Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] IT Help - Snail like download speed

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
My guess as the Laptop works next door, it is a compatibility issue between the laptop and the ISP router

Did plusnet provide the router? if so you could try replacing it with an off the shelf one. All the configuration deltails you need will be on the admin page of your existing one.

Yes it was supplied by them.

Understood about an off the shelf router ... would be nice if I could determine if it were compatibility, and obviously that I'm not shelling out on a new router that has the same compatibility issues

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes it was supplied by them.

Understood about an off the shelf router ... would be nice if I could determine if it were compatibility, and obviously that I'm not shelling out on a new router that has the same compatibility issues

Their supplied routers are bog standard. Definitely worth upgrading to your own. Looks like from your screen shot it doesn't even support ac but stops at n.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Should be able to connect to Ethernet by using a usb c to Ethernet adapter. I know it doesn’t fix the WiFi issue, but could be a work around to test whether it is router connected issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If you can run the diagnostics and send them over, I'll happily review them and I'll then know exactly what is going on. It does have the feel like of wireless hardware/driver or 3rd party software if you have full line of sight

I PM'd ...I've got this in 'prettier' HTML format but not sure how to convert. I know I can email.

Here I pasted into a doc (wouldn't accept .docx) ... not sure if any of it will make sense

View attachment Wlan Report.doc

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Plusnet routers aren't great (not many ISP-supplied routers are). I upgraded mine to an Asus RT-AC86U and use it with an openreach DSL modem (can be had off the ebay for about £15).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This is weird (well it is to me)

Recently changed ISP from Vodafone to Plusnet. Everything OK except Mrs 6 month old Lenovo laptop suffering with very regular but intermittent download speeds (it's either 2mps or 38mps)

As everything else running fine (2 phones, 1ipad, 1android table and 1 laptop) I assumed it was an issue with driver or something such like.

2 hours Lenovo tech support by phone and remote control including full factory reset no better ... send it back. Get it back with no real info other than software reinstalled, all checked and fine. Run it again but still desperately slow.

Call Lenovo, argue ... they say nothing wrong with hardware gotta call Microsoft, goodbye

Call Microsoft ... 2 hours on phone/remote all sorts of box ticking/unticking ... nothing wrong ... they say must be ISP, I argue can't be as other stuff OK .. sorry can't help more, goodbye

Machine still running at 2mps so I go next door and hook up to his ISP and get 35mps

So it does appear to be ISP but I just know I am going to call and they are going to say they'll do a test and it all looks fine

Does anyone have any idea why the ISP speed can be just fine on 5 devices but not 1?

It's the Russians !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Plusnet routers aren't great (not many ISP-supplied routers are). I upgraded mine to an Asus RT-AC86U and use it with an openreach DSL modem (can be had off the ebay for about £15).

This. Asus and Netgear routers consistently and still get rave reviews.

Whereas:

8AB1CC5B-52E1-412F-8DD6-2972D3779E26.png

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Thanks. It looks like you are connected without issue on 5G (802.11ac) and the connection is stable so, there's no connection drop which is good news.
Given it's stable, it does point at a driver/software issue, although I can't rule out some weird Wireless setting compatibility issue on the plusnet router.

I would update the Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz driver direct from the Intel website as you're at .10 and the latest is .60. Also once the driver is updated, go into the Wifi adapter and ensure Transmit Power is set to Highest and the power saving is disable/set to Max Performance.

If that doesn't help at all. Talk to Plusnet as it could also be a wireless configuration issue

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Re: upgrading the bog standard Plusnet router.

Forgot to add. If you're on fibre, make sure that, if you do get your own router, it's fibre compatible.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thanks. It looks like you are connected without issue on 5G (802.11ac) and the connection is stable so, there's no connection drop which is good news.
Given it's stable, it does point at a driver/software issue, although I can't rule out some weird Wireless setting compatibility issue on the plusnet router.

I would update the Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz driver direct from the Intel website as you're at .10 and the latest is .60. Also once the driver is updated, go into the Wifi adapter and ensure Transmit Power is set to Highest and the power saving is disable/set to Max Performance.

If that doesn't help at all. Talk to Plusnet as it could also be a wireless configuration issue

Thanks, very much appreciated. Will try that before taking a punt on new router

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Wise move, starting with free or cheapest option first.

Tbh, if you're not running a load of devices and you're happy with the speed and connectivity on everything else bar this laptop, the Plusnet router might still be fine for you and you can save a few bob.

Hopefully, Barnet Seagull's advice might fix it. But if it doesn't, I'd even go to the next cheapest option first of trying a wi-fi dongle as they can be had for literally a few quid nowadays. New upgraded router should really be last resort, although you will still be getting something much much better than what Plusnet have provided, so it won't be money wasted. I know from personal experience.

Good luck.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Its also worth reviewing any security software installed as something else could be impacting the connection.

Before you take a punt on a new router, check the laptop works consistently well on wifi elsewhere.

Also, you might want to force the wireless adapter to 2.4Ghz and see if that makes an acceptable difference before buying anything.

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
For a quick and easy test. Disconnect from your standard wifi, and use your phone as a Hotspot- connect your laptop to phone Hotspot and check the speed.

If all looks normal, it's almost certainly an issue between your wifi router and laptop - meaning a new router is in order.
That's my current guess.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
For a quick and easy test. Disconnect from your standard wifi, and use your phone as a Hotspot- connect your laptop to phone Hotspot and check the speed.

If all looks normal, it's almost certainly an issue between your wifi router and laptop - meaning a new router is in order.
That's my current guess.

Ran it through the phone hotspot and ran perfectly

Did all of that except power saving bit as can't find it :(

No security stuff installed other than what comes with Windows

Not sure how I force it to 2.4GHz ... might need to call Plusnet ... or find instructions tomorrow

Wise move, starting with free or cheapest option first.

Tbh, if you're not running a load of devices and you're happy with the speed and connectivity on everything else bar this laptop, the Plusnet router might still be fine for you and you can save a few bob.

Hopefully, Barnet Seagull's advice might fix it. But if it doesn't, I'd even go to the next cheapest option first of trying a wi-fi dongle as they can be had for literally a few quid nowadays. New upgraded router should really be last resort, although you will still be getting something much much better than what Plusnet have provided, so it won't be money wasted. I know from personal experience.

Good luck.

Yes, I'm still struggling to understand why a new router is needed ... but definitely something going on that laptop and router aren't happy with each other

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Turn off "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in the Wireless Adapter Properties.
In the adatper settings advanced You'll have a property of 802.11n/ac wireless mode or similar. Disable n and ac and it'll force you to 2.4ghz (you'll want only 802.11b/g)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Strange one. Given its only the laptop, and the laptop works on a neighbour's WiFi and your own WiFI via a hotspot, it must be some kind of incompatibility between the laptop and the router. Try updating WiFi drivers for the laptop, and another option might be to do a bios flash to the latest version but that is a bit more technical. The other option is to call Plusnet and ask if they can check the router firmware is all updated, and try to complain and get a new one, which might help.

Otherwise it seems a USB dongle is your cheapest workaround.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have you tried switching it off and on again?

I'll get my coax.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm sat 10' from the router (on 2.4GHz). I'm sat with 2 laptops and an ipad right now and getting the same results (2 fine 1 rubbish). I've also powered every other device off and run the test and no better. I thought channel conflict was nearby neighbours but either side are a decent distance and I know do not use internet to any degree and even then would it not impact on all my devices?

does your neighbour have the same router and ISP ? Have you access to an alternative router or can you take yours round his and see if you still get the fast speed.

P.S. if your neighbour router is in range then :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here