Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It does pay...............

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Great news Tony.:thumbsup:
Treat Rose to a night out to celebrate. The poor girl deserves it for putting up with you for so long.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
really pleased for you mate, glad to hear things worked out for you.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
To work hard and never give up!

Not to many people know this, but pretty much all my life I was in construction (Private Housing, senior manager blah blah blah) I, like many people, sadly got made redundant 5 years ago, from a job I really thought I would be in till retirement. I have tried many different things, and I must say I really thought I was on the scrap heap.

Just under 4 months ago I applied for a job I just never thought I would get an interview for, let alone get the job, it was fast tracking to be a manager of a bookmaker's (those that disagree with gambling please move on now) I don't even gamble! well I got the interview and got the position on the basis that if I did not pass the course I was out on my ear, well its been 3.5 months, some / most days I have worked 14 hours.

By my regional managers comments at the interview, it is a hard slog and a vast amount to learn, but my previous history basically got me the chance.

About 30 minutes ago, my boss contacted me (I am on a day off today and tomorrow) and said I have passed with flying colours, I also now have my own shop in a very good part of Cardiff :) sorry for the self indulgent thread, but I do still have a mortgage to pay and to say I am happy is probably the biggest understatement ever! :)

My moral is, and I appreciate there are many people on here who have suffered redundancy and unemployment, just don't ever give up!

Like all good news, It's followed by bad...........just been informed a very good friend of mine has just died :(

End of thread.....sorry........

Like you, then, have been in construction all my life about half the time in house building as a QS. Couple of redundancies but luckily never been out of work and drawn dole.
Think the industry does give you a good background in management etc..

Good luck with new job.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Congrats Tony. :smile:

Thanks Steve, again must meet up and have a pint at the Amex mate :thumbsup:

Good one T.

What are the odds on Palace to be relegated?

Cheers K, ummm in all honesty they are 1/6 on to win the Premiership (see my post on my tip to my son :lol: we will be waving to them as we go up and they go down!!! :) )

Like you, then, have been in construction all my life about half the time in house building as a QS. Couple of redundancies but luckily never been out of work and drawn dole.
Think the industry does give you a good background in management etc..

Good luck with new job.

Thank you, I am the wrong side of 21 now which is why I am so elated, but thanks and hope the industry is kind to you, I deffo wont be going back into it, shame as I have over 25 years experience, all out the window, I won every building award going (NHBC Top 100, site manager of the year etc etc) in the mid 90s, and was a training site manager for Barretts, Redrow and Persimmon Homes, the latter I ended up as Regional Operations Manager, only 2 of us in the country! (I started out as a Bricklayer) and wont be passing any experience on sadly, and I know many guys my age group who are doing the same. its the industry that suffers!

Wish you all the best though, and again thanks :thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Congratulations and a great example of what can be achieved if you never give up.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Well done Hitony.

I know redundancy can really knock your confidence, particularly when you have a lot of responsibilities. Years ago, I had a lucky hat trick of them starting when HSBC took over Midland. I thought i'd covered myself in the next position with a 12 month rolling contract with a large financial institution. They then went into administration owing me 12 months salary ! and I then topped it off with taking a small salary and large options on a .com startup that went bust (All the time having a large mortgage and small children).

But as you've proved, get yourself up, dust yourself down and go for it again and it can work out well :thumbsup:.

I think a big well done to you is called for too!

(PS it's just as expensive when you have a small mortgage and large children) :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here