Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Italy v England

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Perhaps that's because we then have to play good teams, who are peaking at just the right time. It feels as though sides like Italy rarely peak in qualifying: they seem to do the minimum needed to get themselves to the finals and save their best form for when it really matters.

England on the other hand have tended to get excited about a qualifying campaign in which they beat someone like Luxembourg and Georgia, and then generally flop against the first decent opponents they play in the finals. Unless it's Holland.

True although we have had some 'fairly' difficult looking qualifying games. Croatia springs to mind and Switzeland away last year looked extremely tough. People were raving about the Swiss at the World Cup - we go to their place and convincingly beat them and it seems forgotten... Portugal are another who are traditionally extremely poor in qualifying but do better than us at the majors. And France...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Italy are pretty poor, this is a good chance to get a big scalp

We should never have lost to them at the WC. We were the better side hat night!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps that's because we then have to play good teams, who are peaking at just the right time. It feels as though sides like Italy rarely peak in qualifying: they seem to do the minimum needed to get themselves to the finals and save their best form for when it really matters.

England on the other hand have tended to get excited about a qualifying campaign in which they beat someone like Luxembourg and Georgia, and then generally flop against the first decent opponents they play in the finals. Unless it's Holland.

True. Neither supporters nor players seem to have much interest in qualifying games over here.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Shameful build up by ITV, 15 mins with monster ad breaks, they really should be ashamed

Treating the fixture with the contempt it deserves... anyway, we are overdue a long term injury "concern ", my money is on Walcott or Clyne.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Both teams looking very poor so far, I'll give this shite another 10 and then get on with my life

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Balls! Good goal though but he never looks like scoring for Saints

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I do wonder why Jones is considered good enough to play for England in defence and midfield. Never been that impressed with him. Surely we have better options in midfield than this?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I do wonder why Jones is considered good enough to play for England in defence and midfield. Never been that impressed with him. Surely we have better options in midfield than this?

Going to be the best Utd player ever according to SAF :lolol:

He's woeful , plays poorly at centre half for Utd so why the **** is in England's midfield?

Baffling selection

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Wayne Rooney says other nations will be 'frightened' by England"

I'm not watching the game but do Italy look frightened?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Going to be the best Utd player ever according to SAF :lolol:

He's woeful , plays poorly at centre half for Utd so why the **** is in England's midfield?

Baffling selection

It's funny that Utd bought Jones the same year that Liverpool bought Henderson.

For the 1st season it did look like Utd got the better deal but definitely not now. Different class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here