Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITIL, Anybody here have it at work ?

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
I have no idea what this thread is about, but it seems suitably geeky and IT-techy so I will be subscribing to learn more.

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
Yep fully trained up in V2 and V3. I like elements of it. It's scaleable and puts names on things! Helped us sort out a few messy processes, gets everyone singing from same hyme sheet, made people responsible for certain things etc.

However all the IT team need to be trained up on it IMHO to foundation level, so will cost a few quid. The further qualifications are pricey and hard work. So its a real investiment from all.

One last thing... It's not gospel, just a framework, so pick and choose what is relevant to your business, target problem areas first. Big wins by implementing small changes here and there.

??????

Wow... This is a bit serious for me on here.... Erm... Wasn't Harley's Peno crap... And shouldn't Hoskins and Vicente start on Monday! :albion2:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
We do ridiculous thing at work in the.name of ITIL and ofren wonder If the people who come up with some of the processo have actually worked in a NOC environment with real (angry) customers on the phone

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
My problem with ITIL is twofold. Firstly it works for as long as people want it to, come something not quite standard and it falls apart. Typcally here a call is logged and passed on when required to whichever team deals with the issue however so often when somebody wants something done urgently (usually caused by a lack of foresight on their part) the oredr of the day is drop everything and fix it, never mind schedules and the like. The other thing is that why send something back to the person who took the call because there's in sufficient information. As the returner will need to call the originator in any case why waste time going backwards and forwards like that ?

It's a farmework which is not very flexible unless you bend the rules which every single ITIL site I have worked as does with impunity. To me it's just a scam where companies 'train' people to use it and make lots of money. Frankly common sence gets the job done just as well but if you need something like ITIL to make you think you have it you obviously don't.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I have 17hours of ITIL courses to do by month end. I failed the 'introduction' to ITIL so dont hold out much hope !

Dont see the point myself, wont progress or hamper my daily job in IT. Management seem to disagree.....

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
Passing calls back and forth due to lack of info etc is an internal issue and sounds like its more to do with individuals, attitudes or more likely the poor comms from management about how it should all work.

It's a framework, guidance. It doesn;t stop people working well with eachother, talking to eachother etc.

But its deffo true that IT companies see ITIL as a selling point. "ITIL software" etc. Its rubbish. You do not need to buy tools to implement ITIL. You should be able to use it in a 2 man IT team, where log incidents in excel.

The problem is lots of companies have is that its implemented in a rigid way and used as a stick to beat people up with.

I have found it useful in our place. There are issues with a number of our processes but I see that more as how we have implemented our vision of it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Passing calls back and forth due to lack of info etc is an internal issue and sounds like its more to do with individuals, attitudes or more likely the poor comms from management about how it should all work.

It's a framework, guidance. It doesn;t stop people working well with eachother, talking to eachother etc.

But its deffo true that IT companies see ITIL as a selling point. "ITIL software" etc. Its rubbish. You do not need to buy tools to implement ITIL. You should be able tyo use it in a 2 man IT team, where log incident in excel.

The problem lots of companies have is that its implemented in a rigid way and used as a stick to beat people up with.

I have found it useful in our place. There are issues with a number of our processes but I see that more as how we have implemented our vision of it.

I have found that people who insit on passing calls back are the people who have paid to get an ITIL qualification. Common sense would tend to dictate that it's quicker and simpler for them to pick up the job as it and deal with it but within the IT framework they are in fact doing whatb ITIL says they should.

Still I'm glad I'm not the only person who is rather sceptical about it. ITIL would make more sense if users were to adhere to it but of course they don't. Not their fault admitedly as they are not IT personnal.

Last edited:

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
I have found that people who insit on passing calls back are the people who have paid to get an ITIL qualification. Common sense would tend to dictate that it's quicker and simpler for them to pick up the job as it and deal with it but within the IT framework they are in fact doing whatb ITIL says they should.

Still I;m glad I;m not the only person who is rather sceptical about it. ITIL would make more sense if users were to adhere to it but of course they don't. Not their fault admitedly as they are not IT personnal.

Yes agree that Common sense is often lacking in IT, particularly with outsourced models when finger pointing, comms issues and working rigidly to process comes into play.... that is a whole new discussion thread

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Possibly, but definately in my last place.

Re-iterating the above depends how it is implemented.

Does have the risk of turning whoever is running the service desk into the worst clip board jobsworth you've ever met in your life.

The "forward schedule of change meeting" was the one to be avoided. I always wondered if you were deciding to change the format of the forward schedule of change meeting, you would include it in the forward schedule of change and discuss it at the meeting.

Overall a good thing though. Like Prince 2 etc...

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have 17hours of ITIL courses to do by month end. I failed the 'introduction' to ITIL so dont hold out much hope !

Dont see the point myself, wont progress or hamper my daily job in IT. Management seem to disagree.....

Hate to say it Juliant but if you fail with the foundation, you may struggle with other exams. They do get harder.

I am an IT Change Manager* By following the framework set down by ITIL companies will minimise costly downtime. The biggest problem is buy-in. If IT (both techies and management) don't play ball, it just won't work. As already mentioned, it is just a framework. A lot of documented work is needed to be a success.

* I am actively looking for a new position as a Change Manager, if anyone knows of any vacancies.

Cheers

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Hate to say it Juliant but if you fail with the foundation, you may struggle with other exams. They do get harder.

I realise that, to be fair because I dont have 17hours of spare time at work I just skimmed the course and took the test.

My job is imaging machines and deploying them, I just dont see how these qualifications will help my daily job. I guess working for one of the largest IT companies in the world will go against my thoughts lol.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I realise that, to be fair because I dont have 17hours of spare time at work I just skimmed the course and took the test.

My job is imaging machines and deploying them, I just dont see how these qualifications will help my daily job. I guess working for one of the largest IT companies in the world will go against my thoughts lol.

LOL

How many courses are you doing this month?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
In a world of Scrum, DSDM, Lean, Kanban and XP - does anyone really think that ITIL (or Prince2) is the right thing to do? :shrug:

End of geeky post! :cool:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
In a world of Scrum, DSDM, Lean, Kanban and XP - does anyone really think that ITIL (or Prince2) is the right thing to do? :shrug:

End of geeky post! :cool:

Trouble is a lot of IT jobs advertised are now demanding ITIL and Prince 2 before they will even interview you.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Trouble is a lot of IT jobs advertised are now demanding ITIL and Prince 2 before they will even interview you.

Indeed, and a lot of people are making money from flogging training course for them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes and it is like a broken pencil - pointless

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, it is my life as I support a managed services portal including full it'll procedures, change, problem, request and incident management.

As we have many data centres world wide it is imperative it works, which on the whole it does.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I apparently have to implement this in work soon as I'm becoming the "field service supervisor".

Seeing as I've not even read the ancient books on it in the office, something tells me it isn't getting implemented for quite some time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here