Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Islamic state offensive taking over Ramadi

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
No doubt Blair and Bush started the shit fight but Cameron could have withdrawn troops at any time over the last four years......billions of pounds down the crapper.. History shows that the middle east has been at war for thousands of years , the good old U.S of A thought that with a little help from it's allies it could bounce into the region and put it all to rest........most Americans would still put Mosul in the Middle of Algeria if you gave them a blank map.......the fact that Blair was dragged along quite happily with the yanks was a bad error of judgement.......the fact Cameron has not severed the ties is equally bad judgement.........this brings us to the debate of wether we let them " wipe each other out" or intervene at enormous cost , both monetary and culturally......only imho of course old chap.....!

Plenty of Americans know a lot about Iraq. Lots of them have been there, and lots have not come back. Lots of them have families. Iraq is still big news and of significant interest in the US. Jeb Bush's recent pronouncements are a major talking point right now. I always find the digs about American parochialism (insert percentage of passport holders here for irrefutable proof they are dumb if you like, despite the fact we only have to travel 20 odd miles to get to a foreign country and we can drive through half a dozen in a day) more telling about British insecurity than anything else.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Plenty of Americans know a lot about Iraq. Lots of them have been there, and lots have not come back. Lots of them have families. Iraq is still big news and of significant interest in the US. Jeb Bush's recent pronouncements are a major talking point right now. I always find the digs about American parochialism (insert percentage of passport holders here for irrefutable proof they are dumb if you like, despite the fact we only have to travel 20 odd miles to get to a foreign country and we can drive through half a dozen in a day) more telling about British insecurity than anything else.

Jeb Bush is trying to shift the blame on Obama’s foreign policy for the trouble in the Middle East :facepalm:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
i was talking about bringing our lads home wasn't i.....???

Well that’s a smart idea then. Send our lads out into the middle of a sectarian war, with many sides to the conflict, when we are not liked by any of them let alone able to speak their language ??? The Iraq government doesn't even want our troops there so I would love to see your detailed war plan and negotiating power to facilitate this before I am convinced :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Well that’s a smart idea then. Send our lads out into the middle of a sectarian war, with many sides to the conflict, when we are not liked by any of them let alone able to speak their language ??? The Iraq government doesn't even want our troops there so I would love to see your detailed war plan and negotiating power to facilitate this before I am convinced :lolol:

my detailed war plan , albeit that of a hairy arsed carpenter , would be to withdraw our troops and let the locals sort it out for themselves , i would cease ALL refugee/asylum seeker entry to the uk and would have our troops defending our own borders..........laughable that only 600 kms from ramadi BP has major oil exploration projects going on currently........snafu......are you familiar with that saying mate...??? the whole situation has blown up ( pardon the pun) into something completely unforseen and is now getting close to completely out of control , there is talk of nuclear capability being thrown around in the press.......like i say....it is a complete clusterfvck and a no win situation for our troops.

imho of course.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
my detailed war plan , albeit that of a hairy arsed carpenter , would be to withdraw our troops and let the locals sort it out for themselves , i would cease ALL refugee/asylum seeker entry to the uk and would have our troops defending our own borders..........laughable that only 600 kms from ramadi BP has major oil exploration projects going on currently........snafu......are you familiar with that saying mate...??? the whole situation has blown up ( pardon the pun) into something completely unforseen and is now getting close to completely out of control , there is talk of nuclear capability being thrown around in the press.......like i say....it is a complete clusterfvck and a no win situation for our troops.

imho of course.

I'm getting mixed messages from you. One minute you are saying "it will only be the intervention that finishes it" then you are saying we should "withdraw our troops and let the locals sort it out for themselves". Cameron withdrew our troops in 2011 and we are letting the locals sort it out, so your point is lost on me ??? Tell me more about this nulear capability, and who are you refering this to?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm getting mixed messages from you. One minute you are saying "it will only be the intervention that finishes it" then you are saying we should "withdraw our troops and let the locals sort it out for themselves". Cameron withdrew our troops in 2011 and we are letting the locals sort it out, so your point is lost on me ??? Tell me more about this nulear capability, and who are you refering this to?

you have misread me there mate.....i said "it will only be the intervention that finishes , not the age old problem of underlying hostilities between the clans/sects/tribes" or words to those effects .....you have put an "it" in where there weren't one.....there is an ISIS expert called Tim kilcullen he has just published a paper saying that isis could soon gain nuclear capability via iran and if this starts to look much more likely / imminent the odds of Israel getting itchy fingers in the nuclear department are pretty high.....google him if you can be arsed.....i have to apologise , i was under the impression that there were still British troops in Iraq ......a mate of mine who works for BP in Iraq says there are " hundreds" of troops in the vicinity of where he is working and also "hundreds" of ex-military body-gaurd/security types...! hopes this clears the confusion ,i was starting to wonder what you were on about as well...:laugh:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
you have misread me there mate.....i said "it will only be the intervention that finishes , not the age old problem of underlying hostilities between the clans/sects/tribes" or words to those effects .....you have put an "it" in where there weren't one.....there is an ISIS expert called Tim kilcullen he has just published a paper saying that isis could soon gain nuclear capability via iran and if this starts to look much more likely / imminent the odds of Israel getting itchy fingers in the nuclear department are pretty high.....google him if you can be arsed.....i have to apologise , i was under the impression that there were still British troops in Iraq ......a mate of mine who works for BP in Iraq says there are " hundreds" of troops in the vicinity of where he is working and also "hundreds" of ex-military body-gaurd/security types...! hopes this clears the confusion ,i was starting to wonder what you were on about as well...:laugh:
Iran are shia who are bitter enemies of ISIS who are sunni.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Iran are shia who are bitter enemies of ISIS who are sunni.

That is certainly why Iran would not provide IS with nuclear capability.

It's a right mess. Sunni Iraqi Gov is using the Iraqi Shia Militia, funded by Iran, to fight IS. Shia Iran is working with Sunni Saudi Arabia to fight IS. Sunni Turkey and Jordan wait. Israel poised to strike.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That is certainly why Iran would not provide IS with nuclear capability.

It's a right mess. Sunni Iraqi Gov is using the Iraqi Shia Militia, funded by Iran, to fight IS. Shia Iran is working with Sunni Saudi Arabia to fight IS. Sunni Turkey and Jordan wait. Israel poised to strike.

ok ....if you can be bothered googling him he was on the box for 15 minutes last night , i was on my second bottle of cab sav so obviously got the wrong end of the stick...again..!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

That's cleared that up a bit. Any of our lads out there are not front line though, they are training the Iraqi army, and I am sure your friend would rather have British security around him than not. As others have alluded to, the Shia Iran hate the Sunni who are ISIS so I don’t see the nuclear connection. Iran don’t have nuclear bomb capabilities anyway, they are working on nuclear power stations. Can't find anything on Tim kilcullen, do you have a link?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here