Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Its a hard life Oscar.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
And yet from out wide SD single handedly beat far and away the best team in the division, Leicester.

In yet another really really boring game that had me wishing I didn't have a season ticket, vowing I'd never come back, wishing Oscar would leave so I could slag him off ... 5 months later.

It'll be tempting to go back to NSC that weekend and read up on all those people slagging Oscar off.

I'm in no way (or was for that matter), an Oscarslaggeroffer. There were however, times when March was available and Conway could have been signed in January rather than leaving Dave out on the right.

You're correct, he certainly did the damage to Leicester with two of the best passes I've seen at the Amex but equal credit must go to Barnes and Conway for having the positioning sense and control respectively to best utilise those crosses?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Hornets fans who look at social media sites might see comments from Brighton fans which do not portray Garcia's reign in a particularly good light.

Wish I could get paid to be a journalist; go on NSC read a few posts then write an 'article'.

In fact, that blogge....sorry, journalist is probably reading this right now :wave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well you won't find any such posts from me. I've never slagged him off. The revisionist bit is the article suggesting the team was shit and he somehow worked wonders, with players filling in all over the place.

I'm in no way (or was for that matter), an Oscarslaggeroffer. There were however, times when March was available and Conway could have been signed in January rather than leaving Dave out on the right.

You're correct, he certainly did the damage to Leicester with two of the best passes I've seen at the Amex but equal credit must go to Barnes and Conway for having the positioning sense and control respectively to best utilise those crosses?
I wasn't singling you two out as slaggerofferers, it seems easily to corral the the few people who aren't rewriting history and let the revisionists run free.

Clearly SD isn't a great example as it was a shocking second season, but seeing SD name, along with right side while all the other '1-0 boring football' s**t is swirling about was to big an open goal for me to not say 'hang on a minute'.

Had alot more respect for garcia than poyet he did the best job steering the ship even if the engine was under capacity for the good ship amex,He was a more dignified captain than poyet.
Garcia waited for the iceberg to hit before taking to the lifeboats unlike poyet who was found climbing into them ever-time an ice cube clinked the glass on the captains table.

Good luck Oscar and watch those rocks Gus!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Watford have been playing fast, direct, attacking football for a few seasons now.

They're going to hate Garcia after a few months,

The only reason they'd hate Garcia is if he didn't get them to a play off place. And I reckon he probably will. However, if this site is anything to go by, there will a few deluded revisionist clowns who approximately 5 months after he's left.will decide he was shit and boring despite any success he might have had.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Even at the death at Forest, needing a goal to get into the play offs, injury time and all that..........still only Ulloa in the box when CMS popped that cross in. Thank god it was accurate!

Fast forward to the Charlton game, just an early season league game.

Sami had the whole team including the keeper in the box when we needed a goal.

Hmmm... good point... well debated!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I really can't believe some of what I read on here about OG to be honest. Such a re-writing of history.

I don't really know if you mean the good stuff or the bad stuff. I've seen both pro and anti OG posts, but nothing I would say was revisionist.

It was the same last season - some people liked him and some people didn't. In case you're thinking why are people slagging him off when last year everyone thought he was great, that's simply not the case.

Yes, he did well getting us into the play-offs with the injuries etc but my God wasn't it BORING? He was terrified of taking any risks. The man also had the charisma of a wooden plank and failed to attract any decent signings to the club. He persisted with the hapless Andrews in midfield and thought Rodriguez and Obika were good enough to play for the first team. Personally, I was pleased when he left - and I'm certainly not the only one. In what way is this "rewriting history"?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The only reason they'd hate Garcia is if he didn't get them to a play off place. And I reckon he probably will. However, if this site is anything to go by, there will a few deluded revisionist clowns who approximately 5 months after he's left.will decide he was shit and boring despite any success he might have had.

People who were AT most games probably have their views based on results AND entertainment, whereas ones who didn't attend all that many, would have been solely focused on the results (which I agree were absolutely as good as possible).

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I think this is an inspired appointment, he inherits an attacking team with their heads up and one of his old soldiers in Andrews already in place. This could be the Championship managerial coup of the season (after Sammi of course). I could be way off here but I think he did a good job for us and he has a season in this league under his belt. As the local Watford rag writer says, he just wasn't Poyet and Gus was a frankly huge act to follow, both in achievemant / expectation and all round "lookatmeness" / media showmanship. Good luck to him I say, so long as it's not at our expense.

I did love TB's coy response to the BBC Sussex interview I just heard today when asked for an opinion on the appointment, very very guarded.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
<shameless plug> Well I publicly documented my feelings regarding Oscar throughout the season in a blog with posts later augmented in to the book you can buy by clicking on that link down there. </shameless plug>

That makes being revisionist difficult and impractical for me. As I read through the posts I was struck by how difficult it was to make my mind up about the guy. He did supremely well guiding us through the injury ravaged first half of the season but then never kicked on or showed us why he was 'obsessed with attacking football'. Some of the displays later on - Ipswich and Middlesboro stick long in the memory - were appalling.

