Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Isle of Man TT Race 2022

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
In a macabre way people flock to the TT racing to see people pushing themselves on machines at deathly speeds, in the hope they see a crash. If that prospect was taken out of the equation to see a life changing or fatal crash, I would imagine the crowds would not travel from all around the world in the thousands to see the TT races.

Not sure what that tells you about the people that participate and watch, not my cup of tea to be fair, but then neither is any form of motor racing car or bike, seems as boring as golf to me.

I absolutely want to go and see the TT but I have no hope to see an off, my most sincere hope is that I witness people racing right at the edge, not over it, and all returning safely.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
A few lay-person comments calling for a ban? Shirley it's boxing first where the primary objective is to knock your opponents head off?

Conor Cummins went over the edge at the Veranda on the mountain back in 2010 - listen carefully to his comments.
He's a Manxman who still lives and races at the IOM

As an aside. I raced 1979-1987 - got married in 87 and first born was 90 - so bike racing was off my agenda when the family came along ...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I agree. An absolutely absurd situation that a road race continues and is open to amateurs riding at 2.5 times over the motorway speed limit around sharp bends on a small island. People die and will continue to do so. Mental. It should be stopped.

I think you find that many of the riders are pros or semi pros.

Motor Racing is dangerous, so people will either be injured or killed now and again.

Everyone that competes wants to be there, it should not be stopped...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I absolutely want to go and see the TT but I have no hope to see an off, my most sincere hope is that I witness people racing right at the edge, not over it, and all returning safely.

Not been for the full TT, but did the Classic TT a few years back. Well worth the trip (and a lot fewer crashes / deaths associated with that event from memory). Smaller crowds, too, so it's easier to get around and watch from various locations.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you find that many of the riders are pros or semi pros.

Motor Racing is dangerous, so people will either be injured or killed now and again.

Everyone that competes wants to be there, it should not be stopped...
And many riders are amateurs. :shrug:

Saying that the riders want to be there is not a convincing argument, IMO. And what about the ambulance crews? They probably don't want to be picking up decapitated heads, but I doubt they have much choice. Every single year, at least one person dies, usually 2 or 3. The course is not fit for this purpose.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
And many riders are amateurs. :shrug:

Saying that the riders want to be there is not a convincing argument, IMO. And what about the ambulance crews? They probably don't want to be picking up decapitated heads, but I doubt they have much choice. Every single year, at least one person dies, usually 2 or 3. The course is not fit for this purpose.

Well if you are a IOM TT Paramedic there is every chance you will have to see a fatality. More likely to see a dead Punter on the Course during Race Week.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My point, precisely.

I'm not sure what we are arguing about. FIM stopped it being a World Champs Round many years ago so there is absolutely no need to race there, but quite clearly lots of Riders want to.
Paramedics must see all sorts of shit in their everyday lives or do you think the IOM is fatality free outside of TT Week?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here