Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] It doesn’t really matter, does it?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Well, it’s been just over two years since I originally posted this thread. Not sure if anyone really cares, but I’m going to give an update of where I am at now – so please excuse my self indulgence.

I have largely stayed away from the forums, mainly due to the lack of empathy shown by some posters on these boards, and some real lunatic fringe beliefs and comments, I just felt now would be a good time to pop my head over the parapet, briefly, again.

Two years seems a long time when you say it, looking forward, but it has been amazing how quickly this time seems to have gone by. My wife is still currently Lymphoma free and has two more chemotherapy sessions to go to the end of her maintenance regime – then it will be a case of wait and see.

We are realistic, we know it will come back and the likelihood is that the Lymphoma will probably eventually be the killer. It’s funny as I use the expression “we” a lot, but it’s not me that is affected by this directly, it is my wife who has the Sword of Damacles hanging over her. I keep telling her that 50% of people with her particular cancer live 10 years or more after diagnosis, but for some reason this doesn’t appear to cheer her up. However, the big change in the last two years has clearly been Covid and how this affects people who are vulnerable.

I currently find myself waking every morning, once we have had our family group hug in bed, with our little one leaping all over my wife and I then the feeling of dread starts to creep over me again! I feel like I am standing on the edge of a cliff, looking down and can see nothing but darkness in front of me. I get breathless and often feel quite tearful – I am sure that someone will tell me to talk to someone, but it is really difficult, I have to be there and be strong for my wife. I know, in all likelihood what I am experiencing is depression, and I am not sure any amount of talking to people is going to change anything. I mean, it’s not going to actually kill me, is it?

It’s like this every morning now, but was probably at it’s worst this morning after the government’s scrapping of all restrictions. I see people “celebrating” getting back to normal, cheers in the Houses of Parliament, as Boris Johnson uses the lifting of the restrictions as a means to cling onto his job and not a mention, not even a whisper for those poor people who are still in fear of their lives.

"What’s the problem, you have had your jabs", I hear people say – in fact my wife has her fourth Covid jab coming up next weekend and we have the knowledge that should my wife catch Covid we have a nice PCR test kit sitting in the cupboard, kindly donated by the government, as our main means of protection now. Actually, that’s not true, we have generated our own level of protections. Like many people immunocompromised, we have no idea if the vaccines will offer any protection at all.

Our food deliveries again come courtesy of the supermarket delivery vans. Prior to Omicron I had started venturing to our local supermarket at 6am to get fresh fruit and veg, but we decided this was too risky, especially as people didn’t appear to do something simple like pop a face mask on while shopping.

Apart from going out for our daily walks we don’t leave the house – imagine that, 22 months of not going “out”, no pub, no football, no, well anything really!

So here we are, 22 months down the line. My wife’s cancer is still currently under control, my Dad has spent his second Christmas without my Mum, his wife of 60 odd years and The Albion continue to delight and offer some light relief from the everyday shit.

I could have written on and on and on about how we have coped over the last two years, how we have laughed and cried and celebrated small gains, but then cried as they were snatched away again.

All I hope is that anyone reading this can just stop for a minute, please don’t feel sorry for us, enjoy your freedoms, as it has been a long time coming, but please just spare us and all the vulnerable a thought.

Up The Albion!

Thanks for the update, all the best to you and yours. A post a lot of NSC should read.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well, it’s been just over two years since I originally posted this thread. Not sure if anyone really cares, but I’m going to give an update of where I am at now – so please excuse my self indulgence.

I have largely stayed away from the forums, mainly due to the lack of empathy shown by some posters on these boards, and some real lunatic fringe beliefs and comments, I just felt now would be a good time to pop my head over the parapet, briefly, again.

Two years seems a long time when you say it, looking forward, but it has been amazing how quickly this time seems to have gone by. My wife is still currently Lymphoma free and has two more chemotherapy sessions to go to the end of her maintenance regime – then it will be a case of wait and see.

We are realistic, we know it will come back and the likelihood is that the Lymphoma will probably eventually be the killer. It’s funny as I use the expression “we” a lot, but it’s not me that is affected by this directly, it is my wife who has the Sword of Damacles hanging over her. I keep telling her that 50% of people with her particular cancer live 10 years or more after diagnosis, but for some reason this doesn’t appear to cheer her up. However, the big change in the last two years has clearly been Covid and how this affects people who are vulnerable.

I currently find myself waking every morning, once we have had our family group hug in bed, with our little one leaping all over my wife and I then the feeling of dread starts to creep over me again! I feel like I am standing on the edge of a cliff, looking down and can see nothing but darkness in front of me. I get breathless and often feel quite tearful – I am sure that someone will tell me to talk to someone, but it is really difficult, I have to be there and be strong for my wife. I know, in all likelihood what I am experiencing is depression, and I am not sure any amount of talking to people is going to change anything. I mean, it’s not going to actually kill me, is it?

