Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Italy anti-immigration rally draws thousands in Rome

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I suggest Sussex takes a million. That would help spread the burden. Perhaps 50-100000 in the Brighton area. There seems to be some solid support for taking people in on here so let's test that sentiment.

Sounds like a plan. We can take some more in Geelong too, if Tony stops locking them all up or paying developing countries to take them. It would certainly take the pressure of those countries that are taking loads.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
**** 'em. We don't need to worry about mankind.

Why did the Victorians even bother with special needs. They are just more people to suck out money for nothing.

Leeches.

And in that vein it should be irrelevant what their occupation is if they are refugees.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Sounds like a plan. We can take some more in Geelong too, if Tony stops locking them all up or paying developing countries to take them. It would certainly take the pressure of those countries that are taking loads.

And buy into an estate agents while you are at it, as most people who fancy the idea in theory will be off like a dirty shirt when it actually happens.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And buy into an estate agents while you are at it, as most people who fancy the idea in theory will be off like a dirty shirt when it actually happens.

Not sure this is the case. Many people over here are offering asylum seekers and refugees bed and board while they get on their feet. i have recently joined a group offering free English lessons. There are many groups over here doing many things to help them.

I find it hard to believe that Australia has a better class of bleeding heart that the UK. Although to be fair Asylum Seeker over here are treated far worse than they are over there, only if they arrive by boat of course those arriving by plane aren't so bad.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It did, actually.
Roving bands of asylum-seekers, heavily armed in some cases, were what those colored arrows in the history books neatly labeled "Goths", "Ostragoths" "Vandals", etc. usually were.
They weren't bent on destruction, except perhaps the Huns, but on access to the good things inside the empire -- in fact they usually swapped residency permission and some land for service in the Roman army as an irregular frontier force.

Think 200,000 Gurkhas on the move, with families, in caravans...

I read this and immediately had an image of a train of caravans on the A23 coming fgrom Croydon, all looking for somewhere better :)

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
It did, actually.
Roving bands of asylum-seekers, heavily armed in some cases, were what those colored arrows in the history books neatly labeled "Goths", "Ostragoths" "Vandals", etc. usually were.
They weren't bent on destruction, except perhaps the Huns, but on access to the good things inside the empire -- in fact they usually swapped residency permission and some land for service in the Roman army as an irregular frontier force.

Think 200,000 Gurkhas on the move, with families, in caravans...

if you haven't played Total War: Attilla, you should - as it covers the subject that it seems you have interest in, plus its a cracking game

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013

We'd need to spend a few years building the infrastructure for them, unfortunately there's absolutely zero political will.

We don't even look after our own, food banks in one of the richest countries in the world says it all really.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well seeing as Aus is well over 30 times the size of England, with less than a quarter of our population, plus you are big sympathiser and seem to know what is best for England. ....
Maybe Aus can take them eh.

Yes we should be taking far more than we do, Sadly our governments are selfish wankers who refuse to accept our fair share of responsibility for a global problem. Sad really that we take so few and treat them so appallingly that the UN continuously condemn our behaviour. Still such policies win votes.

When faced with people fleeing persecution, war and death in their own countries how do you manage not to sympathise?............ I don't get it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We'd need to spend a few years building the infrastructure for them, unfortunately there's absolutely zero political will.

We don't even look after our own, food banks in one of the richest countries in the world says it all really.

Hey, that's not fair, your governments certainly look after their own.................. just like ours.

Jan 30, 2008
I suggest Sussex takes a million. That would help spread the burden. Perhaps 50-100000 in the Brighton area. There seems to be some solid support for taking people in on here so let's test that sentiment.
Maybe along the lines of language students where you take a couple into your house and get paid for the privalage :lolol:
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rubbish - the swing in Europe is to left as we've seen in Greece - and Spain will be next this year by electing Podemos. Your facist tart Le Pen has no chance of gaining power in France thanks to the electoral system there meaning she has to get 51% - not even French conservatives are that stupid.

I broadly agree with this.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes we should be taking far more than we do, Sadly our governments are selfish wankers who refuse to accept our fair share of responsibility for a global problem. Sad really that we take so few and treat them so appallingly that the UN continuously condemn our behaviour. Still such policies win votes.

When faced with people fleeing persecution, war and death in their own countries how do you manage not to sympathise?............ I don't get it.

