see one of them perhaps going on a season saving run but not three of them. Villa look spent and Bournemouth look found out.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Realistically I can't see Norwich or Villa getting above 33 points, to do so with the remaining games would be a huge change in fortune - so I don't see them catching us.

The way Bournemouth have restarted, and with the games they have they look like they will struggle. If they beat Newcastle, they may get to 33/34 points, it would take a huge rise in performance to do better than that. So we may already have enough points! It can't really work out like that can it?

I can see West Ham getting more points than the bottom 3, maybe finish on 36 or so, and Watford edging towards 40 if they keep the form going.

We just need to keep going and I think we may need 1 win at most, but maybe another 6 points (or even more) could come our way?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This exactly

We wouldn't be banging on about it at all if we hadn't BEATEN ARSENAL!

Yeah, and if my granny had balls she'd be my granddad. We might have been talking about safety already if Maupay had put away that penalty

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is striking how these teams have come out of COVID.

Agruably the Albion were one of the six teams with anything to play for.
Weeks of frustration.
Weeks of pent up aggression.
Weeks of stewing over dropped points.

Yet we're the only team showing that.

The likes of palace, Burnley, Everton, Newcastle had nothing, Sheffield were never going to keep the momentum going.

For the other 5 teams to not get their poop together is embarrassing.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The key game for me is Norwich away next week. A match we should win. Three points there, and we're almost safe. Maybe need another point? Presuming we lose against United, Liverpool and City - we would surely pick up at least one from Newcastle, Stains and Burnley

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
The key game for me is Norwich away next week. A match we should win. Three points there, and we're almost safe. Maybe need another point? Presuming we lose against United, Liverpool and City - we would surely pick up at least one from Newcastle, Stains and Burnley
Didn't we need a win in our last 3 Championship games to win the title. Hmmm that went well :lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Didn't we need a win in our last 3 Championship games to win the title. Hmmm that went well :lolol:

Glass half empty, man! In 1981, we needed to win our last four games to stay up. And we did.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here