Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wayne Bridge our gem signing?

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
f*** me. I can't believe some people on here. We sign Wayne Bridge - Wayne f***ing Bridge and people don't think this is a gem of a signing? The guy has 36 caps for England and would have 100 if he hadn't been born in the same generation as Ashley Cole. Until a year ago, we were 'little' Brighton whose last game was at the Withdean. We had never spent over 500k on a player. It's amazing how far expectations have jumped in such a short period of time!

Having said that, I do think there is a 'spectacular' signing still to come - but lets knock the signing of Bridge - the biggest name we have in our squad that people in this country have heard of.

I understand where your coming from. But..........No-one is really knocking the signing. I am sure if you went round the Amex 99.9% of fans would rather have him than not, before they have seen him kick a ball.

I think it's more s case of we are hoping we don't end up with fools gold.

No-one was really disputing the pedigree. But his last couple of loan spells have not gone so well.

Now that might be tactics or whatever. I think some on here are just reserving judgement until they see him in the flesh.

10,000 a week is a lot for a defender in our team. Although we are building for the prem, a lot on here are getting ahead of themselves. They are forgetting the likes of Leicester, Cardiff, boro, Birmingham, wolves, Bolton, Blackburn, Leeds, forest and derby.

It's tough competition in this league. Names alone will not get you promoted. Leicester found that out last year.

So although he is the biggest name in an Albion shirt (besides Vicente.) let's see him live up to that reputation. After all I have only had 20 odd years of stress and anxiety watching the Albion. Others have had a lot more.

I think that journey makes you naturally cautious of fools gold.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
when did so many Brighton fans become such dickheads?

we've signed a left back who has played significant number of games for England and top clubs in the country, will only have turned 32 at the start of the season and simply needs some games under his belt after a lean period.

and people are unsure whether he'll add much to our side?

f*** me, talk about losing a sense of perspective.

That would be from very naive Painter loyalists. Bridge is a class or 2 above that, whether they like it or not.

Painter was great in our promotion season & before, but against League One widemen. Unfortunately, he has no pace.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I don't think he is. Gus has already said we tried to get him in January. This implies that he was "last year's standard", the bar is much higher this year. I expect to be blown-away by at least one signing.

Oh, by the way, I think Bridge is also a good signing for us.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
From a poster on the Sheff Weds board:

"The just need ten decent players to add into their squad in addition to Bridge, to become a competitive side in the division.

I still fancy them to struggle"

???

This one made me chuckle

"Wonder if they'll be able to get all the splinters out his arse before the season starts!"

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The Gem was mentioned ages ago - the Bridge signing happened in 2 days and was not expected. So he is a Gem, but not "the Gem" mentioned prior to this.

What can we expect next? Amazing times - just enjoy the ride!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think we will sign a forward soon for a lot of money

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Not a gem signing but I wish we went for stech after West Ham let him go, he is a top young keeper, bags of potential. Just wanted more football.

Realistically who would you look at for a striker, I think he will be Spanish or south American

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Classic by Sheffield Wednesday. Clearly knows nothing about our club. I've got a Palace fan on Twitter telling me that Ankergren is better than Kooshak and part from Vicente he wouldn't swap Cline and Winifred for any of our signings Deluded.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Has been awful the last few years but should be good in the Championship, certainly no gem or he would have gone to a prem club. He could barely get in the West ham team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here