Who says that people don't sympathise? Of course you can have sympathy, but that does not necessarily mean that we should take in huge numbers. We are a small country, and we have enough trouble satisfying demand for the NHS as it is. Should we still have the same degree of sympathy for economic migrants.
I am not disagreeing with your sentiments and willingness to help, but the sheer potential scale of the problem is what worries folk in Britain. Also, we will almost certainly import a minority who will turn against us, if the last few years are anything to go by, and this will store up problems for the future.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
[/B]

Who says that people don't sympathise? Of course you can have sympathy, but that does not necessarily mean that we should take in huge numbers. We are a small country, and we have enough trouble satisfying demand for the NHS as it is. Should we still have the same degree of sympathy for economic migrants.
I am not disagreeing with your sentiments and willingness to help, but the sheer potential scale of the problem is what worries folk in Britain. Also, we will almost certainly import a minority who will turn against us, if the last few years are anything to go by, and this will store up problems for the future.

No one says people don't sympathise i was responding to SM calling me a 'big sympathiser' and wondering how people cannot sympathise. As far as the UK is concerned they seem to take a fair amount (far more than Australia anyway) but this doesn't get away from the fact that their are still many more around the globe that need to go somewhere. So where do we put them?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
[/B]

Spot on. Much easier though for some to see you as uncaring and other easy soundbites, makes them feel a cut above i suppose.

Dandyman

In London village.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
No one says people don't sympathise i was responding to SM calling me a 'big sympathiser' and wondering how people cannot sympathise. As far as the UK is concerned they seem to take a fair amount (far more than Australia anyway) but this doesn't get away from the fact that their are still many more around the globe that need to go somewhere. So where do we put them?
Sorry -I had not realised. Yes, there are millions around the globe, I am sure, as you state, but, though they might "need" to go somewhere, that does not necessarily mean that we put them anywhere. Yes, this sounds harsh, but where does it stop? At just under 300,000 a year, I can't help feeling that we are doing our fair share, and as I pointed out, storing problems for the future. Of course we should all live in harmony but is this really what you think will happen? I noticed in an earlier post that you help with English lessons, and whilst I certainly applaud your stance, I am not sure that Australia is morally obliged to take people from countries thousands of miles away, because there is land to go round. The more problems with extremism, the harder it will be to convince governments and indeed the population at large, that we should take in immigrants from the Third World.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well this is what worries some that live here.

As our national identity is eroded, the political class still refuses to admit the scale of the catastrophe.

When the bloodthirsty Islamist brute nicknamed “Jihadi John” was exposed as a London computer graduate and terror suspect called Mohammed Emwazi, the cry went up, “How was he allowed to slip through the net?”

But it was an absurd question.

There is no net.

According to the Office of National Statistics (ONS), no fewer than 624,000 people immigrated to the United Kingdom in the year ending September 2014, a rise of 94,000 on the previous year.
The real impact of mass immigration could be far higher, for the total of National Insurance numbers dished out last year to foreigners was 768,000, an increase of 24 per cent on the previous year.
Moreover the ONS report does not of course include the huge wave of illegal migrants who surge through our porous borders every year.
Even on the most cautious basis, the statistics are truly shocking.
Every year, the equivalent of Manchester’s vast population is now settling here.

Actually, less than half of the new arrivals, only 271,000 people, moved here for work.

Rates of welfare dependency, joblessness and economic inactivity are all significantly higher among immigrants from outside the EU than among people born here.

Damningly, last week’s report from University College London demonstrated that migrants are six times more likely never to have worked than native Britons.
http://www.express.co.uk/comment/co...o-McKinstry-on-immigration-destroying-Britain

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Rubbish - the swing in Europe is to left as we've seen in Greece - and Spain will be next this year by electing Podemos. Your facist tart Le Pen has no chance of gaining power in France thanks to the electoral system there meaning she has to get 51% - not even French conservatives are that stupid.

Rather sadly, even the far-left politicians have their snouts in the trough, it would appear.

Podemos is intrinsically linked with the totalitarian and brutal left-wing Venezuelan regime, who have now given up all pretense and are now openly killing their own people in the streets but rather curiously, in an attempt to show their open-ness Podemos released full details of their donations and financial links with Venezuela. It turns out that a Podemos founder member set up a company in a way as so to avoid paying as much tax as possible on half a million euros consultancy work (nice work if you can get it). He's since made a 'donation' of 200,000 euros to the Spanish tax office so that's alright then but it begs the question why a good neo-marxist is dabbling in wholsesale tax avoidance in the first place.

I'm not convinced that Syriza will last too long in Greece, their capitulation last month means that they will have to carry on with the austerity measures that the previous government brought about. The honeymoon will probably be brief and Podemos have been given notice that there won't be any concessions for the Spanish from the Troika either. Strong words at home but ultimately they will kow-tow to the Germans as the Greeks have just done. And worryingly, the far right in Greece although small did come third in the elections, the French far-right are on the rise again and similar noises in Germany, Austria and Italy. All this proves is that in times of crisis, the parties at the extremis do well, both far left and far right. I don't think you can read the Greek and Spanish polls as anything more than this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here