Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Italy - A nation falls into the hands of NSC-style pollsters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I love the fact that some poll has put normal people in power. In this country, people would vote for a cat if it was wearing the right coloured rosette and it has landed us with some truly incompetent MPs. (There are some superb MPs in this country but they get tarred by the same brush as the f*** witts)
It also highlights the fact that many people vote for personalities probably more so than their underlying message.

One of my pet hates about many voters in this country is the "I've always voted for x party and always will as my father did before me" morons. That's not a functioning democracy - it's just a herd of lemmings.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One of my pet hates about many voters in this country is the "I've always voted for x party and always will as my father did before me" morons. That's not a functioning democracy - it's just a herd of lemmings.
This is of course especially true of the big two parties. But look at the gutless mess Nick Clegg has made of his big chance to change all that. He sold his party and voters down the river by abandoning his main policies and agreed on a referendum for that woeful voting system in lieu of PR - all for a sniff of power. I f***ing hate Clegg more than any other politician. Even more than Gideon.

I was a lib dem voter before. I'm utterly disillusioned now and have no idea where to turn. I'd have voted for this Italian comedian if it was all happening in this country.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I love the fact that some poll has put normal people in power. In this country, people would vote for a cat if it was wearing the right coloured rosette and it has landed us with some truly incompetent MPs. (There are some superb MPs in this country but they get tarred by the same brush as the f*** witts)
It also highlights the fact that many people vote for personalities probably more so than their underlying message.

Perhaps the Official Monster Raving Loony Party was on to something after all. Upon the death of leader Screaming Lord Sutch, they elected the deputy leader's cat as the new leader.

Similarly, Lord Sutch's first 'political manifestos' from the 1960s featured such outrageous policies as being able to vote at 18, passports for pets, and all-day pub openings.

Visionaries, they were.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The moVement started in Italy in 2007 - with no intention of winning parliamentary seats.

Roz and I stumbled across V-Day in Bologna when we were on holiday there in September 2007. It was massive. "V-Day" stands for Vaffanculo Day, btw. That was the clear message. I can't see Nigel Farage organising a "f*** Off Day" in Tunbridge Wells.

800px-V-day_bologna_02.jpg

Every day is a f*** off day in my world.

D

Deleted member 22389

My dad voted Labour, my grandfather voted Labour, my whole family voted Labour. I used to vote Labour, but next time around UKIP are going to get my vote. I can't stand Ed Milliband, and I can't stand the people who stood before him either.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
My dad voted Labour, my grandfather voted Labour, my whole family voted Labour. I used to vote Labour, but next time around UKIP are going to get my vote. I can't stand Ed Milliband, and I can't stand the people who stood before him either.

Just out of interest, what policies of Labour do you not like that UKIP manages to address ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Did anyone see Black Mirror last night... was quite apt for this thread I thought.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My grandfather was a communist, my father is a staunch Tory and I'm a member of the Labour party. Maybe my family react as opposed to follow?

D

Deleted member 22389

Just out of interest, what policies of Labour do you not like that UKIP manages to address ?

Getting proper controls of our borders, and getting a proper deal with the EU. I don't people coming here to work providing there is a need.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Getting proper controls of our borders, and getting a proper deal with the EU. I don't people coming here to work providing there is a need.

Yawn

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I personally feel the borders should be totally sealed; no one allowed in or out.

The Italians seem to have worked out that these sorts of objectives are beyond the skills of their politicians and civil servants. What makes you think that UKIP could achieve the changes you want?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Who are these people? None of them have any political experience.

Something that would actually encourage me to vote for them. People with political experience in this country come in two categories. The PPE Oxbridge graduate who becomes a professional politician and slave to their chosen party or the sort of loony who hangs round local newspaper comment sections.

I'd love the Health Service to be run by a senior doctor, Education by someone with experience of teaching, the Home Office by an ex-copper. Political experience is literally the last thing I vote for.

D

Deleted member 22389

The Italians seem to have worked out that these sorts of objectives are beyond the skills of their politicians and civil servants. What makes you think that UKIP could achieve the changes you want?

Well I know UKIP do not have a hope in hell of running this country. However what they have managed to do is make the EU an issue for those that are bothered about it like me. It's bought the issue more in to focus. That's enough for me.

Well I know UKIP do not have a hope in hell of running this country. However what they have managed to do is make the EU an issue for those that are bothered about it like me. It's bought the issue more in to focus. That's enough for me.
And they've galvanised all political parties to ensure that UKIP policies will not get put into practice. When the Euro referendum happens, you can be assured that Cameron will be campaigning to stay in.

D

Deleted member 22389

And they've galvanised all political parties to ensure that UKIP policies will not get put into practice. When the Euro referendum happens, you can be assured that Cameron will be campaigning to stay in.

A lot can happen in this time, so lets wait and see.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

That probably has more to do with his hope for future career prospects than any real desire to be part of the EU.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
So ... Beppe Grillo's Five Star Movement wins a quarter of the seats in parliament, making it impossible to put together a government.

Who are these people? None of them have any political experience. And most of the candidates whose names were put forward for election were chosen by small-scale internet polling. It's not a great deal different from the classic NSC rigging of other people's polls - remember Vicky Peck, the fat girl that we thrust to the front of the Miss Scunny Bunny competition?

The people have spoken. Beppe Grillo, the comedian behind all this, didn't even bother to put his own name forward for election. The balance of power now lies in the hands of a bunch of people whose political message can best be summed up in one word ...

... Whatever.

Thats one way of looking at it.

Another way is to see it as a aprotest party. None of the mainstream parties can be trusted any longer and no one has had the courage to form a new party to challenge them so Beppe Grillo forms a party to highlight the fact that people will vote for these 'whatever's than vote for the mainstream. Perhaps soemone will finally get the hint...

Wish this would happen in certain other countries where none of the options offer a viable future for the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here