It's all over for Labour & Mr Brown

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Interesting card of Mandelson to play stating that the underdog can come back.....People do like to vote for the underdog, but its a desperate statement to drag out...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh dear, If The Stun's monosylabic white van man readership is told to vote Tory they will. Bye Gordon:shootself

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So the Sun's message is:

'Vote Cameron - yes, he's a c**t too, and a toff to boot, but we could all do with a change.'

It's hardly a ringing endorsement, is it?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Because every election the Sun waits until it's blatantly obvious who's gonna win and sides with them, and then claims some credit for the victory.

Apart from 1992, when polls suggested a Labour victory or a hung parliament, and the Sun was strongly anti-Labour.

But yes, in 1997, there was already a huge shift in support of its readers towards Labour before it ditched its support for the Tories and gave it to Blair.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't tend to vote in Elections where my vote won't matter a jot.

Although you could say "well if everyone felt like that...", the reality is that they don't.

When I lived in a Tory strong hold there wasn't much point in voting for anybody else than them, and the same goes for the Labour strong holds I've lived in to.

That's far from being apathetic. Quite the opposite, I'd actively vote for a party who wants to change the system - if I felt that the vote for that party would make any difference at all under the current one.

It really is time to change the system, then the newspapers can start debating policies rather than which one of the two parties they are going to back.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I don't tend to vote in Elections where my vote won't matter a jot.

Although you could say "well if everyone felt like that...", the reality is that they don't.

When I lived in a Tory strong hold there wasn't much point in voting for anybody else than them, and the same goes for the Labour strong holds I've lived in to.

That's far from being apathetic. Quite the opposite, I'd actively vote for a party who wants to change the system - if I felt that the vote for that party would make any difference at all under the current one.

It really is time to change the system, then the newspapers can start debating policies rather than which one of the two parties they are going to back.

it's not about winning, it's about voting for who reflects your views. whether it be respect or bnp.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
it's not about winning, it's about voting for who reflects your views. whether it be respect or bnp.

But unless the party you vote for wins your seat (or has a chance in hell of winning it), your vote may as well go in the bin.

I was trying to explain this to a foreign colleague who didn't believe it was possible for a party to get the most votes in this country and lose the election.

I've always thought it was ridiculous.

People can argue till they are blue in the face with me about the likelihood of the BNP winning a seat or directionless coalition governments.

I would have thought it may possibly be worth a go having some people in power that reflect the views of the population, rather than just often a minority of them.

Last edited:

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
But unless the party you vote for wins your seat (or has a chance in hell of winning it), your vote may as well go in the bin.

I was trying to explain this to a foreign colleague who didn't believe it was possible for a party to get the most votes in this country and lose the election.

i understand and the defeatism/apathetic behaviour just makes me feel sad. so many people don't trust the current 3 main parties yet the media won't give any proper coverage to other parties and I imagine there are many people that would vote for other parties if they felt it wasn't wasted. it just feels rotten IMO.

So the Sun's message is:

'Vote Cameron - yes, he's a c**t too, and a toff to boot, but we could all do with a change.'

It's hardly a ringing endorsement, is it?

Worked for Fettes educated Blair in 1997, didn't it?

Just what is it with this class envy and toff references? Do you genuinely believe that all are equally able to lead this country except those whose parents had the opportunity to send them to Eton?

Sorry, that should have read except for those TORIES whose parents had the opportunity etc etc etc. Strange really. You don't hear the same thing about born into nobility, Harriet Harman from you lot. I wonder why.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon the pollsters may well get their fingers burnt here.

There's a million Labour voters who felt strongly enough to withhold their vote at the last election on account of B.Liar's support for the illegal and immoral invasion of Iraq. These voters will be back in force this time. On the day, it just needs White Van Man not to be arsed to go out and vote and the good guys might just nick one more win.

:goal:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
please elborate dude. if you would.

Labour won more votes in 1951 and lost the election. They raked up massive majorities in northern constituencies yet only won one seat in each of those constituencies. The Tories won more seats in total.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports