Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ISIS: It appears the 2nd Japanese hostage has been murdered

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
It's often you who picks up on others "jokey type comments" as being insensitive etc, and you do the above!

Try practicing what you preach maybe?.........

No, JATGH is always the jokey poster, I would be very surprised if he ever found humour insensitive.
I love ya James!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the time has come for a coalition of 50000 ground troops to wipe the scum out

Not sure where we would drop them off, and if we did, the only thing they would be defending is the military complex they live in. My way of thinking is that it would just give IS another target to practice on.

We don't seem to be getting much information on the airstrikes that are being carried out. It's almost like this part is purposely being played down in the media, and when we consider that we were fed airstrike videos in both Iraq wars and in Bosnia there seems to be a turnaround in that type of broadcasting.

We may be making better progress than we think.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Not sure where we would drop them off, and if we did, the only thing they would be defending is the military complex they live in. My way of thinking is that it would just give IS another target to practice on.

We don't seem to be getting much information on the airstrikes that are being carried out. It's almost like this part is purposely being played down in the media, and when we consider that we were fed airstrike videos in both Iraq wars and in Bosnia there seems to be a turnaround in that type of broadcasting.

We may be making better progress than we think.

Hopefully we are making progress and the media are not being informed. With the public beheadings and the countries they are upsetting with the people they have slaughtered, they must be making many enemies.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
If you can find a post I've made recently where I have made such criticisms then I'll take your point. I think you're thinking of someone else. Also, I don't think it was insensitive; I was merely highlighting the absurdity of the comment suggesting that there is some sort of shortage of readily available suicide bombers.
Never said there was a shortage just that they are valuable. Very valuable.

If I said there was a shortage of suicide bombs, people would think that was absurd. 'there is loads of bombs ready to be blown up'.

What about a shortage of experts to put the bombs together? Maybe that would be absurd.

If I said there was a shortage of targets, people would think that was absurd also.

So why are we not hearing of suicide bombs going off several times a day? Why did AQI and now IS treat their volunteers with such reverence?

Just food for thought.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
For anybody interested in a seriously informed opinion of how to combat ISIS, here's an excellent article from a leading expert in the field.

http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/ar...ans-and-how-it-can-help-in-the-fight-against-

A précis of her conclusions are that the diverse cultures of the ISIS fighters especially those from softer Western backgrounds is an Achilles Heel that should be exploited along with ISIS needs to micro-manage. It's probably the first proper analysis outside the main media sources that I've read.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Further to that article, it's interesting to note that this week the Army announced the formation of a unit specifically designed to take the war to social media.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/31/british-army-facebook-warriors-77th-brigade

Presumably this unit would undertake the kind of psychological warfare that the article I linked to earlier makes mention of. They'd make a big play of how shit life is under ISIS, even for the Jihadis. From the article:

"...In letters published by the newspaper Le Figaro, complaints included being bored, “I’ve basically done nothing except hand out clothes and food,” annoyed, “I’m fed up. They make me do the dishes,” and missing the comforts of life in France: “I’m fed up. My iPod doesn’t work any more here. I have to come back...”

This kind of message to the type of narcissistic young Muslim men in the West who are drawn to the lure of ISIS could be a very powerful deterrent.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
So what in your opinion is the best way to tackle this extremism. I'd like to think it could be done without our troops getting killed, but what do you think.
Ridicule is always a powerful weapon. New TV station, broadcasting God is Not Great and The God Delusion in Arabic. Hose down IS strongholds with a deluge of Special Brew and pork scratchings. Enormous herds of pot-bellied pigs to be parachuted onto their streets. Oh, and lots more cartoons.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Ridicule is always a powerful weapon. New TV station, broadcasting God is Not Great and The God Delusion in Arabic. Hose down IS strongholds with a deluge of Special Brew and pork scratchings. Enormous herds of pot-bellied pigs to be parachuted onto their streets. Oh, and lots more cartoons.

So you think Uncle S has been watching too many American films and you would probably stick with the cartoons.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
there seems to be a shouty minority amongst some politicians,some in the media, some on social networks and some religious leaders who are desperate to spread the word that those fighting for Islamic State are not religious in any way,or even Muslims

If this is the case and has been so far.......what on earth are Islamic State going to be like if real religious nutters turn up to fight for them.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
there seems to be a shouty minority amongst some politicians,some in the media, some on social networks and some religious leaders who are desperate to spread the word that those fighting for Islamic State are not religious in any way,or even Muslims

If this is the case and has been so far.......what on earth are Islamic State going to be like if real religious nutters turn up to fight for them.

I see it kicked off in Nigeria yesterday with those non religious non Muslim Boko Harem involved. Those that want an Islamic state.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I see it kicked off in Nigeria yesterday with those non religious non Muslim Boko Harem involved. Those that want an Islamic state.

yep another 12 innocent villagers dead due to the religion of peace.......but guess what Boko Harem are not religious and not even muslim according to some.

what a load of testicles!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here