Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isle of Man TT - why is this still allowed?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
To go back to the OPs question, The IOM like the Channel Islands is linked to the Crown but is independent of the Westminster Parliament. They have their own Parliament and only comform to UK law if they want to. I assume the H & S laws they have either rejected or modified to suit themselves.

Lots of closed roads racing in Northern Ireland so don't that think is correct - more likely is that 'H & S Laws' apply to workplaces and not willing participants in motor sports?

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Lots of closed roads racing in Northern Ireland so don't that think is correct - more likely is that 'H & S Laws' apply to workplaces and not willing participants in motor sports?

Went to the Isle of Man with the kids a few years ago whilst one of the races was on - kids were playing in a playground in Ramsey right next motorbikes haring around at great speed a la monaco grand prix- it was crazy. The Isle of Man is a competely separate country with its own law so can do as it damn well likes - theres no speed limit on the out of town roads for example. Its not even in the EEC, so doesnt need to abide by any of our health and safety legislation.

The fatalities amongst contestants is, I believe, exceeded by those of the bikers who come not only to watch the races but to ride the circuit themselves. I have a friend who goes and he told me of one fatal incident he just came upon as he rode round, one of seven that year (possibly 2011). He said "we stopped briefly then just rode on". I think the carnage is unacceptable, and does nothing for the island's reputation.

http://www.gov.im/transport/msd/healthandsafety/legislation.xml

"The Isle of Man has adopted health and safety legislation that differs from that in use in the UK. Whilst there is a great deal of similarity in the primary Act, The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 as applied to the Island by Order, many of the regulations have been drafted locally. Others are amended versions of legislation that applies in the UK".

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I have worked on the Isle of Man and can confirm that H&S is about 15-20 years behind the rest of the UK. Having worked on many sites in the UK it was both a surprise and shock to see what goes on in the IOM especially on civil construction sites. Lovely place though!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't mean to turn this into a Daily Mail H&S rant.

Why do they do it? Because they are adrenalin junkies.

How are they able to do it? Because the IoM firstly needs the income the TT provides, and secondly has the balls to tell H&S to go Google themselves.

There are many analogies that can be drawn - mountaineering, single handed long distance sailing, hang gliding - all pursuits with a higher than average chance of serious injury. Long may it continue, unless you want personal freedoms to be constantly eroded.

they haven't bypassed H&S, they have done everything to minimise risk and observe safe practice which is the point of H&S. people die in just about any past time. people die playing football, sadly. life is dangerous.
People do die in many organised sporting events, but those deaths are not taken lightly.
The governing bodies do what they can to prevent further loss of life.
Cyclists wear helmets, boxers wear gloves, prem football grounds look like a MASH unit (since that Spurs game).

Later will will google search deaths in MotoGP, Superbikes et al, meetings and I will be very surprised if those numbers come close to IoM TT deaths.
Hence the original question.

There's no need to take the pi$$.
Can i just say,i have enjoyed many of your recent threads.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Luckily for Manx people they are not in the UK or the EU.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that the deal.

The desire to do it and the revenue it generates.
V
The lack of legislation and desire to change/stop it.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
As said I don't wish to tread on the toes of this boards TT fans, I'd just like to know how they are able to bypass H&S.

If the rumours are to believed, then the spectators that were injured were on a temporary unofficial scaffold 'grandstand' in someones private front garden. The majority of the injuries were not caused by being hit by the bike, they were caused when the structure collapsed.

Anyone owning property or land within the 'restricted areas' around the course are required to agree to this designation and the resultant insurance implications and threat of prosecution if spectators are killed or injured whilst on their land, but many fail to do so.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I have the same feelings about boxing. If neither existed, it would seem remarkable that either would be 'allowed'. I love both but you know that the next disaster is not long coming.

Most TT racers keep something back. By that I mean they don't quite go 10 10ths. You don't see the same 'incidents' you see on road races i.e. high sides and knees/elbows preventing low sides.

There's no shortage of riders or spectators despite the terrible risks. This chap still races. It is the most stomach churning off I've ever seen.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
I have the same feelings about boxing. If neither existed, it would seem remarkable that either would be 'allowed'. I love both but you know that the next disaster is not long coming.

Most TT racers keep something back. By that I mean they don't quite go 10 10ths. You don't see the same 'incidents' you see on road races i.e. high sides and knees/elbows preventing low sides.

There's no shortage of riders or spectators despite the terrible risks. This chap still races. It is the most stomach churning off I've ever seen.

Connor survived this spectacular crash and still races around the TT course. Madman.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
I cannot comment on what happened yesterday as we escaped to Turkey for the past seven days. What little i have read is the spectators were on scaffolding on private land and that some may have life changing injuries. This came from a local lawyer who posted on the Manx forums.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
They are all consenting Adults make the choice to ride for themselves.
Admittedly it is about being an adrenaline junkie but the safer you make things the harder this type of personality will push the boundaries.
Someone once said roads would be safer if we got rid of seat belts & fitted a six inch spike in the center of the steering wheel tipped with poison.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have no knowledge of 2 wheels & a motor, to the point that I've never even sat on a motorbike.

I'm not trying to be controversial here, it's a genuine question, based on the fact that just one death at an organised sporting event, sends regulatory bodies into a tailspin.
As an outsider looking in, the only thing I know about the TT is, it kills people.

This story caught my eye:-

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/motorsports-spectators-injured-isle-man-crash-144248300.html

and fortunately the closing paragraph saved me from the next obvious follow-on google search

The TT races, which draw throngs of bikers to the island, are generally regarded as the most dangerous in motorcycling with 240 rider fatalities since 1907.
The latest was 43-year-old Japanese Yoshinari Matsushita, who was killed in practice last week. He was the 21st to die at the circuit since 2000.

As said I don't wish to tread on the toes of this boards TT fans, I'd just like to know how they are able to bypass H&S.

You really need to get a bike with a motor, you would soon ditch the manpower version, there is NO other feeling on this planet than riding a motorbike.

As for the TT yes they are very near to mad but if your going die there is no better way to go than on a bike, it's just terrible for all there families.

It's a drug.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
The TT is amazing, Been the last two years, could not go this year, wish I had as the weather they have had this year is so good for it!

OP, Shit happens end of. "Could get run over by a bus or hit by a bike on the TT course I know what I'd rather have. They are fans. You think they would want it banned? They know it's not safe.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
So are we going to ban crossing the road cos that is far more dangerous than the TT.

Why don't you (Stat Bruv) bring this up at a motorbike rally rather than NSC. I will pull up a chair and enjoy watching you get ripped to ****ing pieces.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Is it "Mad Sunday" when they close the roads and let any old amateur biker hurtle round the course. At a guess, I'd say that is when most of the fatalities occur, rather than on the actual TT races with the professional riders.

At the end of the day, it a "consenting adults" thing for me. No-one is being forced to risk their life doing this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here