Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] It was 50 years ago today................

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Own up though, how many people use dual measurements? You know what I mean, two foot wide by 600mm long?

Combustion engines are always quoted in displacement of cubic centimetres yet [for older engines] the bore and stroke were in inches.
E.g. the famous Rolls Royce Merlin was 5.4" x 6" [B&S] giving 27 litres aka 27,000 cc

As an aside, the Merlin was a v12, weighed 600kg and churned out just over 1,000 horsepower - today's modern F1 cars, on 1500 cc are similar in weight and power [but as v6] to the Merlin

D

Deleted member 2719

Bob a job.

12p a job just does not work.:lolol:

"AKELA, WE WILL DO OUR BEST!"

Kids don't understand everyday morals nowadays.

Attachments

• Bob a Job.PNG
    Bob a Job.PNG
    412.4 KB · Views: 61

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's probably why kids can't count past ten. A base 12 system makes sense to us, the older generation....in fact, no it doesn't, base 10 is easier.....but we weren't allowed to use calculators when I went to school. Feet and inches over centimetres and metres any day of the week.
Own up though, how many people use dual measurements? You know what I mean, two foot wide by 600mm long?

Yes - if you go into our local timber yard, you buy two metres of two-by-two.

Indeed, I have just had a quick look online, and it's the same there in many places - advertised as 2"x2" and you buy it by the metre.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I can remember some weird stuff from up to 60 years' ago. I can recite the register of pupils from my first year at secondary school, and when I came across a photo of my junior class when I was 10, I could name every one.

Back to the prices, I was paid 15p and hour (3 shillings). My first pay packet contained £ 1.20. I thought I'd won the pools!

My goodness: you are th Memory Man of NSC! One of my mates could remember and recite at will (and frequently did) the first Albion line up he saw in 1953 and likewise the first Sussex CCC team.

You were indeed loaded - I got 12s 6d per week for my paper round. No wonder I went on to become an active trade unionist!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I remember loads of people complaining about how difficult it would be, using a scale in tens and hundreds instead of 3 p a thruppeny bit, 6 p a tanner, 12 p a shilling, 2 bob a florin, 2 and 6 half a crown, and 144 pennies, or 20 shillings in a pound. People campaigned on the 'it will be so confusing' ticket. Bless.

144 pennies in a pound? You got short changed big time.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I’ve only even known decimal, but I’d like it if we went back to shillings and Guineas. It sounds more fun.

At the time, Max Bygraves introduced this handy rap song to tell people all about new pence.

Always thought from memories of being a kid that I preferred the Scaffold's TV information film jingle. But having just listened to it for the first time in half a century I now realise it was a little bit shit...

[yt]G76Zp0mxIGo[/yt]

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Apologies for the disappointmen!. But how much was it to get into the Goldstone in old money? (Nice football related one for yo to chew on. Any ticket stubs in the loft?)

69-70 season ticket

Grandstand £10 10s
South Stand £5 5s

I think potg was 3 shillings

Juniors & Pensioners 2/6

A programme would have set you back 1/-

The last home game in old money was Shrewsbury

The first home game in new money was Preston (programme 5p)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

69-70 season ticket

Grandstand £10 10s
South Stand £5 5s

I think potg was 3 shillings

Juniors & Pensioners 2/6

A programme would have set you back 1/-

The last home game in old money was Shrewsbury

The first home game in new money was Preston (programme 5p)

Magnificently trivial :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here