It’s like this every morning now, but was probably at it’s worst this morning after the government’s scrapping of all restrictions. I see people “celebrating” getting back to normal, cheers in the Houses of Parliament, as Boris Johnson uses the lifting of the restrictions as a means to cling onto his job and not a mention, not even a whisper for those poor people who are still in fear of their lives.

"What’s the problem, you have had your jabs", I hear people say – in fact my wife has her fourth Covid jab coming up next weekend and we have the knowledge that should my wife catch Covid we have a nice PCR test kit sitting in the cupboard, kindly donated by the government, as our main means of protection now. Actually, that’s not true, we have generated our own level of protections. Like many people immunocompromised, we have no idea if the vaccines will offer any protection at all.

Our food deliveries again come courtesy of the supermarket delivery vans. Prior to Omicron I had started venturing to our local supermarket at 6am to get fresh fruit and veg, but we decided this was too risky, especially as people didn’t appear to do something simple like pop a face mask on while shopping.

Apart from going out for our daily walks we don’t leave the house – imagine that, 22 months of not going “out”, no pub, no football, no, well anything really!

So here we are, 22 months down the line. My wife’s cancer is still currently under control, my Dad has spent his second Christmas without my Mum, his wife of 60 odd years and The Albion continue to delight and offer some light relief from the everyday shit.

I could have written on and on and on about how we have coped over the last two years, how we have laughed and cried and celebrated small gains, but then cried as they were snatched away again.

All I hope is that anyone reading this can just stop for a minute, please don’t feel sorry for us, enjoy your freedoms, as it has been a long time coming, but please just spare us and all the vulnerable a thought.

Up The Albion!

Tough post to read tbh, a gentle reminder that there is always someone worse off than you, good luck Wolfie [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Up The Albion!
I'd like to wish you and all your family all the very best. I sincerely hope your wife continues to feel better. Like you said in your original post nothing else really doesn't matter. Politics or football even. All that matters is that the people you love have their health. All the very best.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'd like to wish you and all your family all the very best. I sincerely hope your wife continues to feel better. Like you said in your original post nothing else really doesn't matter. Politics or football even. All that matters is that the people you love have their health. All the very best.
Well said.

Also sending love and best thoughts to darkwolf.

(Your posts will be helpful in a small way to other people going through similar experiences and hopefully in a big way to everyone else who should benefit from your insight.)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Such good news mate. Sometimes it’s just to go through it all a day at a time especially with the mental scars that are always there. Mrs Q is recovering after her latest operation in her fight against bowel cancer but we both commented that this morning the sun is shining… All the best to your brave wife…….. and also to yourself old chap

I missed this thread the first time around. Yet here it is today, which seems almost karma like. My wife and I sat in a consultants room at Addenbrookes yesterday afternoon being given the news that she has a Type 4 brain tumour. It can't be operated on, as it is situated deep down in the middle of the brain (they were hesitant about doing a biopsy, but Addenbrookes has some of the best in the world at this sort of thing, so it was done last week). There is no cure, the only option now is for her to undergo radio and/or chemo therapy to try and slow it's inevitable progression. So to all of you keyboard warriors out there on both sides, giving it "Billy Big Bollocks" with your opinions and snide remarks , the OP is right. It doesn't really matter, not when you stop and think. People have differing opinions, that has always been the case, but some of the caustic bile on here is frankly ridiculous. Stop, look around, and cherish what you have because you never know when it will be cruelly ripped away.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Thanks for posting. I hope your wife continues her remission. Your post is a timely reminder of the continuing impact of covid on the vulnerable. Having now got covid and joking my entire household of six in isolation I can't begin to understand how tough things have been for you.

Best wishes to you all.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I missed this thread the first time around. Yet here it is today, which seems almost karma like. My wife and I sat in a consultants room at Addenbrookes yesterday afternoon being given the news that she has a Type 4 brain tumour. It can't be operated on, as it is situated deep down in the middle of the brain (they were hesitant about doing a biopsy, but Addenbrookes has some of the best in the world at this sort of thing, so it was done last week). There is no cure, the only option now is for her to undergo radio and/or chemo therapy to try and slow it's inevitable progression. So to all of you keyboard warriors out there on both sides, giving it "Billy Big Bollocks" with your opinions and snide remarks , the OP is right. It doesn't really matter, not when you stop and think. People have differing opinions, that has always been the case, but some of the caustic bile on here is frankly ridiculous. Stop, look around, and cherish what you have because you never know when it will be cruelly ripped away.

That is horrible news. I can't imagine what you must both be feeling. So sorry mate, all the very best.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Such good news mate. Sometimes it’s just to go through it all a day at a time especially with the mental scars that are always there. Mrs Q is recovering after her latest operation in her fight against bowel cancer but we both commented that this morning the sun is shining… All the best to your brave wife…….. and also to yourself old chap

Thank you for your comments, I hope Mrs Q’s prognosis is good and you have some hope.

