Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Italian footballers' betting investigation

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't see why betting your own team to win is such a bad thing, providing you're not betting on specific scores or number of goals.Obviously, it's against the rules and they shouldn't be doing it but it would, surely, influence them in a positive way, unlike betting against your own team.
It can lead to issues though, although not as obvious as betitng to lose e.g. If someone is known to regularly betting on a side to win, then they dont bet on a particular game, this sends out a signal to the team and maybe others which might impact confidence etc. As someone else said it could lead to bribes if debts are run up etc.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
As we've seen with Toney and Tonali they just cry addiction and it becomes more difficult.

Toney should have been banned for 5 years, so should Tonali now he's admitted betting in his own team.

Surely betting on your own team is worse than being caught for a non performance enhancing drug?
Having a gambling addiction shouldn’t let them off punishment. Obviously they should receive appropriate support from their clubs and the PFA, but it should be treated as gross misconduct as in any job you should be given your marching orders. In the case of sport where it brings the integrity of the competition into disrepute the players should be given a lifetime ban to ensure the integrity of the sport.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having a gambling addiction shouldn’t let them off punishment. Obviously they should receive appropriate support from their clubs and the PFA, but it should be treated as gross misconduct as in any job you should be given your marching orders. In the case of sport where it brings the integrity of the competition into disrepute the players should be given a lifetime ban to ensure the integrity of the sport.
Bit harsh! Tomey claimed a gambling addiction and is still banned so he has been punished. Tonali, having admitted betting on his own team (although he apparently states it was not in any games he was eligible to play in) will likely get a longer ban that Zaniolo.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Come over to the U.K. and get your bottom spanked sometime near the end of the season.

That sums up the power of clubs/players over any semblance of equity and proper punishment in the modern game in England.

Parties are able to drag things out so that bans include the close season.

The solution, set bans in terms of number of non-friendly club games, with an internationals ban the same duration.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wonder if gambling will migrate to "not good/cool" in the populous opinion like smoking and drink-driving have over the last 2-3 decades?
Yes.

Judging by the sorts I see buying lottery tickets and scratch cards in our local supermarkets, it is already happening.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I don't see why betting your own team to win is such a bad thing, providing you're not betting on specific scores or number of goals.Obviously, it's against the rules and they shouldn't be doing it but it would, surely, influence them in a positive way, unlike betting against your own team.

It's a cam of worms.

As others have said, it could lead to bribes to other players/refs, inside info etc.

Also, for e.g if it's 1-1 in the 90th minute and the manager wants his team to park the bus, the player that has bet on his team to win may ignore this and go rouge.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Tonali’s lawyers are apparently negotiating a plea bargain 10 month ban which would see him miss the rest of the season and the Euros. Hope the Italian FA tell them where to go and impose the full 3 year ban.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tonali’s lawyers are apparently negotiating a plea bargain 10 month ban which would see him miss the rest of the season and the Euros. Hope the Italian FA tell them where to go and impose the full 3 year ban.
They accepted such an 'offer' from the other bloke, so I'd imagine they will with Tonali, too.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

He's only sorry as he got caught, so I agree, he was betting on his own team.

I imagine the Newcastle lawyers are threatening to sue AC/Italian FA for with holding information over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here