Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Woke a significant factor in any upcoming General Election?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have read a couple things recently where people have confidently predicted this is a significant factor in an upcoming General Election.

My first instinct is this is fanciful, then I wonder if it could sway large numbers of people?

Personally I have no idea if I am woke or not and therefore if there is to be a war on woke he/him has no idea which side he/him is supposed to be on.

Does any of this matter and could it really influence the way people vote?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's meaningless manufactured culture wars tedium.

It doesn't pay the bills.
This. It should be restricted to a few idiot trolls on social media. The fact that senior government ministers choose to invoke it just shows the extent to which our politics is now in the gutter.

If anything's going to be invoked in the GE now by the Tories it will be "expensive / idiotic Green taxes" anywhere that there's a Labour or Green council and any sort of proposition to tackle motor car pollution. You could hear it in JRM's smug interview on Today.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
No.

There will be many boomers who will continue to vote Torys, as they're doing alright out of all of this.

But there will also be many boomers who think, hang on, my kids and grandkids are in trouble here - and will vote for a party that they think will help their future.

Young people are really struggling. For some 'woke' (hate that stupid term) might be a factor, particularly if they have decided they feel as if they are a minority of some description... but I expect more so that the economy and the environment will be considerably more significant issues for a vast majority.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

The thoroughly unpleasant Deputy Chair of the Tories thinks it needs to be for them.to stand a chance.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes it will be a factor because it's one the few mechanisms Tories have left to appeal their current "base".

They've blown up all previous versions of "Conservatism", so haven't got anywhere else to go.

You probably won't hear a lot it nationally, but locally in dodgy election leaflets I imagine they will go for it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Young people are really struggling.
"No sympathy here. I remember in my day my mortgage rates went up to 15% and my repayments went up by £6.57 a month on my £23k house and we coped. If these young people just gave up their netflix subscription or didn't buy avocados then they'd be able to cope with these increases on their mortgages. It's their fault for over-committing and daring to dream of owning their own home. Idiots"

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It will only be a factor to those who have been mobilised by the Tory party against "woke" people in attempt to use the culture war to stay in power.

Honestly, it's so tiresome.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
As someone 'relatively' young, am I naive in thinking that elections once were based around which party you felt was best to vote for?

Now, any election seems to have been turned into some weird contest where it's completely black and white, good vs evil, "oh, you're RIGHT wing? Oh, you're a LEFTY?"

Is it not possible now to just, you know, pick the one you think has the best policies and not be signing yourself up to some sort of cult following for whatever people believe that 'side' stands for?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
As someone 'relatively' young, am I naive in thinking that elections once were based around which party you felt was best to vote for?

Now, any election seems to have been turned into some weird contest where it's completely black and white, good vs evil, "oh, you're RIGHT wing? Oh, you're a LEFTY?"

Is it not possible now to just, you know, pick the one you think has the best policies and not be signing yourself up to some sort of cult following for whatever people believe that 'side' stands for?
Not any more. Pick a side

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Indeed it was, which is why I've voted for all of three major parties over the course of my voting lifetime.

I just don't get how anyone can be a Tory or Labour voter no matter what. Both parties have, at different times, represented what I felt was best for the country and both parties, at times, clearly weren't, to me at least.

To keep sticking your cross in the same box time after time just seems a bit weird to me.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's the last argument the Tories think they can justify with the electorate.
Any other debate sees them backing themselves into a corner, with their record over the past 13 years.

They are dead and buried.
They should have had the good grace to have called an election when BoJo went.
It would have saved the country being further damaged as they go through their death throes.

All that is left is for the grifters to grasp some personal wealth/infamy for themselves as the ship sinks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's meaningless manufactured culture wars tedium.

It doesn't pay the bills or the mortgages, or set the price of petrol, or help struggling families.
who is manufacturing it though? outrage comes from both sides from what i've seen.

it wont be an issue that sways voters, will be a high profile, toxic shouting match. anyone with a firm view either way will be derided and dismiss by the other side.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Yes it will be a factor because it's one the few mechanisms Tories have left to appeal their current "base".

They've blown up all previous versions of "Conservatism", so haven't got anywhere else to go.

You probably won't hear a lot it nationally, but locally in dodgy election leaflets I imagine they will go for it.
It feels a bit like when the old filament light bulbs were banned and people were stockpiling them in an exercise in futility, because they could. At the end of the day the things were expensive to run and didn't last long, delaying the inevitable.

If somehow kicking out at "them" can become a badge of rebellion, which ends up returning a government and maintaining the status quo.....No I don't know where I am going with this, maybe because I have no idea what it looks like once the War on Woke is won. Will there be another round of 1950's style street parties to celebrate perhaps?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here