Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Italian Leagues suspended after footballer dies

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
From the Telegraph
Livorno's Piermario Morosini dies after suffering heart attack during Serie B clash against Pescara
Livorno midfielder Piermario Morosini has died in hospital after suffering from a heart attack during his team's Serie B match at Pescara.
ll weekend football in Italy has been called off following the death.
Lega Serie B confirmed on their website: "Tragedy on the field. After suffering a cardiac arrest during the match between Pescara and Livorno, Piermario Morosini has died.
"The 25-year-old player, who came through the youth ranks with Atalanta, arrived at Livorno from Udinese in January and played nine times for the Amaranto."
Morosini fell to the ground in the 31st minute of the match and received urgent medical attention on the pitch. A defibrillator was used on the 25 year-old.
Morosini - on loan from Udinese - was then rushed to Pescara's Santo Spirito hospital.The player was conscious when he was stretchered off the pitch but was reportedly put into a medically induced coma at the hospital.
"He looked at me in the eyes when he was taken into the ambulance," Pescara's general manager, Danilo Iannascoli, told Sky Italia. "We are living through a drama."
Italian media are claiming a car belonging to traffic police blocked the ambulance's way into the stadium and a window had to be broken so the car could be moved.
"I don't know if the ambulance was late, but I know that the entrance onto the pitch was blocked by a vehicle," Iannascoli said. "Morosini collapsed, he tried to get back up but then collapsed again."
The match was immediately called off, with the other players leaving the field in tears.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Shocking, horrible news. There must be something behind all these sudden heart condition/collapses. The only one I can remember before Muamba was Marc Vivien Foe. Maybe its something to do with fitter hearts or more stress in the game?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Makes the awful result this afternoon irrelevant after this news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here