Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wimbledon the Holy Grail of tennis?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
You cannot really compare the Masters and the Open. The Masters is a smaller, invited field, The Open is open to all, even you and me if we are good enough and qualify. The US like to big up the Masters as many Americans do not like The Open as it isn't US style target golf. But the Masters is generally fairer than some of the US Open courses that they have to trick up to make difficult - that does not tend to happen at The Open that often. The scoring at St Andrews this year will be very low unless the weather turns bad - low scoring at The Open is not frowned upon as it is at the US Open.

personally I much prefer links golf and back in the 70' & 80's I think most of the guys on tour would have said the British Open,now I'm not so sure

the new generation of American golfers probably favour their own tournaments now

how the mainland European golfers rate the majors would be interesting to know

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
personally I much prefer links golf and back in the 70' & 80's I think most of the guys on tour would have said the British Open,now I'm not so sure

the new generation of American golfers probably favour their own tournaments now

how the mainland European golfers rate the majors would be interesting to know

I think most of the Americans have always favoured their own tournaments - quite a few of them never played in The Open even when they qualified. Tom Watson was the one who always championed The Open - every year he would spend a week at Ballybunion in Ireland to get ready for it, whilst most of the yanks were still in the US.

Interesting question re the Europeans nowadays as most of them seem to spend most of their time in the US. They all seem to have honed their games for American conditions, that's for sure.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
For horse racing :

The Kentucky Derby or Belmont Stakes in the US?
The Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe in Europe?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Interesting question re the Europeans nowadays as most of them seem to spend most of their time in the US.

The quip in the States during the last Ryder Cup was that at least a European victory would mean the trophy going back to America.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here