It’s amazing what a difference a bit of sunshine makes to the spirit.

Take care and stay strong!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I am so so sorry to hear your news. No amount of platitudes will change the way you feel. Probably the worst thing for me was a feeling of guilt, guilt for the fact no one was asking how I felt, I was almost jealous of the attention my wife was getting. I know sounds ridiculous, but it was how I felt, I wanted to stand in the middle of the room and say “what about me”.

The daft thing is I have one of those state issued bowel cancer test kits in a drawer in my bathroom, but I don’t want to take the test, just in case it IS about me!

All the best, to you both.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
“All I hope is that anyone reading this can just stop for a minute, please don’t feel sorry for us, enjoy your freedoms, as it has been a long time coming, but please just spare us and all the vulnerable a thought.”

:thumbsup:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am so so sorry to hear your news. No amount of platitudes will change the way you feel. Probably the worst thing for me was a feeling of guilt, guilt for the fact no one was asking how I felt, I was almost jealous of the attention my wife was getting. I know sounds ridiculous, but it was how I felt, I wanted to stand in the middle of the room and say “what about me”.

The daft thing is I have one of those state issued bowel cancer test kits in a drawer in my bathroom, but I don’t want to take the test, just in case it IS about me!

Sorry to read about BP and this post is bang on and you can’t feel guilty.

Back in 2010 my wife was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer in her eye while she was 20 weeks pregnant with twins. It was grim. To cut a very long story short we were incredibly lucky and decisions made meant the twins arrived safely and my wife is still doing okay now. The purpose of this post is that for 18 months I lost the ability to have any proper emotions. Whether it was joy or anger or sorrow - anything. I just bottled it all up trying to be the rock for my wife and 1 year old. But late in 2011 when the girls were about 18 months and my son was 3 I basically lost my shit. I had no idea what was going on and it was essentially a breakdown. I had focussed so much on trying to care for everyone else that I forgot to look after myself. I put on one hell of a good show and none of my mates had any idea. Eventually I spoke to the experts and reasonably quickly I got my life sorted. I will never forget the feeling of complete helplessness when it hit me. I was having a coffee in st James park in London. Bosh.

Now I have all my emotions back, in fact I get more emotional than I ever used to.

I hope you both manage to get any help or support you need. As someone said to me “it is impossible to always be the one offering support as we all need to be given some now and then”

All the best.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sorry to read about BP and this post is bang on and you can’t feel guilty.

Back in 2010 my wife was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer in her eye while she was 20 weeks pregnant with twins. It was grim. To cut a very long story short we were incredibly lucky and decisions made meant the twins arrived safely and my wife is still doing okay now. The purpose of this post is that for 18 months I lost the ability to have any proper emotions. Whether it was joy or anger or sorrow - anything. I just bottled it all up trying to be the rock for my wife and 1 year old. But late in 2011 when the girls were about 18 months and my son was 3 I basically lost my shit. I had no idea what was going on and it was essentially a breakdown. I had focussed so much on trying to care for everyone else that I forgot to look after myself. I put on one hell of a good show and none of my mates had any idea. Eventually I spoke to the experts and reasonably quickly I got my life sorted. I will never forget the feeling of complete helplessness when it hit me. I was having a coffee in st James park in London. Bosh.

Now I have all my emotions back, in fact I get more emotional than I ever used to.

I hope you both manage to get any help or support you need. As someone said to me “it is impossible to always be the one offering support as we all need to be given some now and then”

All the best.

We all often spend too much time on these boards, fighting and arguing and often being mean spirited to people (guilty in the past) without usually having a clue what makes them into the person they are.

I hope anyone who is going through something similar to the stories on here find some solace in knowing they are not alone, and there are some genuinely caring people on here.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I totally get your feeling of ‘hey what about me’……… Of all the enquiries and messages I get from friends and family about my wife’s condition there has only been one person who has continuously enquired about me…. It’s easier to say that on here to people in the main I don’t really know. You have to be strong for others as well as your partner. Mrs Q is angry she has had to miss the last 3’home games, bless her.

Last edited:

To all of you who have expressed such kind thoughts this morning. Many thanks and good luck with your respective battles. I completely get what you say about bottling it in. As an ex-squaddie that always used to be my default setting. Then I went through a bit of a tough time and I learnt that "manning up" was not the best course and to quote the old BT add "It's good to talk". This whole process from first realising something was wrong to yesterday afternoon has taken quite a time, and throughout that I have been lucky enough to have friends who always make sure they check in on my welfare, not just my wife's. And I totally get what Questions says about it being easier to say something on here in an anonymous setting, rather than face to face, but I guess that goes back to what I said before about not keeping it in.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Up The Albion!