At the end of the Yeovil home game, when he came out with that quote about being the only team weaker after the January window, i wrote "I worry he might go the same way as Poyet. I worry I won't care as much as I did when Poyet left". I don't speak for everyone but I suspect there are quite a lot of Brighton fans who not only felt that at the time, but still do now.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The football was dull but I think that was down to the injuries and the types of players we had rather than his complete abandonment of his "attack, attack, attack" football. If I want a cup of coffee and all I have is a banana I can't make a cup of coffee. Doesn't mean I don't like coffee any longer.

I think he's going to do well at Watford.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Let's face it, with the players available to him at Watford allied to the Pozzo's ability to bring in players from Udinese and Granada pretty much whenever they want, he will have no excuse for not succeeding.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm starting to get a bit annoyed at being referred to as a "revisionist" form seemingly not thinking that last season was any fun.

Oscar did ok with a good squad but if he'd stayed, another season of football like that would have seriously brought into question my will to keep going week-in-week out (I'd already renewed before he resigned before people use that as a stick to beat me with...). We were staggeringly dull to watch.

In 38 games last season we scored 1 goal or less. To use the Leicester games to point to those complaining about us being dull or Spanish Dave having a rubbish season is frankly ridiculous and only serves to remind me of what the squad was actually capable of, rather than what was regularly delivered.

The playoffs was a good achievement, and Oscar deserves credit for that, but do not try and convince me that it was a fun ride getting there (until Forest).

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm starting to get a bit annoyed at being referred to as a "revisionist" form seemingly not thinking that last season was any fun.

Oscar did ok with a good squad but if he'd stayed, another season of football like that would have seriously brought into question my will to keep going week-in-week out (I'd already renewed before he resigned before people use that as a stick to beat me with...). We were staggeringly dull to watch.

In 38 games last season we scored 1 goal or less. To use the Leicester games to point to those complaining about us being dull or Spanish Dave having a rubbish season is frankly ridiculous and only serves to remind me of what the squad was actually capable of, rather than what was regularly delivered.

The playoffs was a good achievement, and Oscar deserves credit for that, but do not try and convince me that it was a fun ride getting there (until Forest).
This with bells on it. He did a decent job under difficult circumstances but personally his tactics bored me to tears & I know we scored in the last minute but even against Forest when we needed to go out and really grab the game by the scruff of the neck we were very negative until we went a goal down. It's not rewriting history to say the football was dull at best, I liked Oscar, he's a bizzare man and a bit boring but he's a decent bloke and someone who I hope does well.

Even if we don't make the top 6 this year - i feel much more excitement about games now, and I doubt there will be many matches where I genuinely get bored as I did during Oscars tenure.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

I totally agree. I wasn't enjoying going to games, which was crazy giving we were doing quite well. I'm so much more enthused about going to games now under Sami, even if the results turn out to be poorer.

All I would say though is just because the football was dull last season, doesn't mean it will be for Watford. I think he will be able to be a lot more exciting with the players he will have at Watford. It would have been interesting to see what he did with our squad this season, it would probably have been better but hey ho we have Sami now and I'm really enjoying the way Sami wants us to play.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I totally agree. I wasn't enjoying going to games, which was crazy giving we were doing quite well. I'm so much more enthused about going to games now under Sami, even if the results turn out to be poorer.

All I would say though is just because the football was dull last season, doesn't mean it will be for Watford. I think he will be able to be a lot more exciting with the players he will have at Watford. It would have been interesting to see what he did with our squad this season, it would probably have been better but hey ho we have Sami now and I'm really enjoying the way Sami wants us to play.
Very little to argue against there.

It does make me wonder how Sami would be viewed if he left the club next Summer, it is traditional after all, having finished 13th.
From January to May this board wasn't full up with comments along the lines of 'this is so boring, I wish I didn't go', and yet in hindsight it is now.

I can see the possibility of Oscar's over achieving 6th place being a bit of a millstone around Sami's neck come Feb/March next year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very little to argue against there.

It does make me wonder how Sami would be viewed if he left the club next Summer, it is traditional after all, having finished 13th.
From January to May this board wasn't full up with comments along the lines of 'this is so boring, I wish I didn't go', and yet in hindsight it is now.

I can see the possibility of Oscar's over achieving 6th place being a bit of a millstone around Sami's neck come Feb/March next year.

Oh yes it was. From end of March after the Boro debacle

That's when I believed Oscar has really lost the plot or is he trying to get himself sacked , worse decision since I have been at the Amex

Was Ince injured? Was Buckley injured??

Taking them off if they were, is obviously the right thing to do. Replacing Buckley with JFC baffles me though, we had two wingers on the bench. AND Lopez was actually playing okay through the middle. He created very little when shoved out wide. He is not a winger.

In the course of that game we passed back more than Michael Bailiey's Purple Army in the defensive early eighties and that was when you were allowed to pick it up from a back pass. We passed back to a keeper well known for being shit at distribution. Was Gordon Greer spending large portions of the second half asleep down to our authority in midfield? How about the Puncheon-easque penalty? How about everyone looking at the bench and going "how do we take a free kick boss"?

That from ONE page of ONE thread.

Here's the well read and received match report I posted following the same game.

https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/middlesboro-at-home-omnishambles/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here