Is YOUR livelihood threatened by Coronavirus (almost certainly a depressing thread)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I run an independent hospital. Three weeks ago I was paying £1.24 for a box of 50 surgical masks. On Friday last week I signed off an order at £52 a box.

Manufacturers and distributors of healthcare personal protective equipment will have fat wallets after all this.

That’s obscene. I really hope, that when the current crisis is over, it all comes back to bite these disgusting profiteers in the arse.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Working in independent healthcare I was very concerned that activity would drop due to many factors. On Friday I was told by Public Health England that we'll shortly be instructed to wind up all planned elective surgeries by Easter weekend, in preparation for the Department of Health to commandeer our hospitals for NHS use.

Not an ideal situation but makes complete sense that we contribute to the national effort. The NHS will be covering costs at the national tariff, and while it won't exactly be business as usual, all of our staff will keep their jobs

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Since someone will probably have to invent some enitrely new ways of supporting companies and individuals its too early to say anything really. If this takes a while I could see anything from tax cuts to basic income and other radical or unheard of measures. Its that or complete collapse.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
No, as I work in Supply Chain for a large company. Globally, all office based staff are working from home until further notice from Tuesday, so tomorrow is my last day to raid the staff shop. It will save me about £40 a week in fuel and lunch, but it's going to be challenging, especially with all the panic buying going on at the moment.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm a self-employed journalist. I work from home anyway so nothing has changed there. But the publications I write for are heavily funded by advertising and that's likely to fall through the floor in the coming months. I get a (very, very) small amount from rugby coaching but the signs are that's going to vanish now too. I've got enough work to keep me going for a month or so, but after that ... who knows?

We're going to tighten our belts for a bit and make what we've got last as long as possible. Fortunately, my mortgage is pretty low but there other bills to pay, I'm not sure what we're going to do about those.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
That’s obscene. I really hope, that when the current crisis is over, it all comes back to bite these disgusting profiteers in the arse.

It absolutely is obscene. They'll tell you that the market is amoral and that prices reflect current market forces, but there's a point at which you're taking the pi$$. It doesn't help that we're competing with major (non healthcare) corporations. I know for a fact that last week the London Stock Exchange spent £250,000 on masks for their employees in Asia, at the same time pushing prices up and taking valuable resources away from healthcare staff in a time of real crisis.

Wrong on so many levels.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I live in and run a pub with striptease dancers working nearly every day, and I'm 74. We've just had a really busy weekend, with more customers than I'd expected on Thursday, Frdiay and Saturday evenings.

We're working on a live stream version of lap dances so the girls can perform over the web. But the dancers don't seem much worried about the dangers of catching Coronavirus so at present they say that they'll simply carry on.

As for me I think the whole thing is becoming nonsense. I'll either catch the virus and probably die (I've got plenty of underlying health conditions exacerbated by 60 years of puffing away on cigarettes) or I won't. I certainly don't intend to waste my time worrying about it all.

Has really hit me today, being in the travel business, just how dire the future looks currently..

We have such a wide variety of professions covered by NSC

Is anybody feeling confident that their livelihood can ride this out? Let’s hear from you!

If any mods feel this is a thread too far, please delete

:down:

Yes, I am very concerned now. I work in aircraft component support, we rely on the industry running smoothly, as it stands, we could be struggling come the summer, which is a real concern as I don't work for a huge company with loads of funds on standby, so it's going to be squeaky bum time for a bit. Fingers crossed a vaccine is created ASAP and we can start to move to our normal lives. Part of me thinks, what is the huge fuss, its a flu that is harsher on your respiratory systems and knocks you out for a few days, however, another part of me thinks, we need to protect the vulnerable and elderly and these measures are a must. Our Government needs to act NOW. They seem to be waiting until it gets worse before they act, which is typical of the Tories. I'd like to see them start putting mass funding into temporary hospitals, equipment, nurses/doctorsm, sciences etc locking down city centres and guaranteeing investment for once this all finishes to get the economy back up and running and fast, like Hong Kong.

We have our part to play also. I won't be surprised if we hit a global recession either. I'm praying and hoping for a positive outcome.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I live in and run a pub with striptease dancers working nearly every day, and I'm 74. We've just had a really busy weekend, with more customers than I'd expected on Thursday, Frdiay and Saturday evenings.

We're working on a live stream version of lap dances so the girls can perform over the web. But the dancers don't seem much worried about the dangers of catching Coronavirus so at present they say that they'll simply carry on.

As for me I think the whole thing is becoming nonsense. I'll either catch the virus and probably die (I've got plenty of underlying health conditions exacerbated by 60 years of puffing away on cigarettes) or I won't. I certainly don't intend to waste my time worrying about it all.

