Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is YOUR livelihood threatened by Coronavirus (almost certainly a depressing thread)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I work in the flooring industry mainly dealing with new house builders like Barratts and others, once a lock down comes in, the shop will most likely close. I will hopefully get sick pay, however the actual fitters who are self employed are not entitled to sick pay from our company and I feel for them and other trades in the same situation. The long term impact is the worrying thing, as we may lose skilled workers, who either are not fit to return to site, or people look for a more stable alternative income with sick pay benefits etc. The building Industry is already struggling with a shortage or trades people available and a serious lack of apprenticeship opportunities, and lack of young people interested in taking trades up.

I feel for everyone, as we will all be affected in our day to day lives, hopefully this will bring out the best in humanity regardless of religion and race.
I fear people like Trump will use this as an excuse to push stupid ideas and agendas.

Good luck everyone x

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have a couple of retail outlets (non food) and expect to be told we all have to shut down soon. Staff are due holiday and so they will be good for a couple of weeks but with no income it could get tough for me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would imagine that in this 21st century interlinked global economy, there would be very, very few who won't feel the effects, although I can see how it will be more immediate for some than others. Good luck to everyone worried about their livelihoods.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Sports/football journalism's gone from "we need everyone to work all the time" this summer to having nothing to give anyone to do for the foreseeable future. A lot of the travel and logistics for Euro, the rest of the domestic season and the Olympics were arranged earlier this week. Very few in the industry, even at the top as opposed to us plankton, are on permanent long-term contracts.

As an essentially friendless person who spends a lot of time working from home, it's also been funny/sad/weirdly validating seeing people offered mental health advice on how to survive doing what I do for a limited period.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
I also work in the Travel sector. Thankfully I'm protected as an Air Traffic Controller but so many people I speak to daily will be affected and lose their work. The genuine air of panic is very difficult to witness. For companies like BA to be at risk says it all really

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I have my MOT this Friday so I am hoping that the garage will be open as usual. Money for the garage then.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I work for a company that provides corporate services to public hospitals.

My partner works for a company that provides financial services to gold mining companies.

With the health system about to be under serious pressure, and gold prices being high due to economic uncertainty, we are lucky that our livelihood is not threatened, at least in the short term.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've been out of work since September, so my savings have now gone. My wife is a dental nurse, her surgery will close and we don't think she will get paid. We're fooked!

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I run an events company, running experience days. Have postponed events until the Autumn, but the main purpose of the project is to raise money for good causes mainly by auction at balls and dinners.

These are being called off at an alarming rate and no foresight by the charity to run an online auction so no sales.

No costs, no cashflow. Have news on Tuesday about a six month job which will save me, though currently homeless and thanks only to the kindness of friends have a roof over my head, have to keep fighting.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm a civil servant, the job I do can be done from home if necessary but it is contingent upon various other government departments being in a position to carry on. If they stop (as I suspect they may well have to), then my department's work would dry up too. Not really sure what that would mean for me long term, I guess it would depend on how long this goes on for.

My partner is a university lecturer, his employers have asked that as much be done online as possible and that no staff or students attend campus unless necessary. Short term at least, he's coming into a heavy marking period which he'd do from home in any case.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Retired and currently living on work pension. Wife will be drawing her work pension in June. Both are Defined Benefit schemes so should be ok. I have another pension pot which I am leaving for now.

Currently in Spain and I was speaking to a bar owner on Friday who said the two week lockdown will be hard but if people don't come on holidays after that, he could be wiped out, as could many of them.
The taxi firm that takes us to Gatwick is also struggling, with loads of cancellations.

On the upside though, Disaster capitalists like Jacob Rees-Mogg will likely make a tidy profit out of it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Luckily nearly all my business in done on line on my own in my flat. However the housing market is already suffering hugely as people are getting too scared to make any major life changes atm so my income will reduce I am sure

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
A&E nurse. Luckily livelihood not affected, and other half works in the charity sector which we’re hoping will also be ok. She moved out of the travel industry about 9 months ago, and her old company is already making redundancies. Also have a friend who was 5 weeks into a new marketing role for a London bar and they’ve already let her go in light of what’s to come.
Really tough times coming, so hoping we can all help each other where we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I work as a debt adviser for a small charity

I'm expecting that we'll have to limit our appointments and communicate with clients over email/phone primarily which does limit the amount of work we're able to do as we prefer face to face.

When the isolation period starts to die down we're going to be VERY busy as people are likely to get into significant amounts of debt

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Umm....i do gardening and grounds maintenance and being self employed no statutory sick pay (not much lost there)....coming up to busiest time of the year where i earn most and have to work hardest...concern for some of my elderly clients, my client base is pretty well spread with managing agents, housing estate and erm a graveyard. I’d survive being off for a bit (its having a business to go back to)....trying to get things straight again after would be interesting ..but its all unknown isn’t it...so i wouldnt be totally certain on anything

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Luckily nearly all my business in done on line on my own in my flat. However the housing market is already suffering hugely as people are getting too scared to make any major life changes atm so my income will reduce I am sure

Aye and can you imagine wanting to put your house on the market and have all sorts traipsing through.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Aye and can you imagine wanting to put your house on the market and have all sorts traipsing through.

The housing market will lock down for 3-6 months like everything else and that was after 3 and a half crap brexit years and that gets resolved and then the virus immediately turns up

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
My son is an aircraft engineer with TUI. Every time I look, more holidays and cruises are being cancelled, I can’t think there’s much left of the world to fly to, at the moment. I am really worried for him, large mortgage and young children.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here