Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"It all evens itself up over the Season"

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
If injuries count as bad luck aswell, then things are certainly not 'Evening' themselves up for us this season so far are they?!

Double that with the fact that Refs seem to be consistently ruling that handballs don't count agaisnt us this season(Leeds winner, Derby block, and another in the Ipswich game)

When was the last time we were awarded a penalty? can't even remember....

All I can say is I hope Oscar doesn't turn his hand to gambling, as he would be bankrupt in no time.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If injuries count as bad luck aswell, then things are certainly not 'Evening' themselves up for us this season so far are they?!

Double that with the fact that Refs seem to be consistently ruling that handballs don't count agaisnt us this season(Leeds winner, Derby block, and another in the Ipswich game)

When was the last time we were awarded a penalty? can't even remember....

All I can say is I hope Oscar doesn't turn his hand to gambling, as he would be bankrupt in no time.

Injuries are part of sport though. Are we going to award ourselves positive good luck points for all the players that haven't been injured so far this year?

As for penalties, we haven't had one for OR against us yet this season.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Injuries are part of sport though. Are we going to award ourselves positive good luck points for all the players that haven't been injured so far this year?

As for penalties, we haven't had one for OR against us yet this season.

Of course injuries are part of sport - You would not agree that we have had more than our fair share this season no?? and to our 3 best players?!

Was just a question regards the penalties, i think it was Barnsley away last March, which we missed of course.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes; the golfer's skill in assessing the green and using a putter are the only factors. It is obviously very skilful to get it so close, but not quite skilful enough. It would only be bad luck if a seismic event knocked the ball off course just as it was about to role into the cup.

Coincidentally enough, the quote 'the more I practice; the luckier I get' was attributed to a famous American golfer (Arnold Palmer??).

I thought it was the famous British Golfer, Tony Jacklin.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A 46 match season is too short for all luck to even out. A 92 match season would even out more luck, but not as much as a 184 match season etc. etc.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Think it was Gary Player

I've just googled it, and it seems to have been attributed to any number of people, including Arnold Palmer, Tony Jacklin and Gary Player, but also Tom Watson and Lee Trevino. IF Arnold palmer said it, he probably said it first..... although Gary Player was around at the same time.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yes; the golfer's skill in assessing the green and using a putter are the only factors. It is obviously very skilful to get it so close, but not quite skilful enough. It would only be bad luck if a seismic event knocked the ball off course just as it was about to role into the cup.

Coincidentally enough, the quote 'the more I practice; the luckier I get' was attributed to a famous American golfer (Arnold Palmer??).

Gary Player, South African

C

CT1

Birmingham hitting the bar twice.
Reading's forward being sent off when Lua Lua wasn't touched for his first yellow
Handball away at Ipswich where we should of got a pen.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Birmingham hitting the bar twice.
Reading's forward being sent off when Lua Lua wasn't touched for his first yellow
Handball away at Ipswich where we should of got a pen.

How is hitting the bar 'lucky' either way? It doesn't even count as an official shot on target.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Think this thread needs a bounce tonight. A good example of a bit of luck going our way with the decision on that ball crossing the line. Let's hope it continues!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Think this thread needs a bounce tonight. A good example of a bit of luck going our way with the decision on that ball crossing the line. Let's hope it continues!

Apart from the fact that their goal was bad luck on us. so IF the ball crossed the line then that evened it up.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
So how do we think this is going now?

In the last 3 or 4 games, things seem to have taken a little upturn for us.

Winning and scoring a dodgy Penalty agaisnt Millwall
Getting gifted with the own goal by Reading defender
Counterbalanced of course by the unlucky sending off for GG

Then two very good defensive displays agaisnt QPR/Bolton and getting our just deserts from those games. The Bolton disallowed goal, QPR not finishing some of their first half chances.
Just getting the feeling that a few of those 50/50 moments in matches have just started turning in our favour.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So how do we think this is going now?

In the last 3 or 4 games, things seem to have taken a little upturn for us.

Winning and scoring a dodgy Penalty agaisnt Millwall
Getting gifted with the own goal by Reading defender
Counterbalanced of course by the unlucky sending off for GG

Then two very good defensive displays agaisnt QPR/Bolton and getting our just deserts from those games. The Bolton disallowed goal, QPR not finishing some of their first half chances.
Just getting the feeling that a few of those 50/50 moments in matches have just started turning in our favour.

Don't let the wins cloud your judgement. We've had a mystery virus going through the squad and utterly shite refereeing performances against Reading and QPR.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Don't let the wins cloud your judgement. We've had a mystery virus going through the squad and utterly shite refereeing performances against Reading and QPR.

Good point, it is alot easier to feel that things are going our way when we are winning.
Just felt that earlier in the season the way things were going , Bolton's goal could have ending up standing and QPR would have scored a flukey defelcted goal with one of their many 25 yards shots.

Mystery Virus? Upson you mean?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm surprised the penalty 'Hoops' awarded Bournemouth earlier in the season didn't get a mention on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here