Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] It's a good day...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BA flight from San Diego seems to have abandoned the idea of landing at LHR after two failed attempts and is heading NE now.

Imagine having a 10-hour overnight flight back from the US and ending up in East Midlands or Leeds Bradford or similar.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nothing could match the drama of that real big storm a while back...watching Jumbo's land at 30 degrees to the runway was madness.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Just tuned in to see one plane abort a landing.

Hope his commentary always remains funny patter to difficult landings and doesn't morph into something, er, horrific!

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
watch the UNited 767 at 1345... gets to about 10 feet off the ground before aborting and going around

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When I was at BA I worked in hangar 6, during lunch when it was windy we would go and watch the aircraft land from the comfort of a van, we could get close to the maintenance taxiway which runs adjacent to the runway.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If I was on a plane coming into land and the pilot came on and said we were aborting I'd be a tad nervy
Unlikely, even with two up-front.
Pilot mantra is: aviate, navigate, communicate in that order of priority.
Non flying pilot would have only told ATC "missed approach"
Airfield control tower would then hand them back to West Drayton [LTCC] for some directions to a safe holding pattern or a new destination, depending on next 30 mins of weather prediction. Try again or go somewhere else - the try again option reduces options for a later divert.

It's weather like this that shows an ATPL pilot who's worth his/her stripes ....
Passengers will have seen the ground get close, hear the roar of the engines thrusting-up and the ground disappear - they will have worked it out for themselves.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I was on a Monday morning commute to Edinburgh, when the landing was aborted in fine weather. It wasn't until we had climbed away that the pilot told us there was a plane on the runway. Not really a problem - we just circled round and came in again.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Used to fly into Gibraltar a lot and were occasionally diverted to Málaga due to side winds. On several occasions the pilot circled the Rock a couple of times, hoping the wind would ease, before giving up and heading off to Málaga. On one flight the pilot actually attempted to land twice, aborting close to the runway both times. People were crying. Not a pleasant experience😬

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Used to fly into Gibraltar a lot and were occasionally diverted to Málaga due to side winds. On several occasions the pilot circled the Rock a couple of times, hoping the wind would ease, before giving up and heading off to Málaga. On one flight the pilot actually attempted to land twice, aborting close to the runway both times. People were crying. Not a pleasant experience😬
Had similar in Gib, and also in Jersey…….worst aborted landing though psychologically was on my first trip back to New York after 9/11 (was there when it happened). I was a bit anxious anyway, but when we were almost down there was a big engine roar and we pulled up very sharply I’m sure I almost soiled myself. Turns out it was a minor problem with the landing gear.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Had similar in Gib, and also in Jersey…….worst aborted landing though psychologically was on my first trip back to New York after 9/11 (was there when it happened). I was a bit anxious anyway, but when we were almost down and then there was a big engine roar and we pulled up very sharply I’m sure I almost soiled myself. Turns out it was a minor problem with the landing gear.
Is it possible to have a minor problem with the landing gear?
I feel like that's the sort of thing that either doesn't have a problem, or has a serious problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here