[Politics] Is Woke a significant factor in any upcoming General Election?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Inflation, Law and Order, the NHS and Immigration probably trump woke in the pecking order at the next GE.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An unpopular view coming up.

As with with BLM/blm, imho there's are two categories of 'woke'.

a) Caring, compassionate people, looking out for the planet, the less fortunate, the mentally ill, folk subject to racism or homophobia. This kindness has always been around, and in the UK at least the numbers have grown exponentially. Compare racism/homophobic/mocking of the disabled in the 70's to now, chalk and cheese, crikey we've moved on.

versus
b) Others aggressively wanting to shut down debate, cancel those not having the latest view that concurs (this isn't a left-right thing always .... look at the hate of Rowling, Prof Kathleen Stock), obsessed with rewriting history. It's their view or the highway. Inevitably this has led to a reaction from aggressive others, including far right. That always happens.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My use of the inverted commas was as an indication of being those who think all kinds of things are “woke”.

Anti-racism dance on BGT? Woke.
Taking a knee at Premier League games? Woke.
Rainbows during Pride month? Woke.

That’s not to do with the trans debate as such (a subject about which I am not even remotely well informed enough to have a strong opinion), but those spluttering social media / GB News types who think anything post-1960 is terrible.
Some of the opposition to "woke" is counter productive too.

Taking the knee is a particular example. It's a trite gesture and mis-understood in Premier League football. Kaepernick, from whom I assume it was copied, knelt during the US national anthem and to many American patriots that's a sign of huge disrespect. There was meaning in it and he stood out by doing it by himself. Had every player knelt it would have sent a strong message initially but by three weeks in it would have been just the same as standing. And there have been plenty of black PL players, including our friend Winifred who didn't agree with it.

The thing is, though, that it annoyed a huge number of people who all had one thing in common - they were massive racists. Thus I became more supportive because it turned out it was annoying exactly the people it was designed to annoy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I haven't a clue what 'Woke' means along with boomer and snowflake. I'm happy not knowing what any of them means. They're all the language of the stupid.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
An unpopular view coming up.

As with with BLM/blm, imho there's are two categories of 'woke'.

a) Caring, compassionate people, looking out for the planet, the less fortunate, the mentally ill, folk subject to racism or homophobia. This kindness has always been around, and in the UK at least the numbers have grown exponentially. Compare racism/homophobic/mocking of the disabled in the 70's to now, chalk and cheese, crikey we've moved on.

versus
b) Others aggressively wanting to shut down debate, cancel those not having the latest view that concurs (this isn't a left-right thing always .... look at the hate of Rowling, Prof Kathleen Stock), obsessed with rewriting history. It's their view or the highway. Inevitably this has led to a reaction from aggressive others, including far right. That always happens.

The thing about b) is that's mainly a debate that happens in University/Academically or within different interpretation of feminism.

It doesn't really affect 99% of the population, beyond the men who now have much nicer toilets at work.

Many of us urban types who are somewhat surrounded by "new ideas" generally ignore them. If you weren't a complete twat in the first place, it's business as usual.

The right wing politicians (and their media) have continually amplified the debate. The communists aren't coming and the anarchists aren't going to burn down the Houses of Parliament either.

To me, it's just the 80s all over again - a moral panic over Darren lives with Trevor and Steve.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Inflation, Law and Order, the NHS and Immigration probably trump woke in the pecking order at the next GE.
...and all have failed under the Tories. A war on woke will distract from this.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If wanting to be able to have an NHS dentist as was the case when I was a kid makes me woke, if wanting an education system that is accessible and affordable for people from a working class background makes me woke, if wanting an NHS that offers universal care for those sick and dying makes me woke, count me in and call me woken wokey.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The thing about b) is that's mainly a debate that happens in University/Academically or within different interpretation of feminism.

It doesn't really affect 99% of the population, beyond the men who now have much nicer toilets at work.

