Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is VAR working better than some pundits, fans and players think in the Premier League?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was watching an Irish channel the other day and they were discussing the Spurs debacle. They suggested that there may be an unofficial hierarchy amongst the referees with "junior" officials reluctant to tell their "senior" colleagues they may have got it wrong.
I thought it was a good argument and could go some way to explain things. If true then hopefully Webb, between writing apologies, can instil a more egalitarian culture with everyone accepting correction, no matter their length of tenure.
Miking up the refs would be a huge step forward.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't be surprised if it was working better.
What VAR does is give no margin for error, which is the part that makes a mockery of the whole system.

We know for a fact those that think they know football - know next to nothing.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
“However, there is a feeling within PGMOL that the noise generated by certain small clubs is pointless against the aim of guaranteeing the Big 6 status quo."

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
PGMOL does not feel the overall situation is as bad as the one being portrayed

That's exactly why it will never improve. They don't recognise there's a problem. If they were really interested in improving they would see the "amount of noise" as a wake up call.

The reason their stats might look like they're improving is they are only looking at the decisions they accept were bad enough to provide an apology on in the first place.

There are plenty, plenty, where they just say nothing and pretend they got it right.

The real problem isn't the amount of noise, it's that there isn't more noise when their errors aren't seen to affect the result.

Yes I'm still angry about Spurs.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
“However, there is a feeling within PGMOL that the noise generated by certain small clubs is pointless against the aim of guaranteeing the Big 6 status quo."
I see what you did there 😂

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Even if VAR got every decision absolutely spot on, it has still sucked the spontaneous joy and passion out of the game.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Making it up as they go along. Who decided what decisions were ‘right’? I wonder.

The fans are the ones who pay to watch games every week, and the VAR experience inside the stadium is an absolute farce, there’s no clear indication of what’s going on etc, they need to be more transparent… even if it means we get to hear what the VAR referee is saying to the on pitch ref.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Just feel like they're trying to cover themselves. But it's clear as day light how shit the whole thing is.

The entitlement is infuriating.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Making it up as they go along. Who decided what decisions were ‘right’? I wonder.

The fans are the ones who pay to watch games every week, and the VAR experience inside the stadium is an absolute farce, there’s no clear indication of what’s going on etc, they need to be more transparent… even if it means we get to hear what the VAR referee is saying to the on pitch ref.
I think everyone can accept there is a degree of interpretation in some decision making, but some of it is simply true or false. Over the line or not, onside or offside.

Putting the offside line on the incorrect defender is WRONG. Failing to call a referee to the monitor when it is obvious from a replay that the defender has trodden on the attacker's foot or blatantly tripped the forward is WRONG.

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for that offside at Palace decision. It was disgraceful. And words fail me when describing that Spurs game. They were either incompetent or corrupt, it's as simple as that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here