Do you have any vacancies ???

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

My sister in law lives in High Wycombe, I am prepared to help your business and risk my health by popping in for a couple of pints.
The fact you have naked women in the pub is neither here nor there.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I'm 62 and work as a self-employed financial consultant to the airline industry.

With my airline clients all severely struggling, haemorrhaging cash and laying off staff, their first cost cutting measure has (understandably) been external contractors, including me. As a result, all of my employment contracts have now been mothballed until further notice, perhaps for good. Indeed, I think some of my clients may not survive the crisis.

Luckily, my wife and I have supplemental income via small pensions from former employers so we should be able to cope on that. Our lad is grown up and his job seems (relatively) safe at the moment so we've no dependents which will certainly ease the effect on us.

I feel terribly sorry for young parents whose jobs are at risk and who've got kids to feed, bills to pay, rent/mortgages to service and elderly parents to look after.

The world is going to change dramatically for a lot of people for the foreseeable future and I pray that society pulls together to help those most in need. My late parents used to tell me stories about the "Dunkirk spirit" they witnessed and in which they participated during WW2 and how they personally doubted if that would be replicated in a modern day crisis. I guess we'll find out during the coming months.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Boiler repairs/installs/plumbing - I know of some bathroom projects in Brighton that have been postponed, and others citing mask wearing by trades as a requirement going forward.

Otherwise If you WFH more, then boiler on more, and it's more likely to break down, and parts might be a problem; i have about £4k of Viessmann parts coming over from Germany this weekend which are on schedule, but in future might be a problem. I'll have to fit Ideal's or Baxi's .. :annoyed:
Ideal and baxis :O
I work for BG, met up with an engineer last week as he was phoning his first customer. ‘Hope you can get it going’ he said, ‘I’ve just come back from 5 weeks in Asia’
We didn’t go lol.
Just imagine if he was carrying the virus and hadn’t said anything though. Scary how easily this thing can be passed on

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Job seems safe for now, although we’re fairly quiet.

Surprisingly the company across the road who sell toiletries wholesale are doing a roaring trade. The busiest I’ve ever seen them :laugh:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I'm 62 and work as a self-employed financial consultant to the airline industry.

With my airline clients all severely struggling, haemorrhaging cash and laying off staff, their first cost cutting measure has (understandably) been external contractors, including me. As a result, all of my employment contracts have now been mothballed until further notice, perhaps for good. Indeed, I think some of my clients may not survive the crisis.

Luckily, my wife and I have supplemental income via small pensions from former employers so we should be able to cope on that. Our lad is grown up and his job seems (relatively) safe at the moment so we've no dependents which will certainly ease the effect on us.

I feel terribly sorry for young parents whose jobs are at risk and who've got kids to feed, bills to pay, rent/mortgages to service and elderly parents to look after.

The world is going to change dramatically for a lot of people for the foreseeable future and I pray that society pulls together to help those most in need. My late parents used to tell me stories about the "Dunkirk spirit" they witnessed and in which they participated during WW2 and how they personally doubted if that would be replicated in a modern day crisis. I guess we'll find out during the coming months.

Any worker - including self-employed - who cannot work due to the pandemic should have their income guaranteed. On top of that all mortgage and rent payments should be suspended immediately. People should not be forced to work when ill - and employers should not be allowed exploit the crisis to shed jobs or contracts. Companies like Flybe should be taken into public ownership to secure employment. Governments around the world have pumped trillions into banks to bail them out - this week Trump made $50billion available for fighting Covid19, yet spent $1.5trillion trying to bail out the stock market and did no more than cause a temporary minor blip. They can now spend money supporting workers and families at this time of crisis.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
And to think a few short weeks ago people were worried with the impact of Brexit. Oh to get back to those happy days

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Any worker - including self-employed - who cannot work due to the pandemic should have their income guaranteed. On top of that all mortgage and rent payments should be suspended immediately. People should not be forced to work when ill - and employers should not be allowed exploit the crisis to shed jobs or contracts. Companies like Flybe should be taken into public ownership to secure employment. Governments around the world have pumped trillions into banks to bail them out - this week Trump made $50billion available for fighting Covid19, yet spent $1.5trillion trying to bail out the stock market and did no more than cause a temporary minor blip. They can now spend money supporting workers and families at this time of crisis.

That’s likely to happen after years of people taking from the system and a few paying there proper share we are going to be cash rich enough 🙄 we are going to be ****ed economically for years, tax payers that survive will be strumped and the ***** that live on handouts will moan there fags sky and kestrel cans have gone up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports