Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It has been reported uefa may break away from fifa and hold a rival tournament.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know I keep saying it but EUFA can refuse to allow European teams to take part in the FIFA World Cup if they voted in favour of a boycott.so players taking part would be automatically banned from domestic competitions. Whether or not they would is a different matter.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
er... well as this is a message board about opinions.. and you are quoting me saying it...

I guess Blackadder is the chap saying it? :shrug:
I didn't realise you were just giving your opinion, I thought perhaps you weret quoting some authority on the subject.

So you think that if every member of UEFA said they wanted to leave FIFA, except one, then we'd stay? Obviously that is ridiculous, and not the case.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Of course it won't force him out.

Even a diminished gravy train is still a gravy train.

In my view a break away tournament would be excellent. Euro nations + by invitation. Countries would be falling over themselves to get the golden invitation ticket.

Let the FIFA World Cup become a glorified African Cup of nations. Corrupt as it likes, with much less revenue.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To play devil's advocate here, isn't this the sort of thing that's led to Asia and Africa voting for Blatter? UEFA historically got all the money along with S. America and allegedly got all p!ssy when FIFA started directing football development funds away from those powerhouses, to developing football nations in Asia and Africa.

UEFA's ethos over the last 5 years under Platini has essentially enshrined the status quo in a bubble, so only the rich can stay rich and no-body else can compete. You now have more than ever a clear divide in the Leagues (except maybe the Prem). Bayern will win the Bundesliga, Real or Barca will win La Liga, Juventus will win Seria A and PSG will win Ligue 1. In England, It's only ever going to be Chelsea, Man City, Man United or maybe Arsenal.

UEFA has killed true competition in Europe and it wants to do the same globally.

Devil's advocate, like.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didn't realise you were just giving your opinion, I thought perhaps you weret quoting some authority on the subject.

So you think that if every member of UEFA said they wanted to leave FIFA, except one, then we'd stay? Obviously that is ridiculous, and not the case.

Not saying one but if three countries, Spain, France and Russia, have already been mentioned don't join in. I think it would be difficult.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Trouble is I don't see the main countries all being on board.

Depends on what you consider to be the main countries. In terms of football, England are on a second tier right now in comparison to teams like Germany, Holland and Spain; however, on a commercial basis - fan attendance, TV rights, sponsorship etc. - England are arguably the biggest international team in Europe. For this reason, I think that the two major players that need to be on board are England and Germany - the rest will follow, with the exception of Russia.

On a world scale, the inclusion of the USA in a a breakaway tournament would have huge commercial implications to the existing FIFA world cup. I really hope that they get something together; the omission of the Blatter supporting African and Asian countries for the inaugural tournament will be more than worth it in the long run.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To play devil's advocate here, isn't this the sort of thing that's led to Asia and Africa voting for Blatter? UEFA historically got all the money along with S. America and allegedly got all p!ssy when FIFA started directing football development funds away from those powerhouses, to developing football nations in Asia and Africa.
I think a lot of the money should go to football in developing countries. It should be worked out on the basis of what's fair, and the process of deciding it should be transparent. A lot of what's happened under FIFA is good. But it's not good enough.

UEFA's ethos over the last 5 years under Platini has essentially enshrined the status quo in a bubble, so only the rich can stay rich and no-body else can compete.
I don't think Platini is any better than Blatter, but the whole of FIFA is so bad that change can't be worse than what we have. At least with change we have the chance of transparency.

I would very much like UEFA to leave FIFA.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think a lot of the money should go to football in developing countries. It should be worked out on the basis of what's fair, and the process of deciding it should be transparent. A lot of what's happened under FIFA is good. But it's not good enough.

I don't think Platini is any better than Blatter, but the whole of FIFA is so bad that change can't be worse than what we have. At least with change we have the chance of transparency.

I would very much like UEFA to leave FIFA.

I agree entirely on point 1. Transparency is the key change for me. In terms of point 2, I guess my point is that for fans in Africa and Asia, are FIFA so bad? I would argue no.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not saying one but if three countries, Spain, France and Russia, have already been mentioned don't join in. I think it would be difficult.
You may not have meant to say that, but you did.

I don't think Russia matters one bit. Even with the 3 you mention, I'm sure it would work. We'd still have a very successful and popular money spinning Champions League without those 3, and Real Madrid and Barcelona would be desperate to join. And I don't think Spain would be that fussed about a WC where they have to qualify against African countries every 4 years, and no invite to the Euros.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree entirely on point 1. Transparency is the key change for me. In terms of point 2, I guess my point is that for fans in Africa and Asia, are FIFA so bad? I would argue no.
Fans in Africa and Asia are going to get to see the WC in Qatar, which is bull**** for fans. A WC in stadiums with atmosphere is better for the fans. And I'd like to see the money they get helping their football and their fans, not going to whichever corrupt official oversees it. So even in Africa and Asia, it could be a lot better.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Spreading the money to developing countries isn't the issue. It's how much of that actually gets to where it's intended.

I would certainly argue that there's no point in giving most of the money generated to associations that are already drowning in cash. It just depends how you define "fair", really.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I don't think Russia matters one bit. Even with the 3 you mention, I'm sure it would work. We'd still have a very successful and popular money spinning Champions League without those 3, and Real Madrid and Barcelona would be desperate to join. And I don't think Spain would be that fussed about a WC where they have to qualify against African countries every 4 years, and no invite to the Euros.

All Uefa have to do is ban the Spanish clubs from the CL and Real and Barca will threaten to leave the Spanish FA and join a super league and they will bend over.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
If the US were to pull out and join our tournament, that would send alot of sponsors towards the uefa tournament. The sponsors would want the biggest countries on their side, and with the whole of Europe, America and Australia out of the world cup, alot of the sponsors will lose nearly all of their target audience and leave FIFA.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All Uefa have to do is ban the Spanish clubs from the CL and Real and Barca will threaten to leave the Spanish FA and join a super league and they will bend over.
Exactly. Although UEFA wouldn't be banning Spanish clubs specifically, it's simply that the country being part of UEFA would be a per-requisite for teams to join the CL.

If the US were to pull out and join our tournament, that would send alot of sponsors towards the uefa tournament. The sponsors would want the biggest countries on their side, and with the whole of Europe, America and Australia out of the world cup, alot of the sponsors will lose nearly all of their target audience and leave FIFA.
There's no IF about it, the US would definitely want to join us. And Argentinian and Brazilian players earning a fortune in Europe would also want to join us, and there's nothing to stop them having their own Argentinian and Brazilian football teams, that could play in the new WC.

And if UEFA and the US etc all left FIFA, and said to Russia 'we'll play the next WC in Russia, as already planned, if you want us to', what would Russia do? Say 'no thanks, the Africans are coming'?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sponsors will go with the Tournament with the most positive publicity.

They would be all over a new world cup to try and clean up football

I'd like to think that was the case but they haven't jumped ship yet and how bad does the publicity have to get. I still think the broadcasters would go with what they thought was the best tournament which, if the main european teams are in plus Brazil, Argentina, USA and Australia, would be the Uefa tournament. That would make it more appealing to the sponsors who would be in front of, more likley, their target markets.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Fair comment, I did didn't I? I did mean to say most.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here