Many of us urban types who are somewhat surrounded by "new ideas" generally ignore them. If you weren't a complete twat in the first place, it's business as usual.

The right wing politicians (and their media) have continually amplified the debate. The communists aren't coming and the anarchists aren't going to burn down the Houses of Parliament either.

To me, it's just the 80s all over again - a moral panic over Darren lives with Trevor and Steve.
No, no, that must be wrong because according to @Tyrone Biggums children are being groomed by TikTok and all the Bruces now want to be Shielas. It'll lead to the end of the world, not to mention manly men like Tyrone having to explain to the barflys they discuss this stuff with why their son is suddenly wearing pink trousers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If wanting to be able to have an NHS dentist as was the case when I was a kid makes me woke, if wanting an education system that is accessible and affordable for people from a working class background makes me woke, if wanting an NHS that offers universal care for those sick and dying makes me woke, count me in and call me woken wokey.

I think the correct term is Winky Wokey

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The NHS and immigration are manufactured ‘wars’.
Britain takes in far fewer than any other European country, and Macron offered to house an asylum processing centre in France but Theresa May turned it down. Channel crossings have risen sharply since 2018, by design.
We need a certain amount of immigration especially in the NHS, where I am under three consultants and can’t remember the last time I spoke to a British born one.
Our own youngsters are leaving medical school with huge debts, only getting paid £14 an hour, and having to pay back their student loans. That’s why they are moving to Canada, NZ & Australia as soon as they can. Likewise dentists. I’m lucky in that my local dentists is still NHS but they’re all ethnic minorities..
when you have politicians with shares in private health voting to lower the NHS budget year on year, you know you’re in trouble.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This story came up on my twitter feed a few weeks back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-66107716

I follow a few people on Twitter who I don't necessarily agree with, but just like to get a different view of the world. A female journalist who is prominent in the Trans V Feminists debate tweeted it and the replies from her followers, quite shocked me.

Basically the police and the BBC were clearly in the wrong, these people were obviously trans and not women. Not a single word of concern for the victim of the crime and I have no idea what has happened since.

This sort of stuff, along with some of the vile "Turf" abuse thrown about does no one any favours. Plenty of points for discussion on social media or over a pint, but not something, to influence the way large numbers of people might vote, I wouldn't think?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As for law and order, it’s the party who have been in power for 13 years who closed 50% of the magistrates courts, the remaining open desperately need repairs, have poor internet coverage, have shed over 21,000 police, and ripped the CPS to ribbons. All in the name of austerity. To try and redress the balance taxes may well go up which won’t be popular, but you can’t have public services without money.
Schools likewise are also in need of repair, and retention of staff is poor.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm not sure it will have an impact on the end result, but you only have to look at the increased use of the word to know that the right will try and make it their latest divisive tactic. Woke people. Woke banks. Woke foods and drinks. Woke weather. Woke pretty much everything that moves or breathes! Where will it stop?

There's a chance it could backfire through overuse – either that or people calling out those who use it (as I did yesterday with a mate of mine – yes, I said it was shitehouse) as sounding stupid and childish.

woke banks is the funniest one

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I haven't seen any outrage.

The right uses the word in much the same way they used to use words like 'poof'.

Those accused of being woke largely just shake their heads sadly. I do, anyway.
You need to go somewhere more manly, such as Australia, none of ‘them‘ there.

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
the "woke argument" won't be a factor in the next election. It's a huge issue to a small % of the right who, despite having had a right wing government for 13 years, Brexit and countless media outlets pandering to them, always seem to want something to moan about

it's being pushed by the Tories as they know that their track record is dogshit and they're polling terribly. They know that they can't get their mates in the media to do a hatchet job on Starmer like they did on Corbyn as he's so f***ing boring that he simply doesn't have the skeletons in his closet, plus he's not even much further to the left than most of them so all they have left is to give trans people a good kicking until the next general election

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports