Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's all the fault of social workers, healthcare professionals and teachers

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Who is to blame? The gangs of Pakistani-heritage men who systematically groomed and abused these children seems like the place to start.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
A lot of people who work in the public sector will know that reporting malpractice, cheating, bullying, or anything of such a nature is frowned upon by senior management, who are just interested int achieving KPI's, bonus targets, and head count reductions. You will be asked to reconsider, asked to look at the big picture, asked are you absolutely certain that you want to put in writing what you have communicated verbally.

It will be made very clear by management, HR, and the person carrying out your next assessment that it is not in your best interests to go public, and that a payoffs are available if you go quietly and sign a confidentiality agreement. Big Brother is already here sadly, and Room 101 has taken on a less violent, but just as effective form, as Orwell's prophetic masterpiece.

In the meantime the demonisation of minorities, the impoverished and the less intelligent will ensure the focus is taken away from the huge derelictions of duty by those in positions of power, as the pound in their pockets, turns into a hundred thousand lobbyist dollars.

I don't doubt the veracity of what you write for one moment. Sadly, it is a part of human nature to want to cover your tracks and doubtless many ways of doing this, as you mention, are employed to keep you quiet. No one likes a whistle-blower who exposes cosy or downright irresponsible work practices, used by many folk over a long period of time, even if those practices do result in suffering by others. Sadly, I have no faith when I hear about the introduction of robust policies to protect a whistle-blower - life does not work like that when so many folk in positions of relative responsibility have so much to lose from the publicity generated by the ensuing revelations.
I do feel that you rather over-state your case with the last para - what has demonising minorities and the impoverished got to do with it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't doubt the veracity of what you write for one moment. Sadly, it is a part of human nature to want to cover your tracks and doubtless many ways of doing this, as you mention, are employed to keep you quiet. No one likes a whistle-blower who exposes cosy or downright irresponsible work practices, used by many folk over a long period of time, even if those practices do result in suffering by others. Sadly, I have no faith when I hear about the introduction of robust policies to protect a whistle-blower - life does not work like that when so many folk in positions of relative responsibility have so much to lose from the publicity generated by the ensuing revelations.
I do feel that you rather over-state your case with the last para - what has demonising minorities and the impoverished got to do with it?

Fair comment.

My view is that this and similar stories will be headlines for 24 hours at most before the media focus on the aforementioned.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Who is to blame? The gangs of Pakistani-heritage men who systematically groomed and abused these children seems like the place to start.

Fascinating watching the news today how more often than not, they avoid any mention that the perpetrators were of Asian origin and the victims white girls. Just say "gangs of men" and "vulnerable girls" which avoids the politically inconvenient part.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Fascinating watching the news today how more often than not, they avoid any mention that the perpetrators were of Asian origin and the victims white girls. Just say "gangs of men" and "vulnerable girls" which avoids the politically inconvenient part.

exactly this
they right on my ****

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
A lot of people who work in the public sector will know that reporting malpractice, cheating, bullying, or anything of such a nature is frowned upon by senior management, who are just interested int achieving KPI's, bonus targets, and head count reductions. You will be asked to reconsider, asked to look at the big picture, asked are you absolutely certain that you want to put in writing what you have communicated verbally.

It will be made very clear by management, HR, and the person carrying out your next assessment that it is not in your best interests to go public, and that a payoffs are available if you go quietly and sign a confidentiality agreement. Big Brother is already here sadly, and Room 101 has taken on a less violent, but just as effective form, as Orwell's prophetic masterpiece.

In the meantime the demonisation of minorities, the impoverished and the less intelligent will ensure the focus is taken away from the huge derelictions of duty by those in positions of power, as the pound in their pockets, turns into a hundred thousand lobbyist dollars.

Thats a part of the public sector problem, the lack of trasparency.

If at a match I had called out all muslims should be baned from the Amex, there would be demads to idetify me, have me baned prosecuted etc etc. But when someone in the public sector does something, say bans hot cross buns. They dont get named etc.

Although I dislike Social workers I have to simpathise with them here, they are middlemen being scapegoated. Blame lies with the perpatraitors and the laws failure to deal with them, the police and their paymasters Labour and Tory Goverments.

From what I hear its still going on in Rotherham.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Yvette Cooper said Cameron's plan does not go far enough and stronger laws are needed to protect children.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Genuine question as not following this much - are all the gangs identified so far Asian?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yvette Cooper said Cameron's plan does not go far enough and stronger laws are needed to protect children.

Existing laws are adequate. It's finding people who are prepared to apply them and who will be backed by management who are the problem

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Would any of this have happened in Germany?

It did in the final year of the WW2, millions of German women and girls were systematically raped and sexually abused by the Russians.

In the aftermath of the fight for Berlin, Stalin gave the soldiers 48 hours "freedom" to take in the victory.

Of course Oxford, Rotherham, Rochdale etc are not directly comparable to this episode, however whilst the organs of the German state were unable to defend their most vulnerable people so in the UK today we see systemic dereliction of duty by professionals to do their job.

It seems odd to me that at a time when people who run businesses are criminally liable for the safety of their staff the same logic does not apply to senior staff in the public sector.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It did in the final year of the WW2, millions of German women and girls were systematically raped and sexually abused by the Russians.

In the aftermath of the fight for Berlin, Stalin gave the soldiers 48 hours "freedom" to take in the victory.

Of course Oxford, Rotherham, Rochdale etc are not directly comparable to this episode, however whilst the organs of the German state were unable to defend their most vulnerable people so in the UK today we see systemic dereliction of duty by professionals to do their job.

It seems odd to me that at a time when people who run businesses are criminally liable for the safety of their staff the same logic does not apply to senior staff in the public sector.

I think we are in agreement CF.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I agree with putting an obligation on a legal footing to report suspicions of sexual exploitation but the hierarchical systems of Local Authorities etc must be addressed. It seems that various reports and passing information upwards to line managers seems to result in nothing being done. I think some empowerment needs to take place so that front line workers, who are the ones most likely to have suspicions, can make a report directly and have that report acknowledged rather than just reporting it upwards and never hearing anything. I believe that putting this right involves cultural change within our society as well as education, training and a change in the law.

If people working in the finance industry can face prison for failing to report a suspicion of money laundering, why not have a similar law for suspicions of child abuse?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here