Glad to see you back on NSC , just after Christmas I thought about you and how things have gone , didn't realise your last post was 2 years ago.

I totally empathise with you , my wife had Lymphoma but in her case the Chemo did not work so she had CAR-T treatment just under two years ago. That was scary as it had only just been signed off for the NHS to use but it has worked and she is clear. In retrospect it was nowhere near as scary (for me) as her catching COVID and her going back into hospital on her own then having a call from the ICU doctors to be prepared for the worse, luckily she pulled through. So keep that in mind when things are at their lowest - there is light at the end of the tunnel so don't give up. We have just done a 5k walk at the back of Portslade a small distance for many but when you have had long COVID for months and walking up the steps is hard its a big victory.

Keep your spirits up..

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Glad to see you back on NSC , just after Christmas I thought about you and how things have gone , didn't realise your last post was 2 years ago.

I totally empathise with you , my wife had Lymphoma but in her case the Chemo did not work so she had CAR-T treatment just under two years ago. That was scary as it had only just been signed off for the NHS to use but it has worked and she is clear. In retrospect it was nowhere near as scary (for me) as her catching COVID and her going back into hospital on her own then having a call from the ICU doctors to be prepared for the worse, luckily she pulled through. So keep that in mind when things are at their lowest - there is light at the end of the tunnel so don't give up. We have just done a 5k walk at the back of Portslade a small distance for many but when you have had long COVID for months and walking up the steps is hard its a big victory.

Keep your spirits up..

Thank you, it’s not actually been 2 years since I last posted, I gave up arguing with some of the Covidiots that were on these boards and took a sabbatical, for my sanity!

We have been getting out for a daily walk, weather permitting, and are currently doing the 1000 miles in a year challenge, sounds a lot but only works out around 2.75 miles a day. There are days we miss the walk, but we then make it up with our favourite walk from Reculver Roman Fort and Towers, to Minnis Bay, counting the Cormorants as we go! We are hoping to hit the target around the end of March.

To be honest the walking is probably the only thing that keeps us all going, mentally and physically.

I hope you are both keeping as well as can be, long Covid aside.

Take care.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thanks for posting, mate. You know where I am. Omicron is a fast spreading little piss weasel, still a threat to your missus, but down several notches down from the predecessors, and the next variant (Rodger, Susan, Zebulon?) will be even more contagious but less nasty.

Very best wishes, from points East :thumbsup:

Thanks Harry. I’ve missed your turn of phrase - piss weasel indeed.

I hope you are right about the severity factor, just a little scared to put it to the test with my wife’s health!

Just maybe we might actually be able to get together for that drink sometime this year, suitably distanced obviously.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thank you, it’s not actually been 2 years since I last posted, I gave up arguing with some of the Covidiots that were on these boards and took a sabbatical, for my sanity!

We have been getting out for a daily walk, weather permitting, and are currently doing the 1000 miles in a year challenge, sounds a lot but only works out around 2.75 miles a day. There are days we miss the walk, but we then make it up with our favourite walk from Reculver Roman Fort and Towers, to Minnis Bay, counting the Cormorants as we go! We are hoping to hit the target around the end of March.

To be honest the walking is probably the only thing that keeps us all going, mentally and physically.

I hope you are both keeping as well as can be, long Covid aside.

Take care.

Had to look it up. Realised I don't think I have been to that part of the country- must do that one day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks Harry. I’ve missed your turn of phrase - piss weasel indeed.

I hope you are right about the severity factor, just a little scared to put it to the test with my wife’s health!

Just maybe we might actually be able to get together for that drink sometime this year, suitably distanced obviously.

I'm full of it. Er, Them. Turns of phrase, I mean :wink:

No indeed, best not start mucking about before the potential risk of jeopardy is unequivocally dismissable.

In the meantime, you may find NSC to be a filip again. There is some great positive threads about the Albion, and the 'Potter-outers' appear to have slithered down the back of their sofas. The music threads are great, and there are some very funny and clever people emboldened to post these days, with the old school dunderheads largely bouncing on the bottom of the pit. I don't bother much with the Covid threads any more, and the political threads are mostly Boris bashing. The worst numpties have been banished now anyway. And at the end of the day, the foolish don't mean to be thoughtless, and the thoughtless don't mean to be foolish, so there is no reason to take offence, and there is always the ignore function, of course, when posters start causing unrest. I have been experimenting with unblocking people lately, with some pleasing and surprising outcomes. Also it seems there are quite a few folk recently ( last few years) diagnosed as 'on the spectrum' so there has been an increasing amount of understanding and give and take. Some kindness, even.

There will be something chilled or warm, possibly both, waiting on our patio when you are ready to venture out.

My very best wishes to you, the missus and family, as always :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here